Are Doctors and Meds readily available

cringo

Apr 8, 2007
Hello Happy Easter

Thinking about a long term stay in DR and my wife is concerned about 2 things 1 she has no thyroid and needs Synthroid generics are no good for her.
Is Synthroid available?

And 2 she does want to another child and there are high risk factors. Are there good high risk doctors available?

Thanks

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Good Drs.

If you contact me I will give you names of excellent doctors here in the capital. All my doctors speak fluent english and are Harvard, Yale grads etc.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
the doctor in Sosua, in my case at least, was a joke. Dr.Nigel i believe his name was. told and showed him the issued, he said: "relax, it's nothing, will go away", and charged me 1200RD. got back to Toronto and the problem only got worse, went to a doc here, and got the prescription.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
I too would like to know if there is an honest and competant doctor in Sosua
I went to " doctor" Annes and the nurse quoted me 100 rd to check my blood pressure. The nurse takes my blood presure and declares this is an emergency and we must get the doctor here asap.

After the "doctor" reviews her high school medical book, she discovers all is fine and charges me 1000 rd........Now that raised my blood pressure !

As someone pointed out quite recently............

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
I too would like to know if there is an honest and competant doctor in Sosua
I went to " doctor" Annes and the nurse quoted me 100 rd to check my blood pressure. The nurse takes my blood presure and declares this is an emergency and we must get the doctor here asap.

After the "doctor" reviews her high school medical book, she discovers all is fine and charges me 1000 rd........Now that raised my blood pressure !

As someone pointed out quite recently............

Tell you what, as an RN, next time I'm in DR, I'll take your BP for a Presidente or two...

You might need to provide the sphygmomanometer though!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Can you tell me where you got the synthroid please? From which company rather then the pharmacy. I've not been able to get it in Puerto Plata and need a source for it as well. I too have a hard time with the generics!

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I will have to check the box. I don't have the box with me right now. Soon as I get the box I'll post. I'll have to look for it.

The box said Synthroid and the pill was the same color as the pill I took. --- I'm assuming that it's not a generic but I know that things are done differently in the DR.

Do the generics there do that?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Synthroid is just the brand name for levothyroxine. It doesn't matter if you buy the brand or the generic as it is NOT one of the drugs that has slightly different formulations for generics.
The problem is with the dosage as sometimes you need .01 and sometimes you need .025 of the active ingredient (levothyroxine).
The generic doesn't come in the .025 dosage so you need to buy the brand (Synthroid) to get the desired amount........(or vice versa-I'd have to look at PapaTony's drug bottles to tell you exactly)
(they don't call me bruja for nada!!:);) )

lucine

Mar 21, 2007
Might it not be easier, to return to native country once a year, get a years supply of med and return to the DR.?

lucine

Mar 21, 2007
Be it advised that I do not live in the DR yet. my personal plan was to retrun to the states once a year for maintience, once I live there.