Moving to Santiago...

StellaRay

Apr 8, 2007
Hello Everyone!
First of all, let me preface this by saying that I do recognize that there are many, many threads asking for moving advice :) I've used the "search" function and found a ton of useful info. However, I would like to move to Santiago and I've come to realize that most of these posts relate to Sosua, Cabarete, and other tourists areas. Can any of you santiagueros give me a some advice? I know the city is so different from the resort towns, so I'd love tips specific to Santiago. Just for background, I've been to the D.R. a few times and I actually did live there for a bit of time, attending PUCMM. I loved the country, it was somewhere I felt comfortable and I'd just love to go back. I'm graduating from university, so I figured now is the time to go abroad, before I have obligations tying me down. I'm pretty easy-going and realistic, so I plan on living very conservatively since I won't need a lot of "extras." I fully admit that my Spanish is not fantastic, I don't pretend I'm fluent. Therefore, I'm hoping to find more of an "English-only" job while I work on improving my Spanish, rather than trying to find something bilingual right off the bat. For example, I know call centers offer jobs for English speakers, but can someone give me an honest opinon on them (is the pay doable, are the companies reputable, etc.)? I'd love any answer or general advice people can give. I've seen how helpful everyone at DR1 can be, so I'm hoping you all can help me a bit too :)
Thanks in advance!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Nice first post StellaRay! :classic:
Regarding call centers, posters MrMike and Howmar I am sure can help you and tell you who is who, and who is you need to avoid. Good Luck!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I just heard today that call centers are supposed to pay like RD$9000 a month but in reality the kids are only getting a little over 6000.....go figure.
Teaching english might be an option.

Let me know...

HB

StellaRay

Apr 8, 2007
Thanks for help, both of you. I had heard info along the same lines as what you said, Hillbilly, so that's why I figured I'd check with the experts-DR1 :)
I know that teaching English is probably the most viable option, but my degree is not in Education so I wasn't sure how many job opportunities I could find without it. I have experience as a teaching assistant in a bilingual school, but no formal degree...
Anyone have any info about that?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nobody here cares about your formal degree!! if you speak English, and can stand up in a classroom environment and teach, no matter what you got your degree in...really.

I just hope you are not returning here because of a "true love"....that would be a major boo-boo....Otherwise, I can totally see what you are doing...

Get here soon, as most Colegios and Bi-lingual schools will be filling their vacancies this month and next.

HB

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Great advice from HB.

If you are a recent graduate, why not enroll in a higher degree program and do something of an independent study?

I am in a teacher...it is not easy, and classroom management in the DR is not easy. Experience the hard way is not always the most enjoyable time spent.

What is your degree in?

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Stella, I don't have any useful advice for you. Only to wish you a successful stay in Santiago, my birthplace. I love it there and feel that it's one of the most pleasant, lay-back and picturesque cities in DR... Enjoy!

BTW. Aside from my accolades, What made you choose Santiago?

StellaRay

Apr 8, 2007
Thanks for everyone's friendly advice.

HB-That is good to hear! I didn't want to just rely on being a native speaker and assume I could get a job...but if I can, that's great. And no, no sanky panky for me. Thankfully, there's not as much of that in the Cibao, at least from what I noticed. Sure, I have friends I want to visit and everything, but I'm moving for me-to improve MY quality of life.
Also, I was hoping to work a bit in the States to save some more money (good to pad my bank accound before I come down) so I can't come down yet. However, I've heard about El Dominico-Americano, which seems like it would do more year-round hiring. Do you possibly have any info about them?

MaineGirl, that was actually my original plan. However, I realized that I just wasn't all that passionate or excited about my major (which is International Affairs, and I also study Geography)-well, not excited enough to shell out more thousands of dollars. I figured I'd just get some work/life experience, and then later when I figure out more what I want, hopefully find a company that would sponsor me for my Master's. I'm hoping to work a bit, improve my Spanish skills, and then later apply for the US Dept. of State or Chamber of Commerce.

Don Juan-for basically the reasons you just said :) Well, to be honest, I originally wanted to go to the capital (don't hate me!). However, I liked the academic program in Santiago better, so I figured I'd just go there and explore. I'm glad I made the right choice!

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
If you have some money set aside, what about coming down for a month after graduation and just feeling the place out? You never know what will come your way. Better to do an extended trip first. Make connections, network, network, network. In Santiago (maybe HB can speak to this?) you might be able to tutor uni students in English.

I spent a month in Puerto Plata five years ago and my plan still isn't formalized as to my move :) It takes time, patience, planning--nothing willy nilly. My move down to the DR all hinges on the completion of my master's degree, the removal of consumer debt, and that is it. I teach Spanish (not necessarily a desirable credential in the DR) so getting certified in English, French, art and technology. These credentials will help me land a job at the best schools. Very simple plan.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
MG!!---so you ARE thinking of getting down here?? That is wonderful..we need you...
Stella Ray: Do listen to MG, she is wise far beyond her years...and if you should come here, you'll be welcomed to the Hovel.

HB

multilang

Apr 28, 2005
I've been living in Santiago for over a year now. If you need any help to look for an apartment or show you around. Just PM me.

Rgds

ada

Feb 2, 2005
Congrats on your decision! I've been here close to a year and I am getting used to it pretty well. I have to say I agree with HB, it doesn't matter what type of degree you have as long as you speak English. I am certified in Spanish 7-12 and Bilingual Ed K-12 and got a job at a bilingual school teaching History! Certainly not my area. After I got that job I got 2 other offers from other schools. I don't believe you will have a problem. Many colegios here are either developing a "bilingual" program or increasing the hours English is being taught. So there should be many opportunities for you.
Good luck!

Prodical

Apr 14, 2007
Stella RayHey there, what type of time frame are you looking at for a move down to Santiago? I too am looking at a move to Santiago. I'm looking at maybe a year or so as a goal. I will be most likely be working with a organization in town. I was thinking of renting a place once I arrive and then possibly buying after exploring the options. I would be interested in hearing some more of your plans to see how much we may be able to help eachother out.

Prodical

Apr 14, 2007
Alot of great advice here everyone!

Do all of you with experience teaching english, know whether you actually need a degree to teach english at a school or colegio??? (Sorry if I already missed the answer to this).

vegasdiva

Dec 2, 2006
Alot of great advice here everyone!

Do all of you with experience teaching english, know whether you actually need a degree to teach english at a school or colegio??? (Sorry if I already missed the answer to this).

Thanks for the current discussion on this topic! I?m interested in moving to the DR as well and thought teaching English would be my best bet for work. Can anyone recommend schools? or cities-areas? that would be best for looking for this kind of work? I?m also curious to know the answer to the above question (I have a PhD in Communication, have taught college-level classes in Public Speaking, Conflict, Nonverbal, etc... since 1986, and I?m working on a TEFL certificate right now, but no degree in Education or English.)

I?ll be in Higuey in a week and a half and would like to explore the opportunities (I have a house in LasVegas that I?d need to sell before I could actually make the move). Does anyone have suggestions?

Also, I?m curious why someone would say not to move there because of a love interest. I understand Sanky, but isn?t that simply because la gente dominicana want either your money or citizenship through marriage?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Last edited:

vegasdiva

Dec 2, 2006
True, sheer nonsense!
Isn't love the best motive to relocate?

But then, how do you know it's love?

m'frog

I get your point. Whether it's love or lust, it's fun :bunny: :ermm: , and doesn't involve money except for the trips.
Seriously, I have other motives . . .

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Lordy, Vegasdiva. I love the way you express yourself! It is so,.....So, ugh! what's the word?......Ah,....Enrapturing?...No,....Can somebody help me here?....Oof! Can't think.... But you sure say it right!...er, whatever you said.

Welcome to DR1!

StellaRay

Apr 8, 2007
Thanks for the advice ada. To be honest, a lot of what I read it is a bit on the negative side, so it's nice to hear someone telling me it can actually be done! I'm working on getting my TEFL, so it seems like with that and being a native speaker, I should be set.

vegasdiva, have you been down the DR before? If not, definitely come visit first! :) If you've only been here for a short vacation, I'd suggest maybe coming for a longer stay, before deciding to move here. Vacationing and living here are completely different, so you'll want to get a feel for "real" life. What's more, if you're here for awhile, take the time to explore the cities so you can see more of what you want. That's a lot of variety within the country--living in Santiago is a lot different than living in Cabarete, which it totally different from living in the capital, and so on...

Send me a PM prodical! I'm looking to move in August or so, hopefully spend a few years down there, depending on how things go. Maybe 1, maybe 10, who knows?