road widening project slated for Santiago-Licey

Sep 19, 2005
Santiago-Licey highway to get four lanes
One of the most dangerous stretches of road in the Dominican Republic, the old Duarte highway between Santiago and Licey al Medio, will be widened to four lanes as part of the government's program to create a "traffic distribution system" linked to the Cibao International Airport. This effort is part of the RD$5.57 billion in public works promised by President Fernandez during his visit to the city last Friday. According to Santiago governor Jose Izquierdo, the road will start getting its makeover this year, and work will be extended to Moca in 2008.

Does anyone that has lived in this area for a while think this can be done in less than a year?.I drive that section of road at least 2 a day sometimes as many as 6 times a day when i visit. And it does have those days when things are just one long train of traffic....but widening seems to be a big bite, as (like many other dominican towns) the businesses and building are so close to the road now...
How can they widen the road with out a huge amount of building renovations as well???

over all the biggest danger on that section of the road...is number one...all the people that walk it, wether because they are milling about in front of stores or just moving up and down the roadway... and two, the number of motorcycles, and to a lesser extent cars and trucks, THAT DONT HAVE RUNNING LIGHTS while driving at night.

I am sure when you add in those domincans who just cannot stand to be going less than the absolute fastest they can, with their big huge SUVs... the number of fatalaties is high...the motorcycles and the people walking will always take the brunt of any interferance....

Another reason it is dangerous because not only is it crowded and narrow AND the drivers still insist on driving as fast as they can, is the fact that so many of these buses and trucks and big SUVs drive with their high beams on all the time..and some even go to the extent of adding additional high beams.
I like the concept of extra lighting, because of dark roads and people walking...but it is soooo prevalent that these people dont turn down their lights when traffic approaches from the opposite direction. They litteraly blind the crappp out of you.

well it would be nice if it happens....but it seems like something that couldnt happen in the time frame given

anyone?

bob

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If it turns out anything like the road works in Puerto Plata, then I feel very sorry for the people in that area. That has been a huge mess for over a year :(

It will come down to who gets the contract and will their be any accountability? History tells us no, but maybe things are actually changing.

I have heard that the engineers on the Metro are on very strict targets in regards to completion, quality and payments. Let's hope they carry this over to the new Santiago to Licey road.

Sep 19, 2005
I havent been through Puerto Plata in about 3 months....so i dont know how slow that work is going....it was way slow the 4 or 5 months prior to me passing through.

I am constantly reminded of project left by the wayside, over this country, as you drive along and see what appears to be the start of some bridge, that got half built and left...same goes for as huge swath that runs through the landscape outisde of santiago. It is very easy to see from the plane on your approach to STI...it looks like the start of a road...but it has been in the same state for 2 years!!!!..or it is all together abandoned.

Robert i thought I have been reading several reports that the metro keeps getting its total cost READJUSTED..upwards...as time goes on!!

bob

C

Chip00

Bob - good buddy - after they start construction when you visit the gf take the road from her house to Don Pedro or to Tamboril then to Santiago because that project will take 2 years at the minimum and probably 3 or more.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Robert i thought I have been reading several reports that the metro keeps getting its total cost READJUSTED..upwards...as time goes on!!

bob

I guess that's because they have come up against lots of unforeseen issues.
The problem is, nobody knows the "real" cost and I have yet to see a "real" budget for the Metro released to the press. My comments are based on some of the engineers talking about their situation with the Metro.

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
Usual problem is working while trying to maintain traffic, Dominican do not work at night.... this is usually the time to do road cnstruction, and maintain it in use. it seems they caan't think on their feet... The one works while the other rest its why nothing is organized to get done ni deadlines or fine for projects.when they go over time-line like 10,000 pesos per day would not be a bad idea... no forgiveness.. to all.. My husband used to work constrution that how is done in most countries that how they maintain order ...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The roadway into Santiago was finished (in part) at night....

Regarding that stretch of road to Licey al Medio....ughhhh....major PIB....

I'm betting we'll see more than a few deaths associated with the construction. Sad but fact of life here....

As two years, at least....a lot of people to move to get right of way.

Jan 5, 2006
...get done ni deadlines or fine for projects.when they go over time-line like 10,000 pesos per day would not be a bad idea... no forgiveness.. to all.. My husband used to work constrution that how is done in most countries that how they maintain order ...
Unfortunately, the concept of having contractors post performance bonds has not arrived to DR. :(

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
The road will take part of watever room is near the road and you loose those few or many feet of your house. The the way the road by Alcarrizo was widden when I was here in 1985. I did not ask if they paid, in Licey they ask, and took watever they need no payment. Except when they tried to re-route into private property in order to straighten the road it became a not in my land you not.. you would like eminent domain- the government purchase your property at going rate, but you have no say so about selling.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The road will take part of watever room is near the road and you loose those few or many feet of your house. The the way the road by Alcarrizo was widden when I was here in 1985. I did not ask if they paid, in Licey they ask, and took watever they need no payment. Except when they tried to re-route into private property in order to straighten the road it became a not in my land you not.. you would like eminent domain- the government purchase your property at going rate, but you have no say so about selling.
Most likely, they already own the right of way where they widen streets.

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
You wish it so. This is "El Pais de Maravilla" it never seems to have a plan for anything. The cities and planning do not go hand in hand, The road was build by one Called Adolfo Alba, out of pocket since Trujillo gave him little choice live or die. The only one that want to take over are the Hatians, their macuto is emty, our is full of stones.