funeral directors..a morbid question..

mavethebrave

Apr 8, 2007
I am an English Funeral Director, moving out to DR with my family. I want to stay in the same trade - can anybody give me info on the funerals over there? Obviously I want to do my homework before I up sticks and leave, any information anyone could give would be gratefully received! I also perform the actual funeral service (non religous ) - do you think there is a buisness oportunity out there or will I just waste my time?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The systems and processes are very different you know. There is a different set of values here. I guess what I'm saying, is that you have not seen a funeral unless you've seen a Dominican funeral. Somehow, I don't think funerals in English here will go down too well. :surprised

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think you will waste your time. The funeral business well covered and most want religious service.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
There is an excellent Funeral Directors business in Puerto Plata that caters to ex pats, they also do cremations, help with repatriations, consulates etc. I dont think you would do well

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I was under the impression that people were dying to get into the business.

tambo'

Sep 19, 2005
I have been to two..... they apparently just stick the body in a box, just as it came from the hospital after they died....of course they seem to have changed the deads clothes and they seemed to fit poorly. But the two i saw( accident victims) they didnt do much to coneal the damage from the accident....so in those two cases the services of a mortician werent used...

either from a cost persepctive..or it isnt normally done.

I would imagine that anyone from a higher end family would hva epaid to see their kin prepared properly for viewing....

My Gfs usual hair salon doubles as a funeral business...as the husband wears a few hats and sticking a funeral home sign on his escourt wagon seems to be enough to call it a hearse....and he has stacks of cheap caskets in the carport.....even if they seem awful short......maybe they bend the feet back who knows!!

good luck

bob

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Gunfight at Tombstone

Bob you obviously go to all the right places - not:laugh:
Having said that the funeral business is so slow here that I know one that sells the cheapest ammo for all firearms as a sideline. Thats serious, but when I first went there I thought it was so funny, but on reflection realised he brings in more business for the funeral side of things by selling the ammo!:eek:gre:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
A local Puerto Plata funeral home advertises in the weekly newspaper a complete funeral including: pick-up of body, casket, preperation of the deceased, viewing, transportation to cemetary, internment, coffee and 2 bottles of Brugal for RD$ 7,000.

Sep 19, 2005
Bob you obviously go to all the right places - not:laugh:
Having said that the funeral business is so slow here that I know one that sells the cheapest ammo for all firearms as a sideline. Thats serious, but when I first went there I thought it was so funny, but on reflection realised he brings in more business for the funeral side of things by selling the ammo!:eek:gre:

all the evils of the world can be traced back to GUNS!!! those evil inanimate objects you so dread!

the potholes in the road are probably caused by cheap ammo as well huh???

so your up against a wall...if you cut the cheap ammo sales...all the funeral director type people will be picketing against you!!!!! ha ha ha ha

I guess the fact that thousands of deaths caused by motorcycles goes unoticed by you, proves life isnt as important as something so political as GUNS!!!!!!! to you

bob

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
What on earth is wrong with you Bob?? PMT? this is about funeral services,
and it is true that a person providing funeral services in one small town here also sells ammo.

I dont like guns in the wrong hands! I am a TRAINED markswoman

Sep 19, 2005
What on earth is wrong with you Bob?? PMT? this is about funeral services,
and it is true that a person providing funeral services in one small town here also sells ammo.

I dont like guns in the wrong hands! I am a TRAINED markswoman

whats wrong with me??? hmmm...you are the one that threw the funeral post into another anti gun pedestal, darling.

Whats the connection between the ammo and the funeral services again????

everytime you go into anti gun rant...expect people that dont follow your thinking to reply.

bob

Sep 19, 2005
Simply as amusing as a restaurant that sells antacids or a bar that sells aspirin. The anti-gun issue was introduced by you.

hardly howmar.....you need to go back and reread the post in order...whats the title of post number 8?

bob

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
hardly howmar.....you need to go back and reread the post in order...whats the title of post number 8?

bob
"Gunfight at Tombstone" was not used in an antigun context. Simply a humerous title for a funeral parlor selling ammo. As I said, you were the first reference to anybody being antigun.

Sep 19, 2005
if an unusually large percentage of her previous posts hadnt been blatantly anti gun...I would have taken it just as such. But brother i am not blind.

But feel free to be as blind as you like. Maybe it isnt the same issue to you as it is to some others.

if someone wants to talk about funeral homes, ...do that dont mix in your personal tainted agenda everytime .

thats the stuff that gets the posts shut down.

even if it is only after someone REPLIES....

bob

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
The OP did not mention what part of the country he plans to move to, but if I may recommend a funeral home were you can contact and inquire with questions about the funeral business. My father passed away in Santiago 4 years ago and we used the services of Funeraria Blandino. They are the biggest in the island and located in four cities. Hopefully your Spanish is adequate enough to communicate with them. Excellent and very professional service.

Funeraria Blandino. Republica Dominicana.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I am an English Funeral Director, moving out to DR with my family. I want to stay in the same trade - can anybody give me info on the funerals over there?

I'm British too. I think the most descriptive thing I can say is that it isn't the same trade here. It's just so very very different. Go to some funerals here before you ask your question again and you may just decide you don't want to ask it. Blandino is in Puerto Plata, too, so you could talk to the manager at any one of their locations as A. Hidalgo suggested.

If you did decide to pursue this, learning about the Dominican way of death would certainly give you a handle into the culture. But the 'discreetness' of the English Funeral Director is quite a jump from what is regarded as normal in Dominican practice.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
bob, no sense of humour or what?!
guns are not commonly associated with good health, are they?
i found the funeral home doubled with an ammo shop amusing. a bit like brugal family member working as a therapist for alcoholics... (which, accidentally, is truth as well, eh, the irony.....)
ps i have nothing against guns, funerals, ron or alcoholics