American moving to SD

Celery013

Sep 21, 2006
I am planning to move to Santo Domingo within the next 5 months, and I need some information about living costs and about the different parts of the city.
I have been to Santo Domingo many times, but I am really only familiar with the Colonial Zone. While I'm comfortable with this area, I feel like it's really expensive for living. Which other area would be a nice place for an American woman to settle in?
Also, I know that Americans are often overcharged if they aren't aware of the price norms, so I want to be prepared for that. How much should rent typically cost per month? I am looking for a 1-2 bedroom apartment...would you suggest renting a furnished or unfurnished apartment? I'm pretty flexible, so if I have to furnish a place, it's not an issue for me. I just don't want to find myself paying lots of extra money, when there could have been an easier way...
Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Please Be Less Specific!

:cheeky: ;)
How about; where do you want to live? How big/small of an apt. do you want? Give us an idea of your budget for "Housing" and we can then tell you what is available and at what cost.
"Furniture", is VERY expensive here,and the cheap stuff is really crap! Furnished may be better for you.
We want to help,but ask VERY specific questions and you will get VERY specific answers!
Cris Colon

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
will you be going to work? are you an artist? do you plan on walking everywhere? 17 years ago when i first started going to SD i always arrived at night, can't see anything at night. i would take the taxi to the poor neighborhood i called home, during one general strike the taxi drivers all refused to take me there saying it was too dangerous. the rest of my time there would be in that neighborhood, friends, bars, car wash, we would swim in a nearby river, i had really no reason to leave the area. eventually i thought that the whole country looked like my poor barrio. i did not know there was a colonial zone, arroyo hondo, gazcue. i laugh about it now. SD is a big city, do you want to be stuck in traffic? there are some great places to live but, you might need a car to stay there.........

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The search button is your friend. Search on 'rent in santo domingo', search on 'santo domingo' and all will be revealed :cheeky: Come back with more specific questions.

holita

Jun 6, 2006
I am american and moving in 3 months!!!

HEY...I am moving to Santo Domingo in 3 months....

I am american too....

anyway, pm me if you have any questions. I have already gotten a job, and I am looking for an apartment....Thanks....;)

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Easy Homework for Novio

I am planning to move to Santo Domingo within the next 5 months, and I need some information about living costs and about the different parts of the city.

Hmm, not going to law school in September then? ;)

What I do not understand, however, is why you don't rely on your Dominican boyfriend's knowledge of the country, its living costs and so on....

mountainfrog

Celery013

Sep 21, 2006
:cheeky: ;)
How about; where do you want to live? How big/small of an apt. do you want? Give us an idea of your budget for "Housing" and we can then tell you what is available and at what cost.
"Furniture", is VERY expensive here,and the cheap stuff is really crap! Furnished may be better for you.
We want to help,but ask VERY specific questions and you will get VERY specific answers!
Cris Colon

I don't need a lot of living space, it's just going to be me, and most likely my best girl friend. So I'm really just looking for 1 or 2 bedrooms. As long as I have a full kitchen and a little living space I'll be happy. In terms of budget, I was thinking somewhere along the lines of US$400 or $500 max. I mean, I'd prefer to find something for cheaper, but that's really as high as I would want to go...

I don't really know what part of the city I want to live in. I've applied to jobs that are pretty much spread out all over the city, so.....I'm pretty much looking for feedback on what's a good place. I don't mind a little commute to work if it means I'll be living in a nicer area, know what I mean? I'd just like to be somewhere that's in the center of everything....

Celery013

Sep 21, 2006
a little independance please...

Hmm, not going to law school in September then? ;)

What I do not understand, however, is why you don't rely on your Dominican boyfriend's knowledge of the country, its living costs and so on....

mountainfrog

lol, no m'frog, i decided law school is not for me. i do discuss living costs with my boyfriend, but he can only tell me what it's like living in the DR as a dominican. i want some feedback from americans/canadians living there to see how difficult/easy their time has been establishing themselves. what i don't want to do is have him set everything up for me so that i'm like a lost puppy without him. if i'm going to move to a different country, i need to know some things for myself. but thanks for your concerns, doll.... ;) :cool:

holita

Jun 6, 2006
lol, no m'frog, i decided law school is not for me. i do discuss living costs with my boyfriend, but he can only tell me what it's like living in the DR as a dominican. i want some feedback from americans/canadians living there to see how difficult/easy their time has been establishing themselves. what i don't want to do is have him set everything up for me so that i'm like a lost puppy without him. if i'm going to move to a different country, i need to know some things for myself. but thanks for your concerns, doll.... ;) :cool:

I agree...I have family and Dominican friends in the DR, but I like to get advice from americans like me...their perspective is better. When I ask my uncle anything, his response is..."Relax, don't worry, it is no problem." LOL!!!:cheeky:

SO, I feel your pain....anyway, let me know if you need some advice. I have been to Santo Domingo so many times and know a good bit about what areas are good and what areas are not so good for americans....PM me i you would like some help.

Celery013

Sep 21, 2006
here we go again

The "Scale of Justice" has tipped. Obviously a Dominican boyfriend outweighs an American law school education.

No, the 2 can't compare. I just don't want to be a lawyer. I want to get involved in developing countries, maybe working with the UN or an NGO, and I thought that as a lawyer, I could get myself into international politics more easily. But then I learned that I can get my Masters in Global Affairs instead and break into it that way. But before I commit to more education, I want to get some exposure to the field first. So I'm looking to get involved while I'm in the DR, since many NGO's have offices located in SD. But I'm pretty sure that that convo should go on the employment board.

holita

Jun 6, 2006
The "Scale of Justice" has tipped. Obviously a Dominican boyfriend outweighs an American law school education.

I am a lawyer. I went to law school....and trust me, it is not for everyone. If she is even a little bit doubtful about it, better she does not waste all her money on the education. It is not cheap. TRUST ME!!!;)

holita

Jun 6, 2006
Area and Apartment Info

I have been to Santo Domingo many times, but I am really only familiar with the Colonial Zone. While I'm comfortable with this area, I feel like it's really expensive for living. Which other area would be a nice place for an American woman to settle in?
Also, I know that Americans are often overcharged if they aren't aware of the price norms, so I want to be prepared for that. How much should rent typically cost per month? I am looking for a 1-2 bedroom apartment...would you suggest renting a furnished or unfurnished apartment?

From what I have seen and learned....these areas are good areas for Americans to live: Gazcue, Naco, El Million, Evaritos Morales, Bella Vista, Le Esperilla, Zona Colonial, Zona Universidad, La Julia and Piantini. You can see those places on this map:http://www.bocachicabeach.net/images/maps/map_santo_domingo_merge_low.jpg

Now even the "good" neighborhoods are dangerous...Santo domingo is not a po-dunk town in MidWest American...it is a large city in a developing Country...so just be careful any where you go.

Also, you have to watch out though, because almost every "good" neighboorhood is surrounded by a not so "good" neighboorhood. So you just have to actually go and see for yourself. That is what I did. I spent 6 days just going from area to area, learning the city and learning where to go and not to go. That helped me get a better grasp of the city. For example, you can see a apartment online that says it is in Naco, and go and see it is actually in La Fe...not good. So look at everything before you see it...and if it seems too cheap to be real...it probably is not a good place to live.

Now for prices...from what I have seem, most are between 300-600 a month furnished or unfurnished...depending on the area....just look around and see what you find. Hope I helped you.

I have received so much help from this board...just trying to give some help in return!!!;)

holita

Jun 6, 2006
I rest my case.

:cheeky: That is actually my little inside joke...I tell everyone that "TRUST me, I am a lawyer." LOL!!! Love me, hate me, trust me, whatever...I am still a lawyer...and I damn good one too....;)