POPULATION figures

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucine

Mar 21, 2007
does anyone have an idea what the population of Sousa, Cabarete, and POP. info would be much appereciated. I tried to search old threads to no avail thanks by the way I have my glasses on

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
300K seems too much

300K seems too much for the Municipality of POP.
I was told by an official in POP a year and a half ago that it was 245K.
In 1984 the number was 45K. A flattening growth curve -- flattening because of the expansiion of Sosua, Cabarete and Luper?n and the decline in downtown business -- should make it near 260K plus these days.

A

apostropheman

Population: 312,706 (2002 Census)
Puerto Plata Province - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[SIZE=-1]Cabarete's population of 15000 swells to about 45000 with visitors a year.
The Globe and Mail: Search Results

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Sosua Facts:. Population: 12.000
Sosua (Dominican Republic): General and tourism information

Sosua including surrounding areas: [/SIZE]Approximate population for 7 km radius from this point: 20514
[SIZE=-1]http://www.fallingrain.com/world/DR/18/Sosua.html

...it's as easy as google:bunny::bunny:
[/SIZE]

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
Province is not Municipality. Province of POP includes Sosua, Luper?n, Isabela, Alta Mira, Guananico .... and, I believe, Cabarete.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You can be sure that the Globe & Mail stats are bogus.
Look at the first sentence.
Ten years ago, this was a quiet little fishing village just being discovered by windsurfers. Cabarete's population of 15,000 swells to about 45,000 with visitors a year.
What a crock.
I lived there in "91, and it was far from being a lazy little fishing village, in fact, Cabarete hosted world circuit windsurfing championships.
5,000 guesstimate is a lot closer than their load of BS.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Sousa and Cabarete are not part of POP. If you live there you vote in Sabaneta. The bridge in Congrejo is the dividing point.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sousa and Cabarete are not part of POP. If you live there you vote in Sabaneta. The bridge in Congrejo is the dividing point.
That is incorrect.
Sosua & Cabarete are both in Puerto Plata province.
PS: Puerto Plata province ends just East of Sabaneta, and changes to Espaillat.

Last edited:

lucine

Mar 21, 2007
Wow, thanks so much for the info, guestimates, and links. i FOUND THE POPULATION OF SOUSA THE MOST SURPRISING. not haveing visited yet I assumed that Cabarete and sOUSA WERE Aabout the same size. sorry I keep hitting the cap lock. again thanks a whole bunch everybody!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
The last I heard (from a politician) the population of "greater Puerto Plata" was between 150,000 and 160,000.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The last I heard (from a politician) the population of "greater Puerto Plata" was between 150,000 and 160,000.
I suppose that makes sense, if the whole province has double that.
The part that doesn't make sense, is a politician telling the truth.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Is Cabarete still within the municipality of Sos?a?

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This is how it's perceived here.
Sosua belongs to Puerto Plata, and Cabarete belongs to Sosua, whatever the heck that means.
That's how cops and politicians say it.
The municipality of Sosua includes Cabarete, so in theory and politically Cabarete is nothing more than a "neighborhood" or village within the municipality of Sosua.

However, in reality people refer to Sosua and Cabarete as if they are two distinct towns when in fact, they are politically one entity. Not only that, but all the campos in the area between Sosua and Cabarete fall witihn the municipality of Sosua.

I was asking to make sure that what I knew about the municipality of Sosua/Cabarete still holds true and apparently, it still does.

As for the Sosua belongs to Puerto Plata, perhaps they mean Puerto Plata province, because the municipality of Puerto Plata and the municipality of Sosua are two distinct municipalities within one common province which happens to be named Puerto Plata, like the capital itself.

Personally, I think the name of the provinces and their capitals should each be different rather than having so much redundancy and hence, unnecessary confusion.

-NALs

Status
Not open for further replies.