Motorcycles prices in the DR

LOCAITO BLANCITO

Apr 2, 2007
Just wanted to know how much a new 2007 dirtbike motorcycle goes for in the DR. Also if it was to be registered and insured (how much is that as well) And does it have to have lights and turn signials.

thanks
loco

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
Depends what kinda bike you want.
You can get a brand new chinese bike here for under 3000$USD, but do you really want that?
I'm not sure on the japcrap prices but obviously yam, suz, hon, kaw all have better track records. Lights and signals, from what I see you don't need 'em however if you intend on staying alive on the roads, especially after dark, you may want to "splash out". Insurance is DIRT. Thank god something is still cheap here. I got my car insurance last week for 2900RD$ :)
: pp

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Depends what kinda bike you want.
You can get a brand new chinese bike here for under 3000$USD, but do you really want that?
I'm not sure on the japcrap prices but obviously yam, suz, hon, kaw all have better track records. Lights and signals, from what I see you don't need 'em however if you intend on staying alive on the roads, especially after dark, you may want to "splash out". Insurance is DIRT. Thank god something is still cheap here. I got my car insurance last week for 2900RD$ :)
: pp
I believe that $3,000 is more like the price of a Yamaha DT125, while Chinese might me 50 or 60% of that price, not that I've seen any dual purpose Chinese bikes here.

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
Maybe they're not Chinese

The place I'm talking about is across from Playero supermercado in Sosua. They sell mostly scooters, some bikes and a few cars. They had bikes I'd never heard of before, so I assumed Chinese....however they could be Italian. Not sure. Bikes here seem to be a good deal though, which is nice.
: p.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The place I'm talking about is across from Playero supermercado in Sosua. They sell mostly scooters, some bikes and a few cars. They had bikes I'd never heard of before, so I assumed Chinese....however they could be Italian. Not sure. Bikes here seem to be a good deal though, which is nice.
: p.
I know who you mean.
His name escapes me right now.
You are right that all those unpronounceable bike brands are Chinese.
I'd be surprised if any of them are $3 K, but anything's possible.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Benny Katz had a few dozen brand new motorcycles on his lot last time I was down. Right across from the big Playero.

tambo'

LOCAITO BLANCITO

Apr 2, 2007
I am thinking of a suzucki for a 4 stroke lets say a 2007 Suzuki DR650SE or a 250 two stoke (almost the same power)

thanks

loco

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
thats not to bad for 12.5 hp. lol

thanks for the info

loco
But they're so light, that they actually are quite peppy.

When in real rough terrain, it's a heck of a lot easier to handle than a 650, both because it's lighter and not as tall as most.
Of course it sounds like a sewing machine and pollutes like crazy.
Nobody wants to be behind you on a long bike ride, as the fumes are so bloody stinky & toxic.
Honda has some 4 strokers with electric starters.
I don't know how hard they are to find, but I've seen a few 150's and 200's.

BAMullins

Oct 28, 2004
www.dominicancrossroads.com
The Honda NXR125 4-stroke is going for $100,000RD in Sosua. See "Racing Richard", just east of Sosua on the road to Thunder Ranch, right behind Garden Kids School. You might want to look into something used as well, as there is a pretty heavy tax added to new bikes.

MrRiley

Feb 6, 2007
Loco..
If you want a true dirtbike, that's not a problem. They are all over the place. They have full schedules of MX and enduro in this country. It just depends on what you want to do with it. I am confused as you meantion dirtbike and then mention a Suzuki 650. You could not take a 650 into the mountains here. The trails here are good and tough. I do know a guy with a KTM 640 adventurer but he mostly rides the roads and sometimes dirt roads. If you want to go in the mountains, lots of guys ride KTM,Yamaha,Suzuki,Honda. Prices vary, a new 2 stroke 250 is approx 9k, while a 4 stroke can go for up to 11k. Depends on what you want. I know where there is a very nice 05 Suzuki RM250 for 4k. Used DRZ's are available as well. So, first you need to decide on what you want and then finding it's not really the problem. Here is a link that shows some used bikes: Motoventas.com 2007
You can PM me if you have more questions.

Have a Deluxe Day!!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Loco..
If you want a true dirtbike, that's not a problem. They are all over the place. They have full schedules of MX and enduro in this country. It just depends on what you want to do with it. I am confused as you meantion dirtbike and then mention a Suzuki 650. You could not take a 650 into the mountains here. The trails here are good and tough. I do know a guy with a KTM 640 adventurer but he mostly rides the roads and sometimes dirt roads. If you want to go in the mountains, lots of guys ride KTM,Yamaha,Suzuki,Honda. Prices vary, a new 2 stroke 250 is approx 9k, while a 4 stroke can go for up to 11k. Depends on what you want. I know where there is a very nice 05 Suzuki RM250 for 4k. Used DRZ's are available as well. So, first you need to decide on what you want and then finding it's not really the problem. Here is a link that shows some used bikes: Motoventas.com 2007
You can PM me if you have more questions.

Have a Deluxe Day!!
Are those US dollars?

I agree that the bigger bikes are so much more difficult to maneuver on tiny trails, up & down mountains, even if you have long legs, but specially for shorter people.
Of course, on the main roads, the bigger bikes are better in power, stability, cruising speed, visibility over cars, etc.

MrRiley

Feb 6, 2007
Yes, dollars, sorry about that..
There is alot of choices out there, just depends on what you want and what you want to do with it.

BAMullins

Oct 28, 2004
www.dominicancrossroads.com
I have a friend selling a brand new 07 Honda 250 Tornado. Nice on-off road bike with 700km on it. I think he's asking $4500US, around the same price as a new Yamaha DT 125 2-stroke. Personally I like the 4-stroke Hondas. Good mileage, go anywhere, reliable. PM me and I can get you his e-mail if you're interested.

Brian