Cars

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
So, my boyfriend tells me I can get a bog standard car for like ?1500 UK or about $3000 US....is this true? Would it be an absolute heap of junk?

Can I pay monthly for a car as I cant afford to buy a car. I think 5000 pesos a month would be ok...is that possible or not?

Im not looking for a great car, just something that moves and preferably has all windows and doors that work...cd player would be nice.

Any help would be great!!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You should not doubt your boyfriend's words... ;)

m'frog
You're a mean man.

Don't ever change.;)

(I saw a concho with a "Se Vende" sign on the visqueen back window, a really cherry Toyota Corolla, with those ~special~ fenders and doors: all different colors. US$3000? He might take it...:cheeky: )

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Im not doubting him...just checking he got the amount right as it sounded too good to be true.
Leaving my bf aside, getting back to the point of the thread.....

So is $3000 a good price for a used car?
Can you pay monthly, like you can here?

Oh, bog standard means just a plain car - sorry, english jargon!!!

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I may be wrong but if you pay $3000USD for a car figure on another $3000 to make it run. I looked all over and took a mech. with me. Start at $6000. to get something that will run.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Oh really? Yikes!!

Thanks for the help..that may be out of my teeny tiny budget.

How much for a scooter? Haha Or a push bike? Pink preferably!

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I know a new DT125 costs about $3500USD. So you can probably get a good scouter for about half, but be carefull on the roads. only good for around town. the main roads are dangerous.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
With Sidiplei

Im not doubting him... it sounded too good to be true.
Well, .... ;)

...So is $3000 a good price for a used car?
That's roughly 100,000 RD$... most likely a 'dominicanized' headache...
(Unless, of course, recommended by your boyfriend.)

Paying in instalments?
Hmm, in this very case, I guess (some)one expects a cash payment from you.

And you may not get your nickel back... :laugh:

m'frog

m'frog

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
The easy answer is no... you'll probably need to spend a minimum of twice that for a basic, fairly reliable, safe car...and it's very unlikely you'll be able to make payments...plus there's registration and insurance...

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
OK, my bf has nothing to do with this m'frog...wow, you sound obsessed with him! Do you know him????

I am the one looking for the car, to see if it is financially viable...maybe not!!

I cant afford a lump sum before monthly payments...oh well, roller skates it is!!

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Novio Unknown

OK, my bf has nothing to do with this m'frog...wow, you sound obsessed with him! Do you know him????

Well, then I misunderstood.
I thought your boyfriend had a 'no problem' offer of cars in that price bracket.
No, I don't know your 'novio' and I am not obsessed by men anyway...

mountainfrog

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Cars under $10,000 US are almost always problematic.
If you buy on the Dominican finance plan, it will cost you approx. 90% interest per year.
They play a game saying they charge 4% per month, but they charge interest on the initial sum right to the end, as if you are not attaining capital with your payments, so it works out to close to 90%.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
just a quick glance at supercarros and i find 2003 mitsu L200 DIESEL!! for around 18k US dollars.................that is one b#tch*n ride and perfect in this country...i drove one from SD to barahona and back on a tank of fuel.........gas is over 4$ and heading higher.........that price is good....ideal vehicle for this country, that and armored hummer.................

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
just a quick glance at supercarros and i find 2003 mitsu L200 DIESEL!! for around 18k US dollars.................that is one b#tch*n ride and perfect in this country...i drove one from SD to barahona and back on a tank of fuel.........gas is over 4$ and heading higher.........that price is good....ideal vehicle for this country, that and armored hummer.................

...and only $15k over the OP's price range...

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
my point,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in this country for 6k you get a 2k car.........for 18k you can get an 18k car...........