Are Dominican women high mantaince?Social climbers??

Kimmir

Mar 7, 2007
I mean no offense I am just asking? Here is why I have been to Dominican Republic 5 times since December each trip two weeks at a time. I have been training in the free zone. First let me say that I am an American Female and of course I get alot of attention but in order to find out why I have been talking with male co-workers that are single there. The tell me they are to poor for a women and that the women needs the salon and clothes and jewelry and make up and nice house etc etc some of these guys are really smart and educated and hard working. In the states I am responible for my own clothes I dont go to the salon I do it myself and I buy most of my own Jewelry.

I guess the one thing that floors me most is the way the supervisors act like they are sooooooooooooo much above the employees!?!?! I am probably considered pretty wealthy buy most of the supervisors I am training. I am in it getting dirty training there operators but yet they act superior to them in a few months they will be doing what I do getting dirty to get the job done. I probably have five times their wealth but I am not above doing what it takes to get the job done. (dont get me wrong I am a middle class american that does not try to keep up with the Jones) .

I guess what makes some Dominican Women ask so much of a Dominican man? are they all that way or are these guys Im working with looking for the perfect 10??

G

gary short

Geez....they're just looking for another girlfriend. especially if they're married...a few more pesos and SHAZAMMM........a new girlfriend.

Kimmir

Mar 7, 2007
I agree about the finger nails on the women I am training men supervisors they dont have and probably wont have women superviors for a long time.

May 31, 2005
I don't even get what your point is. I am a Dominican woman and all I can tell you is that there are high maintenance gals and social climbers in all countries. Don't generalize...

Kimmir

Mar 7, 2007
No point I was asking a question. And your right It seems as if I was generalizing. I was asking if dominican women are high maintaince because that what I have been told by co-workers who dont have girlfriends. Maybe gary is right maybe they are just looking for another girlfriend or a better one? I work with several fine Dominican Women who dont seem to be all about themselves and there are quite a few who are all about themselves Maybe these guys are just looking for a perfect 10? Where I am from most of the women would really like a guy that is good looking, hard working and would not care about how much money they made?Is it different in D.R. or is that just a line I am getting?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
The women that are high maintenance are looking for a male who has $$$$.
Even many 'poor' girls will all of a sudden need the 'salon' , the 'nails', the 'clothes', the 'cell phone', etc.etc. once they get a guy who has a few pesos.
It's all about showing 'up' (more than showing 'off') to their friends - to say they have a guy who has money!!
For a lot of people here in the DR it's all about showing that you're "better" than your neighbour which is why you'll see a car (or better yet a jeepeta) parked outside a wood shack with a tin roof!

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Surely if they are they have learnt this trait from American women? who have throughout the globe a reputation for being VERY high maintenance, maybe thats why soooooooo many American men come here hoping to find women on the cheap:cheeky:

cuas

May 29, 2006
Culture thing? I grew up in Aruba from Dominican parents. You only dress up with you go out. We moved to DR. I was 14. I had to dress up every afternoon. Everybody does that. If you do not have the money to go to a salon any neighbor can fix your hair or nails and for them it is a fun thing to do. This can be felt more in the barrios. You will see the children in the afternoon with clean clothes no matter they has holes in them.
They grow up this way, to keep clean and to look their best, although there exceptions everywhere.
Yes some men look down to women. Women are raised to serve a man and to take care of the children. Some men do not allow their woman to work. This is a control issue. They are the man.
In a lot of household the woman is in control but for the manhood they pretend that the man is in control.
More women are stepping up, but is a mental thing. My best friend comes home from work to cook for her 22 years old son. I told her my son is 14 and when I get home sometimes he tells me not to worry because he ate already. She told me it is a Dominican thing, because he is a boy he cannot wash dishes or cook and she is an accountant. I wanted to help him to come to the USA but I am not cooking for a man.

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
More women are stepping up, but is a mental thing. My best friend comes home from work to cook for her 22 years old son. I told her my son is 14 and when I get home sometimes he tells me not to worry because he ate already. She told me it is a Dominican thing, because he is a boy he cannot wash dishes or cook and she is an accountant. I wanted to help him to come to the USA but I am not cooking for a man.

This is the thing that both amuses me and confounds me the most about latinas. I adore them - haven't dated a gringa in many years - but the truth is, all latin culture remains the same. Many of the women love to complain about how the latin men are such dogs, so machista, etc - then raise their sons to be EXACTLY the same way.

I once had a gal in Peru inform me that she could not travel overnight, because her twin, 32-year-old-sons, who each own successful businesses, would have no one to cook for them! I asked "WTF? Your 32-year old sons still live in your house????" Of course they do! They haven't yet found women to marry them, and become their nannies/maids - so mommy still cooks and cleans for them, in her home.....

Younger mothers seem to be less this way in general, but still rasing their little princes to be coddled by some poor woman.

I long since stopped trying to have rational conversations on this subject with latina moms - now I just giggle.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Culture thing? I grew up in Aruba from Dominican parents. You only dress up with you go out. We moved to DR. I was 14. I had to dress up every afternoon. Everybody does that. If you do not have the money to go to a salon any neighbor can fix your hair or nails and for them it is a fun thing to do. This can be felt more in the barrios. You will see the children in the afternoon with clean clothes no matter they has holes in them.
They grow up this way, to keep clean and to look their best, although there exceptions everywhere.
Yes some men look down to women. Women are raised to serve a man and to take care of the children. Some men do not allow their woman to work. This is a control issue. They are the man.
In a lot of household the woman is in control but for the manhood they pretend that the man is in control.

cuas, loved your post. thanks for that

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
No point I was asking a question. And your right It seems as if I was generalizing. I was asking if dominican women are high maintaince because that what I have been told by co-workers who dont have girlfriends. Maybe gary is right maybe they are just looking for another girlfriend or a better one? I work with several fine Dominican Women who dont seem to be all about themselves and there are quite a few who are all about themselves Maybe these guys are just looking for a perfect 10? Where I am from most of the women would really like a guy that is good looking, hard working and would not care about how much money they made?Is it different in D.R. or is that just a line I am getting?

You might get the wrong opinion of a lot of these girls thinking that they are gold diggers. But what they see everyday hardens them for example a lot have no father role model the only man they knew was the fellow the mother was always fighting with trying to get money from him to buy dippers and milk. There is a belief in most young girls that man gets them pregnant and then leave. The belief s [ALL MEN ARE ALIKE] All they need to do is look around and it proves they are right. When the girl is only trying to get as much as she can before you leave.
The men have the same problem no father role model as well. They only know that women that cuddled them and gave them everything. There was no man around to show them the responsibly of being a father or good husband.

Kimmir

Mar 7, 2007
Thanks to all that took no offense and offered some real in sight to the Dominincan way. I come from pretty much a dirt poor american family and it seems so Fussy to have to have Nails and Hair and Clothes when you can barely feed you family. I admit though they all dress very well even in the fabrica!! Thanks again and again no offense I just didnt no how to ask.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Yes and Yes, Dominican mothers spoiled their boys rotten, once they're grown they can't do anything for themselves and they don't help with raising the children when they get married.

oh boy I am definitly not spoiling my 16 year old son, he is very capable, and when he says his sister should be doing this and that because she's a girl, I tell him "don't you come with that excuse you are very capable of doing it too". But to the OP, those trainees are telling you that they don't have girlfriends to see if they have a chance with you, men never admit they have someone, they are always single.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
men never admit they have someone, they are always single.

would that be dominican men or SOME men ? is this statement from an experience ?

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As MAR says, it's mainly a line. They are trying to soften you up by saying that you are oh so superior to the local women. Some may well be "high maintenance" but most just want a man who treats them well, like women all over the world, and experience proves that this is not an easy thing to achieve when it comes to DR men. Maybe you should turn the tables on them and ask them whether it's true what they say about DR men!

is mikehunt there

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 18, 2007
I mean no offense I am just asking? Here is why I have been to Dominican Republic 5 times since December each trip two weeks at a time. I have been training in the free zone. First let me say that I am an American Female and of course I get alot of attention but in order to find out why I have been talking with male co-workers that are single there. The tell me they are to poor for a women and that the women needs the salon and clothes and jewelry and make up and nice house etc etc some of these guys are really smart and educated and hard working. In the states I am responible for my own clothes I dont go to the salon I do it myself and I buy most of my own Jewelry.

I guess the one thing that floors me most is the way the supervisors act like they are sooooooooooooo much above the employees!?!?! I am probably considered pretty wealthy buy most of the supervisors I am training. I am in it getting dirty training there operators but yet they act superior to them in a few months they will be doing what I do getting dirty to get the job done. I probably have five times their wealth but I am not above doing what it takes to get the job done. (dont get me wrong I am a middle class american that does not try to keep up with the Jones) .

I guess what makes some Dominican Women ask so much of a Dominican man? are they all that way or are these guys Im working with looking for the perfect 10??

look, ive had a number of conversations with DR women about what they want
SECURITY

I guess when the DR female meets a man that has just spent
  • $400-$1000 on an airfare just to get to the DR
  • $20-$60 a night on hotel accomodation
  • $10-$50 a day on food
or who has bought land in Sosua/cabarete etc.........she knows immediately that if she hooks up with this guy he can afford to pay for her fingernails (which i believe is around 300pesos in pop)
In my humble opinion women are the same everywhere with respect to how they want to present themselves to the public......they all want to be STUNNERS!!!!!!!! Its just that in the DR to get their hair extentions/nails done etc they havent got $30+ to afford this like you (the OP) may have!!!

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
men never admit they have someone, they are always single.

would that be dominican men or SOME men ? is this statement from an experience ?

There are men who tell you the truth. It is in the DR and all over the world. I respect such people. If a man tells me he has no one - I think he is a lier and have no trust or respect for him because he disrespects his wife and other women he is with.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
so you have experience with men lying to you ? how do you know they are lying ?

if men lie to you it's saying something about men but it also saying A LOT about you. think about it..

meanwhile, back at the batcave....