Might be moving to DR in August

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blondie24

Apr 7, 2007
Hi everybody,

I am new to this website so please be easy on me! I am just back from DR (second time in 2 months) and I am thinking about moving there in August with a friend from UK. However, I have a few questions:
1- How much money do you need to make in order to live well in DR (monthly salary in pesos).
2- Is it hard to find a job in the administration sector (I currently work for the Canadian Federal Government as a Administrative Assistant/Project Manager in the International Relations division).
3- I speak French, English and I am currently learning Spanish.
4- I have very good interpersonnal skills
5- I have many computer skills
6- I also ride/train horses in Canada and I was wondering if there are any jobs available in the horse industry, for exemple: guide for tourists.
7- I would most likely be moving in Sosua.

Any other advise you can give me would be very appreciated.

Thanks for your help

Gen

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'm afraid it's hard to find a job in any sector which would pay you enough to live 'well' as defined by a non-Dominican. You would need to think about what special skills you have: many Dominicans speak 3 languages, some 4 or 5 and not all have jobs. And of course most were born in the saddle. Still, at least you have one advantage over many hopefuls who post on here: you are articulate. :)

If you're already in the International Relations Division of the Canadian Federal Govt. see if you can chat them up into giving you a job at a Canadian consulate in DR. I know it would be pretty unlikely but.........no harm in asking. Something else might present itself.

I know it's none of my business but............this isn't fella related is it? If it is, go very slowly, do careful homework, ask self in each of 3 languages 'do I really know what I'm letting myself in for?' Then learn 3 more languages & repeat the question: should at least buy you some time. :)

Blondie24

Apr 7, 2007
Hello Lambada, thanks alot for your honesty! I was afraid I would get one of these sarcarstic response. I am not exactly sure what you mean by: this isn't fella related is it? My guess is that you are wondering if my decision to move to DR is to be with a guy??? If that's what you mean, well it is part of the reason that I would move. However, living abroad is something I've always wanted to do and I've totally fallen in love with DR. My friend in UK is moving in August, she found a job as a teacher in Sosua. We would rent a 2 bedroom appartment and live together along with her Dominican boyfriend and my friend. Since I don't know how long I would be in DR, would I need to apply for residency or can I just get a visa (which would allow me to work legally) until I decide if I want to live there permanently?

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

Gen

caro

Sep 24, 2003
1- How much money do you need to make in order to live well in DR (monthly salary in pesos).

all depent what is well for you ...

it s 7 month I make the move here and I live in puerto plata . I live well but on a standard local . here some of my expense for 2 person for give you a idea ...

my house :5000 pesos (I need to buy my own thing)
electricty: between 450-600 pesos ( all depent of I much electricity we have ....will soon buy a inverter)
phone: 400 pesos for a plan "prepagado" ( give 200 minute local without cellular)
insurance medical : 4000 pesos each 3 month ( +- 1335 each month)
grocery: about 7000 month but I sure it s a little bit more because I buy thing between my grocery
we are 2 to live on +- 35000 -40000 pesos/month
other money go to transport ( motoconcho, guagua,publico) , card for cell phone and internet, activity we do .we both don t drink or really rarely.

hope that help

I sending you a PM ...

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

all depent what is well for you ...

it s 7 month I make the move here and I live in puerto plata . I live well but on a standard local . here some of my expense for 2 person for give you a idea ...

my house :5000 pesos (I need to buy my own thing)
electricty: between 450-600 pesos ( all depent of I much electricity we have ....will soon buy a inverter)
phone: 400 pesos for a plan "prepagado" ( give 200 minute local without cellular)
insurance medical : 4000 pesos each 3 month ( +- 1335 each month)
grocery: about 7000 month but I sure it s a little bit more because I buy thing between my grocery
we are 2 to live on +- 35000 -40000 pesos/month
other money go to transport ( motoconcho, guagua,publico) , card for cell phone and internet, activity we do .we both don t drink or really rarely.

hope that help
Good post, Caro.
It's so difficult to answer the OP's questions, as living well, is so subjective.
Your info should be really helpful for her.
Perhaps you can write about the cultural aspects as well.
PS: Glad to hear that things are working out for you.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Some employers require you to have applied for residency, it will depend on the job. The only visa is the tourist visa which expires after 15 days I believe. Not a problem if you stay longer, you pay the fee at the airport on departure. The sorts of jobs which may not require you to have applied for residency are maybe bar type jobs which don't pay enough to live 'well' from, so it's a bit of a vicious circle.

It will be crucial for you to have back up funds to survive if you don't get work and a ticket home (or the means to get one) if it all goes wrong. And if you & he split & you decide to remain here, leave a decent interval before obviously starting the next relationship. Reputations matter here & the reputation of women is perceived about 50 light years behind that of men........ in other words what is ok for a guy to do would have a female labelled as 'not a nice girl'. Hopefully your man does not fall into the 'sankie' bracket. If he is then many of the other actividades staff will be knocking on your door the moment you split. That's the start of the downward reputation spiral...........

It's one of those things about which I can say I'm glad I'm not 24 any more.;) I first moved overseas when I was 21 (alone not with a friend) and yes it can be life changing & a terrific education. I wish you all the best. :)

caro

Sep 24, 2003
Reputations matter here & the reputation of women is perceived about 50 light years behind that of men........ in other words what is ok for a guy to do would have a female labelled as 'not a nice girl'. Hopefully your man does not fall into the 'sankie' bracket. If he is then many of the other actividades staff will be knocking on your door the moment you split. That's the start of the downward reputation spiral...........

read carefully that because it s really important . I have neighborghood who don t really talk to me the first few month but now are good friend and I sure it s was because I was living with my boyfriend. we make good life and my boyfriend it s not a sankie . good people here don t want to be around this kind of people .

caro

Sep 24, 2003
Good post, Caro.
PS: Glad to hear that things are working out for you.

thank you .

I learning many good thing here that helped me a lot ....so if I can help now a little bit I will be glad to do it.

Blondie24

Apr 7, 2007
Hello Caro,

here is the budget we are currently looking at.

My friend from UK will make 24,000 pesos
Her boyfriend 6,000 pesos
I am looking to find a job around 20,000 pesos
My friend 6,000 pesos

Total: +/-56,000 pesos

The two bedroom appartment we are looking at cost around 17,000 pesos divided between the four of us, all furnished, cable, internet, electricity.
The two guys are fed breakfast and lunch at work.
My girlfriend gets lunch
We need to plan for dinners and meals on the week end.
Everybody can walk to work so the only money to be spend on transportation is at night and during the week ends.
Add to this the cellular phone as well as the insurance (which I would take).

Does it sound realistic to you? I am really not looking for the same kind of life I have in Canada, I know things are different in DR.

Also, don't think that I am not aware of what life is outside the resorts. I spent my last week in DR at my friend's appartment in Puerto Plata, one small room, no hot water, getting around in motoconcho and guagua. I came to realise that even if I have a good quality of life in Canada, I am still missing something...and I don't mean material wise...the only time I am actually happy is when I travel to DR. As soon as I get home, I start planning for the next trip...

Thanks for your help!!!

Gen

caro

Sep 24, 2003
it s difficult to answer ..... I don t know what you like to do on your free time and I don t know what the other too.you like to go dancing , drinking, eat at restaurant...buy new cloth , shoe ,thing like that .

but you know you and your friend of uk will propably have to pay for thing to your friend and her boyfriend. if you look at that just the appartment will take 4250 at each person .

the grocery is about the same price of in canada or much hight.

I think you will have money for appartment , grocery and think like that but not many left for activity.

you said:I spent my last week in DR at my friend's appartment in Puerto Plata, one small room, no hot water, getting around in motoconcho and guagua.

how much do you spend in this week ? do you want a life like this ? that can give you some answer.

Blondie24

Apr 7, 2007
Caro, I think a good idea would be to look at an appartment that is a little bit less expensive...it would allow us to have money left to go dance once in a while.

The two guys work 6 days a week, most of the time from 9:00am to 11:00pm. When they finish work, they come home and relax then go to bed. The four of us are really quiet.

I can't really use the money I spent last week as a guide because when you are not home, you are alway on the go, spending alot. Plus I was with my friend in Puerto Plata at night and was going back to Sosua to spend the day with the two girlfriends I travelled with so I spent alot of money on transportation.

I don't think I could live forever in the type of appartment he has so this is why my girlfriend and I are looking at appartments that are a bit more expensive.

I will be coming back to DR is June to try to find a job. Once I find work, it will be easier to plan a budget!!!

Gen

caro

Sep 24, 2003
Caro, I think a good idea would be to look at an appartment that is a little bit less expensive...it would allow us to have money left to go dance once in a while.

Gen

[/B]The two bedroom appartment we are looking at cost around 17,000 pesos divided between the four of us, all furnished, cable, internet, electricity.[/B]

that appartment is not expensive with all the thing it s offer. appartment furnished with 2 bedroom will be +- 10 000 pesos . electricity like I said mine is around 450-600 pesos month , cable is around 500 pesos if my memory is good so that give you 20 000 pesos with out the internet. so I am not sure you will find less expensive.

it s is important for you to have always electricity? if yes that will be more expensive of what I tell you for my electricity.

Blondie24

Apr 7, 2007
Caro,

after all, you are right...it is not expensive for what it offers! Plus, the owner told us he could make us a good deal (17,000 pesos is the normal rewnting cost) since my friend already stayed there twice.

One thing I forgot to mention is that my friend will also be doing some tutoring to earn extra money and I plan on finding a second job as well, preferably in the horse world (riding is my passion!!!)

I guess I still have a lot of thinking to do!!!

Gen

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Just a thought

I wish you well Blondie. Myself ,husband and son are moving down to the DR ourselves this year but we will be opening our own business when we do. Most on this board are super and Lambada has been really great to me as well,( I have not had the pleasure of speaking with caro yet though). In reading this thread I thought about your situation and since you work for our gov't,( yes I am in Canada too :ermm: ), I was thinking that if your friend has a job teaching I have seen many of the schools looking for "support" staff i.e. reception etc. Perhap's this may be a area you could land a job. In 2003 I had been in contact with the Canadian/Dominican chamber of commerce. They had an opening and I applied and got the position. Unfortunatly for me our Prime Minister at the time John Chretien gave my position to someone from Placer Dome !!! Needless to say I was a LITTLE MIFFED !!! Anyway that might be an area for you as well. Best of luck to you.:cheeky:

Blondie24

Apr 7, 2007
Hello Leekiv, as you said, this board is amazing. While reading the other threads, I noticed that when you ask intelligent questions, you get alot of help. I totally agree with you, Lambada was very helpful. I also hope you get the chance to discuss with Caro who is just amazing! Your idea of going through my friend to find a job at her school is great! Like you guys said: Everything works through connexion in DR!!! I will also start looking at adds in the newspaper and contact some of the potential employers. I would rather find a job before I move, just for peace of mind!

Thank you all for your support!!!

Gen

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Hello Caro,

here is the budget we are currently looking at.

My friend from UK will make 24,000 pesos
Her boyfriend 6,000 pesos
I am looking to find a job around 20,000 pesos
My friend 6,000 pesos

Total: +/-56,000 pesos

The two bedroom appartment we are looking at cost around 17,000 pesos divided between the four of us, all furnished, cable, internet, electricity.
Gen
Lets see...You expect the two boyfriends to pay their share of the rent, RD$ 4,250, on their RD$ 6,000 per month incomes?

Blondie24

Apr 7, 2007
Hello Howmar,
to be honest with you, the appartments that the guys were looking at were about 8,000 pesos/4=RD$ 2,000 each (about what they are paying right now). However, the location and amenities were not what my friend and I are looking for. This is why we decided to go with something a bit more expensive that meets our needs. I am aware that my friend and I will be paying more then just our share of the rent but the appartment is what WE want. Do you think this is a bad decision?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Reality Check

I too live here on the North Coast. You have received some valuable insight already. Let me add my 2 pesos worth.

1. The 2 "friends" will not pay for anything or almost nothing. No matter what the deal is or how things start they will not end up paying. They make 6,000 RD per month and work 9 am to 11 pm. My guess is they work in a hotel! Correct me if I am wrong.

2. It is very very difficult to share accomodations with one person let alone 3 others! How long have you known your "friend"? how long have you known the other 2 people? You will be considered the same as all three of the others so you better know them all VERY well! Lambada was correct - you have the reputation of those you associate with.

3. Who will be legally liable for everything? If your name is on a lease you can get stuck with it all. If your name is not on the lease then you can have other problems.

4. When budgeting don't forget all the other things - cell phones, medical insurance and expenses, hair appointments and all the numerous incidentals that will keep having to be paid for!

Most importantly - how long have you known this guy? What are you getting yourself into? How many times have you been here and for how long each time? What do you really know about each other? Please don't go into this without a huge amount of thought and preparation.

You are asking good questions already! Keep doing it and let all of us help if we can.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Hello Howmar,
to be honest with you, the appartments that the guys were looking at were about 8,000 pesos/4=RD$ 2,000 each (about what they are paying right now). However, the location and amenities were not what my friend and I are looking for. This is why we decided to go with something a bit more expensive that meets our needs. I am aware that my friend and I will be paying more then just our share of the rent but the appartment is what WE want. Do you think this is a bad decision?

I wouldn't say bad or good, as I don't know what your priorities are. What you can count on is the 2 boyfriends, being kept in a lifestyle they cannot afford, will no doubt not contribute a dime to the monthly expenses. In fact, just hope that you don't have to pay for their friends and relative's expenses also. Lets see how many cousins don't have a place to stay and need to stay in the living room.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I am aware that my friend and I will be paying more then just our share of the rent but the appartment is what WE want. Do you think this is a bad decision?

Yes, I think it is a very bad decision. I think you should get an apartment that you and your friend can afford and live there. Once the boys can pay their share, every penny of it, they can move in. And do read Planner's post again. And Howmar's. Remember once someone moves in, it is kinda impossible to get them out. I'm afraid you're contemplating decisions that every old-timer on this board will advise against. You and your friend will be taking on the complete support of two men who will most probably not pay towards household expenses, cleanup or any other household duty.

What does everyone think? Does this remain in employment? Do I send it to living, or does Anna inherit it :cheeky:

Status
Not open for further replies.