Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default American moving to SD

I am planning to move to Santo Domingo within the next 5 months, and I need some information about living costs and about the different parts of the city.
    I have been to Santo Domingo many times, but I am really only familiar with the Colonial Zone. While I'm comfortable with this area, I feel like it's really expensive for living. Which other area would be a nice place for an American woman to settle in?
    Also, I know that Americans are often overcharged if they aren't aware of the price norms, so I want to be prepared for that. How much should rent typically cost per month? I am looking for a 1-2 bedroom apartment...would you suggest renting a furnished or unfurnished apartment? I'm pretty flexible, so if I have to furnish a place, it's not an issue for me. I just don't want to find myself paying lots of extra money, when there could have been an easier way...
    Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Please Be Less Specific!

How about; where do you want to live? How big/small of an apt. do you want? Give us an idea of your budget for "Housing" and we can then tell you what is available and at what cost.
    "Furniture", is VERY expensive here,and the cheap stuff is really crap! Furnished may be better for you.
    We want to help,but ask VERY specific questions and you will get VERY specific answers!
    Cris Colon

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

will you be going to work? are you an artist? do you plan on walking everywhere? 17 years ago when i first started going to SD i always arrived at night, can't see anything at night. i would take the taxi to the poor neighborhood i called home, during one general strike the taxi drivers all refused to take me there saying it was too dangerous. the rest of my time there would be in that neighborhood, friends, bars, car wash, we would swim in a nearby river, i had really no reason to leave the area. eventually i thought that the whole country looked like my poor barrio. i did not know there was a colonial zone, arroyo hondo, gazcue. i laugh about it now. SD is a big city, do you want to be stuck in traffic? there are some great places to live but, you might need a car to stay there.........

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The search button is your friend. Search on 'rent in santo domingo', search on 'santo domingo' and all will be revealed Come back with more specific questions.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I am american and moving in 3 months!!!

HEY...I am moving to Santo Domingo in 3 months....

I am american too....

anyway, pm me if you have any questions. I have already gotten a job, and I am looking for an apartment....Thanks....

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Easy Homework for Novio

Quote Originally Posted by Celery013 View Post
    I am planning to move to Santo Domingo within the next 5 months, and I need some information about living costs and about the different parts of the city.
    Hmm, not going to law school in September then?

What I do not understand, however, is why you don't rely on your Dominican boyfriend's knowledge of the country, its living costs and so on....

mountainfrog

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon View Post

How about; where do you want to live? How big/small of an apt. do you want? Give us an idea of your budget for "Housing" and we can then tell you what is available and at what cost.
    "Furniture", is VERY expensive here,and the cheap stuff is really crap! Furnished may be better for you.
    We want to help,but ask VERY specific questions and you will get VERY specific answers!
    Cris Colon
    I don't need a lot of living space, it's just going to be me, and most likely my best girl friend. So I'm really just looking for 1 or 2 bedrooms. As long as I have a full kitchen and a little living space I'll be happy. In terms of budget, I was thinking somewhere along the lines of US$400 or $500 max. I mean, I'd prefer to find something for cheaper, but that's really as high as I would want to go...

I don't really know what part of the city I want to live in. I've applied to jobs that are pretty much spread out all over the city, so.....I'm pretty much looking for feedback on what's a good place. I don't mind a little commute to work if it means I'll be living in a nicer area, know what I mean? I'd just like to be somewhere that's in the center of everything....

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default a little independance please...

Quote Originally Posted by mountainfrog View Post
    Hmm, not going to law school in September then?

What I do not understand, however, is why you don't rely on your Dominican boyfriend's knowledge of the country, its living costs and so on....

mountainfrog

lol, no m'frog, i decided law school is not for me. i do discuss living costs with my boyfriend, but he can only tell me what it's like living in the DR as a dominican. i want some feedback from americans/canadians living there to see how difficult/easy their time has been establishing themselves. what i don't want to do is have him set everything up for me so that i'm like a lost puppy without him. if i'm going to move to a different country, i need to know some things for myself. but thanks for your concerns, doll....

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

lol, no m'frog, i decided law school is not for me.
    The "Scale of Justice" has tipped. Obviously a Dominican boyfriend outweighs an American law school education.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

lol, no m'frog, i decided law school is not for me. i do discuss living costs with my boyfriend, but he can only tell me what it's like living in the DR as a dominican. i want some feedback from americans/canadians living there to see how difficult/easy their time has been establishing themselves. what i don't want to do is have him set everything up for me so that i'm like a lost puppy without him. if i'm going to move to a different country, i need to know some things for myself. but thanks for your concerns, doll....
    I agree...I have family and Dominican friends in the DR, but I like to get advice from americans like me...their perspective is better. When I ask my uncle anything, his response is..."Relax, don't worry, it is no problem." LOL!!!

SO, I feel your pain....anyway, let me know if you need some advice. I have been to Santo Domingo so many times and know a good bit about what areas are good and what areas are not so good for americans....PM me i you would like some help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast