construction/building costs differences?

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
can someone please explain to me this, i'm going thru supercasas.com and seeing many NEW houses in the 3-4 million pesos range. the houses are 200+ square meters, most are over 250, and the price includes the house and the land. given, the area is not the best, but talking about the house as a building. now, the contractors on the North Coast want almost double that just to build the house, no land included. again, forget about the area, i'm talking about construction costs. and to add, the houses in SD and STO look as good as any model house offered on the North Coast, if not even better. why such a difference in the prices? makes you think it'd be cheaper to bring construction crew from SD to build your house on the North Coast, or Bavaro.

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
Pretty easy to understand. Contractors charge whatever they can. Period.

Construction costs vary greatly in every country, in my experience. Distances materials must be transported, availability of skilled labor, degree of difficulty dealing with local officials - all can impact prices.

My guess would be that the North Coast is more expensive because there is a little more ex-pat/investment money available, though. Basic Keynesian economics- where more money is available cheaply, prices tend to rise.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well you yourself said that the location is not the most desirable, so that is ONE factor.
SECOND, looking at a 275 sq mt house and lot with basic construction, you get in the "neighborhood" of 14,000-15,000 pesos per meter of construction.
This is on the cheap, according to Santiago standards.
THIRD, there is no way that construction costs could be double on the North Coast. Sorry, someone is trying to make a killing.
With a lot of oversight, special architectural details and a first class job with mahogany doors and cabinets, 25,000 pesos a meter should be tops....

Let me know where you want to build and perhaps i can get you a better quote..

HB

MrRiley

Feb 6, 2007
65us per sqr ft or 650 per sqr mtr is about right for quality construction. This is for the construction, not landscaping,pool,etc. On the North Coast.