DR in July -2007

Malevolent

Apr 7, 2007
Hi,

I just joined this forum after spending many hours (days) reading posts.
Me and my girlfriend will be going to the DR in July this year (as the title told you), and we do have a few questions we would like to find answers to. If you have the time, we would appreciate any advice/help/answer.

#1. I've read and searched this forum loads of times for "bachata" "bachata lesson" and everything I could think of with taking classes in bachata. We know the dance and do practice it here in Sweden, but we would like to evolve. We would like to do it the Dominican way.. Is it possible to find ANYONE that might be of help for us? I've seen videoclips of Bachata danced in several ways, and we would like to learn the Bachata footworks. There's no reason for us to learn any patterns. We just want to find someone that might help us do the footwork as the Dominicans do it. Because... It IS different!! :eek:)

Where should we look? I've heard that there ARE NO lessons for Bachata - but for sure... There's to be someone that could help us - right?

(Btw... It could be ANYWHERE in the DR... As long as there's a way to get to the teacher - we'll go!!!)

#2. Merengue.. I've heard/read that there ARE lessons to be had. Just tried it out here in Sweden a few times, but - want to learn more - and to do it the Dominican Way... Preferably before the Merengue Festival in the end of July!!

Where can we go to learn Merengue? The BEST place/teacher??

#3. We will probably try to go Deep Sea Fishing some day when we come visit DR. I've read that there are possibilities from Puerto Plata and Punta Cana.

Is that the only places, or BEST places to go FROM? Or - should we try to find any other place?

(I know... Fishing is fishing.. But.. Hey!! We're from Sweden.. It's 37 degrees Farenheit right now, and deep sea fishing is not really the funniest thing to do here. But I really, really want to go and do this in the DR, and as I don't know anything about in YOUR country.. Please - enlighten me if you can!)

#4. We're going to stay in the DR for one month, and as we have the regular bills to pay at home, we need to know how much we should expect to spend in a month in the DR. We're under 30 years of age. We?re going to the DR to learn the dances the RIGHT way (as above), and to spend some time in the water. We're THIN (meaning - we rarely eat!) - just kidding.. We DO eat, but not much OR often! It's true! We are okey with a matress on the ground - more or less.. We're NOT trying to find a way to live as we do at home.. We're fine with budget-budget-budget alternatives, and some nights we might check in to a better-standard-hotel.. What matters for US, is to not spend the money on sleeping.. We would be happier to know that we spent the money on the things we DO during the days.

Is it possible to rent a studio/room or whatever - for just ONE month? If so - how, and what would the cost be? Is it possible to find budget hotels within the larger cities? How much should we expect paying for a BUDGET-BUDGET hotel per night? We will travel the country, so we might be better of with budget hotels rather than a studio/room for the entire stay.. but.. I better ask in beforehand!

#5. Is it easy to travel the country by bus, and where can I find info on prices and fares?

I do appreciate any help. I know that I 'touch' a few subjects already on the forum, but I could not find MY answers through those questions/answers. Sorry if you feel like I'm repeating any questions.

Thanks a lot for your help, and that you spent a few minutes to read this post as well! ;o)

Cheerio!

/P & C