cabanas

SAB

Feb 10, 2007
Can somebody help me with pics or any other information on the drive-in cabanas ?

Sep 19, 2005
this is a picture someone else just recently posted of a cabana on the autopista(route 1) just south of Santiago.... they took it from the plane as it was about to land at STI.

I dont know who is gonna stop and take picture before the walk into a cabana, and i dont know who is gonna share their pictures from INSIDE either!! ha ha ha

Actually...now that i think of it....I bet the net is loaded with pictures from inside the cabanas!!! ha ha ha:ninja: :ninja:

why would you want pictures anyway...if I may ask?

bob

Last edited by a moderator:

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Those pics are lovely...that is so one of the nicer ones, like Hollywood or Sensation in Puerto Plata. There are some really nasty ones though with a bed and no sheets, 2 old condoms, graffitti on the wall, no lock on the door, no door on the bathroom, no running water....I am sure there were cockroaches in there too. Needless to say, I didnt stay there long! But what do you expect for like 50 pesos!!

Sep 19, 2005
wow that description sounds awful....where was a cabana like that?, and how much did they have to pay you to go there?

I have been in a cabana that was only 195 pesos for 3 hours. and it was like a cheap hotel....nothing like what you described. Every thing was non descript, but still good. bed sheets,pillows, bedspread, shower and towels and soap and shampoo, hot and cold water in a standard shower-bathtub. sink and mirror. Mirrors in the room , color tv , piped in music and AC!!!

the biggest issue I had with that cheapo room...was the 5 '10" door hieghts...sucks for a guy 6'3".....

needless to say we dont go there any more.

Id say that most of the ones that are about 500-700 pesos for a short 3 hour stay are at least as good as the photos Robert posted. and then there are some that blow those rooms away....Mohogany through out, over stuffed chairs, liberal artwork on the walls and statues on the tables. Sitting rooms, eating rooms, and bedrooms, Some have two floors even.

bob

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
We stayed in a Caba?a once ;) for a whole week! Yes, I can hear you laugh but the reason was that it was the best accommodation around in this little town around the time of Semana Santa. It was a riot .. First, the attendant nearly fainted when I asked him for rates for a week - he took one look at my husband and myself and called the manager. The manager needed to see for himself these two old gringos who wanted a caba?a for a week and came puffing along on his moto. We hung around drinking beer at the nearby plaza waiting for the manager. Over a few more beers, we soon sorted out a weekly rate, made a friend to boot, and eventually we moved in to our 'presidents caba?a' - something akin to the penthouse suite in some hotels.

Strange place, huge bedroom, huge bathroom, a living area with a little kitchenette and of course, a massive room with a whirlpool. Two extremely racy channels only on television. Anyway, the whirlpool did not work as there was not enough water to be had to cover the jets, the bathroom was iffy and the bed was obviously strengthened and too hard. For the rest, it was fine accommodation and I soon learnt how to work that little round thing in the wall where you put some money in on the inside, and they put some ron in, on the outside. You wirl it around and hey presto! You've got ron! The ron got me through that week in good shape! ;)

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
We stayed in a Caba?a once ;) for a whole week! Yes, I can hear you laugh but the reason was that it was the best accommodation around in this little town around the time of Semana Santa. It was a riot .. First, the attendant nearly fainted when I asked him for rates for a week - he took one look at my husband and myself and called the manager. The manager needed to see for himself these two old gringos who wanted a caba?a for a week and came puffing along on his moto. We hung around drinking beer at the nearby plaza waiting for the manager. Over a few more beers, we soon sorted out a weekly rate, made a friend to boot, and eventually we moved in to our 'presidents caba?a' - something akin to the penthouse suite in some hotels.

Strange place, huge bedroom, huge bathroom, a living area with a little kitchenette and of course, a massive room with a whirlpool. Two extremely racy channels only on television. Anyway, the whirlpool did not work as there was not enough water to be had to cover the jets, the bathroom was iffy and the bed was obviously strengthened and too hard. For the rest, it was fine accommodation and I soon learnt how to work that little round thing in the wall where you put some money in on the inside, and they put some ron in, on the outside. You wirl it around and hey presto! You've got ron! The ron got me through that week in good shape! ;)

What a great post. Had me laughing from beginning to end.:cheeky:

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
That was a cabana in the back of Sosua somewhere....the guy had to wash from a hose pipe at the back of the building lol. And there was a small fan on the wall that would only work if you twisted the wires together and put them into the socket (there was no plug!!) We made do without the fan!!!

It was no more than 100 pesos, I will tell you that much...somewhere between 50 and 100!!

Never again!!!

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004

HHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAAAAA...

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
wow that description sounds awful....where was a cabana like that?, and how much did they have to pay you to go there?

I have been in a cabana that was only 195 pesos for 3 hours. and it was like a cheap hotel....nothing like what you described. Every thing was non descript, but still good. bed sheets,pillows, bedspread, shower and towels and soap and shampoo, hot and cold water in a standard shower-bathtub. sink and mirror. Mirrors in the room , color tv , piped in music and AC!!!

the biggest issue I had with that cheapo room...was the 5 '10" door hieghts...sucks for a guy 6'3".....

needless to say we dont go there any more.

Id say that most of the ones that are about 500-700 pesos for a short 3 hour stay are at least as good as the photos Robert posted. and then there are some that blow those rooms away....Mohogany through out, over stuffed chairs, liberal artwork on the walls and statues on the tables. Sitting rooms, eating rooms, and bedrooms, Some have two floors even.

bob

I think I got bedbugs from a cheap caba?a.:eek: :eek: :eek:

racergurl55

Sep 6, 2006
www.racegirl55.com
I ended up in a caba?a one night..thanks to my whinning that the bars closed and I wasnt done dancing and having fun. My friend told he knew somewhere we could dance and drink and I hoped in his car thinking we were going to an after hours club. I still believed we were at a VERY cool after hours bar as he pulled in and parked in a garage....until I opened the door and saw the bed!!!! hehe (yup, I can be as blonde as they come)

That being said - my friend was the portrait of a gentleman..and we just hung out and as it turns this caba?a was a very cool place to go after hours to get a cold beer and listen to music and dance.

The one I was at (and went back to with a group of friends later that week after the bars closed) was very clean, had a disco ball on the ceiling, a big screen linked to a computer with a mouse on the night table and a HUGE selection of music. The shower was HUGE with a gazillion jets and glass doors...and of course the cheezy mirrors all around the bed and on the ceiling.

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
I find the cabanas to be better than the available hotels. Obviously, you get what you pay for. On a recent trip, I paid about 1000 pesos, and I had electricity, hot water, television, and most of all, quiet. Absolute silence. It was beautiful. You can't beat the privacy either.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
I love Hollywood in Puerto Plata....it is 800 pesos for a night. The room is huge with a massive bed and jacuzzi, tv, big bathroom, food and drink if you want it and a big couch. Obviously they had the tacky mirrors and the minging sex chair!! But the decoration was very tasteful and no condoms were displayed unlike the mingin cheap ones.

Sep 19, 2005
chris i wonder if I can ask what he charged for the week. because from what I have seen is that most of these places have a high turn over...I know the majority of the time i have a hard time finding a garage open that they have finnished cleaning on a friday or a saturday....and this starts as early as mid day.....so even though they rent the room for about 3 hours, they really can get more than 5 or 6 rents of a single i am guessing per day. One time i drove through two complete complexes and didnt find a room open ..even the exspensive rooms were full.....luckily just outisde of Santiago there are about 10 cabanas.....and four of them are decent....

I have spent the night twice and was buzzed to be out by 11:30 in one and 10:30 in the other.....I paid double for one room to sleep till morning and about 1.5 times the standard rate in the other...the cheaper going about 1000 pesos total......

for staying long term..(if they let you) You must make arraingments with someone before you pull out of the garage..otherwise they are going in to clean it.....thinking you left for good.

I have eaten in them manny times and the food really is pretty decent...they give you lots for the price...and the better ones have huge menus......

they have one outside santiago that is run by Asians....you can tell it from all the rest...because there is no gate LOCKING you in.....until they check the room....that place...is wide open . They usually run a guy in through the room pretty fast to see if anything is broken or missing, and they radio up to the gate to let you go or not..

the asian place doesnt do that.

the asian place looked a lot like the room robert posted pictures of....round bed, nice tiled bath and or jacuzzi...but little or no wooden furniture......it looks clean but not high class.....like the room syocked with nicer furniture and fixtures

bob

Daddy_Dom

Feb 4, 2007
:squareeye I think Caba?as is a place made for make love, not for stay like a hotel for days, at latest in santo domingo where you can find lot's of them... Dominicans love sex and make love, in home it is not very exited like inside of the caba?as, there you see a place where you feel diferent and nothing is more exited that meet a new girl, go to dance and after of a good night, bring her to the Caba?as uhmmmm!! you can put your oun music, take a nice shower or bath together, etc... There you sleep nice but not for more than 1 night.

DD.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Was Spending So Much Money On Cabanas

That I found it easier/cheaper to rent an apartment.
I let a select few "Dr1ers" use it from time to time!

"My Lips Are Sealed" said the penguine!(or however you spell it!)

ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
So it really is a No tell motel. Nobody even sees your car. You drive in and your car is locked in behind you???? After you are finished you drive out like you were never there?

Am I understanding that correctly?!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
So it really is a No tell motel. Nobody even sees your car. You drive in and your car is locked in behind you???? After you are finished you drive out like you were never there?

Am I understanding that correctly?!

Yes..........

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
chris i wonder if I can ask what he charged for the week.

Sure Bob, this was quite a few years ago, before the Hippo screwed up badly and before the crazy inflationary spiral started. Also, the deal was done on relationship ... and cemented on beer! (The manager and my husband and I were fairly 'beer-happy' when we eventually came to agreement!) I think we settled on what the local hotel would have charged us - at that time if I remember correctly, about 750 or 850 pesos per night. Yes, it was a good deal in the good old days. It was one of those times when being a gringo with some Spanish and a good attitude really worked out well. The manager of that specific Caba?a and us sometimes meet in one of the local restaurants in the little town and its like old home week! One of those vignettes of sojourning in the DR... :laugh:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have only visited one cana?a, albeit twice.
la palomar - tu nido de amor, just outside POP.
i was instantly charmed by an idea of a "room for hours" - straight form old french movies so i let myself be talked into visiting the love nest.
what a disappointment to see tiled floor and a corned bath.... all so modern and squeaky clean.... i imagined musty and dusty and got chlorined and disinfected.
the bath, however was the only bath i have seen in DR suitable for a adult human being, not for a dwarf - you know those standard baths, little bit than ankle deep? :ermm:
the minty intimate wash was quite an adventure... :tired: