Any heartwearming moments...........?

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
As we all know, it's pretty hot today. I just went to pick up my 2yr old daughter from school and was walking the 10mins back home with her. My favourite concho driver pulled over and insisted we get his bike, saying 'no money' and then, despite my protests, he bought my daughter a strawberry ice cream from the vendor going past. Then he drove us, very carefully, home. The strawberry ice cream went all over the back of his shirt, which I knew it would, but he didn't mind and just wiped it off and smiled, waved and drove off...

It's moments like that which really make me warm to the place, especially as everybody seems to have a bad story.... So what about some good stories or nice moments which make you really glad you're living here...

..... and I don't mean stories about coffee and cream.....CCCCCCCCCCCCC

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
My Little Cousin

and although she isnt related by blood, i have taken to all of my wife's family as my own and love them all as blood relatives.
Every time I go back to DR and visit her family in the campo I am drawn by all the children, especially this little girl [Claudia], who i have known since 2003 when she was 5. Now that she is older she has the habit of taking her mom's cell phone and calling me...brings a smile to my face every time i hear her voice and think about her. enjoy the link:

YouTube - Mi Cacata

Jaime

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
How refreshing

Nice to see some good. Never seems to be enough of the things/people/places we enjoy so I think this is an excellent thread. thanks for sharing. :classic:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Was on an outing the other day with friends and had to make an unexpected brief stop at one of their relatives house. Three of us stayed in the car as we had to park about a block from the house (in SD) so while waiting I decided to take a 'smoke break' and got out of the car to add another nail in my coffin on the sidewalk.
An elderly gentleman who noticed me standing there in the shade grabbed a plastic chair from the comedor next to whcih I was standing and placed it beside me for me to sit! I thanked the man and sat - which in this heat was a small blessing for me anyways.
This is the type of thing that makes being in the DR so enjoyable.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
As we all know, it's pretty hot today. I just went to pick up my 2yr old daughter from school and was walking the 10mins back home with her. My favourite concho driver pulled over and insisted we get his bike, saying 'no money' and then, despite my protests, he bought my daughter a strawberry ice cream from the vendor going past. Then he drove us, very carefully, home. The strawberry ice cream went all over the back of his shirt, which I knew it would, but he didn't mind and just wiped it off and smiled, waved and drove off...

It's moments like that which really make me warm to the place, especially as everybody seems to have a bad story.... So what about some good stories or nice moments which make you really glad you're living here...

Here are some for you http://www.dr1.com/forums/men-mars-women-venus/32228-positives-stories-about-dominicans.html

Sep 19, 2005
Well It is heart warming to me....

Near my GF house are a few other house. and by now they all know me very well. One lady whos husband dies a few years ago, has three children from about 4 to about 10. The little 4 year old is a great looking dominican boy I have taken many pictures of before...He has suc big eys and a handsom face. Me and my GF take him into Santiago sometimes as a treat. he loves going and even though he doesnt speak much, when we go...they tell me after wards he is always asking when i am coming back...

well sunday his mother told hi to get ready they were going to he friends house..., but he said he didnt want to go....she said yes you are...he kept saying NO no I dotn want to go.....but finally the mother won out and he went. Well after they got there, the mother left to go to another house and told him she would be back later....well she came back 4 hours later.... and he was mad mad mad...and after they made it home he came down to my GFs house and asked where is Tavina and Bob?? My gfs brother said, they left for the airport...well he went screaming home crying and was met by his mother half way and he was furious with ehr and was hitting her and crying...saying.."you made me go to that house and i didnt want to go , and now Bob is gone ".

my GF told me the story after the boys mother shared it......I really liked that little boy...and now i really really know he likes me....

even though , when i asked him..."tu mi amigo Manuel?"..and hed say si!!!

he was always hanging around, and id give him certs. Saturday we went into santiago and after a few stores i saw he was kinda dirty...so we bought him some new shoes , socks shirt, and pants...and then a nice pair of sunglasses...he wouldnt say much, but you knew he loved seeing the City and all the people, and getting new clothes.

here is is one day in our room trying on my shorts....
2mmheo5.jpg

bob

Last edited:

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
I've put heartwearming.....silly me...

I've just realised I've put 'heartwearming instead of heartwarming....' oh dear, I normally try to be so careful about my spelling.....

Would it be possible for a kindly moderator to alter this to stop me from squirming.....:eek:

.....and by the way, that little boy in the photo above looks a real cutie. I loved the little story about him. It made me smile....:classic:

Last edited:
C

Chip00

Well It is heart warming to me....

Near my GF house are a few other house. and by now they all know me very well. One lady whos husband dies a few years ago, has three children from about 4 to about 10. The little 4 year old is a great looking dominican boy I have taken many pictures of before...He has suc big eys and a handsom face. Me and my GF take him into Santiago sometimes as a treat. he loves going and even though he doesnt speak much, when we go...they tell me after wards he is always asking when i am coming back...

well sunday his mother told hi to get ready they were going to he friends house..., but he said he didnt want to go....she said yes you are...he kept saying NO no I dotn want to go.....but finally the mother won out and he went. Well after they got there, the mother left to go to another house and told him she would be back later....well she came back 4 hours later.... and he was mad mad mad...and after they made it home he came down to my GFs house and asked where is Tavina and Bob?? My gfs brother said, they left for the airport...well he went screaming home crying and was met by his mother half way and he was furious with ehr and was hitting her and crying...saying.."you made me go to that house and i didnt want to go , and now Bob is gone ".

my GF told me the story after the boys mother shared it......I really liked that little boy...and now i really really know he likes me....

even though , when i asked him..."tu mi amigo Manuel?"..and hed say si!!!

he was always hanging around, and id give him certs. Saturday we went into santiago and after a few stores i saw he was kinda dirty...so we bought him some new shoes , socks shirt, and pants...and then a nice pair of sunglasses...he wouldnt say much, but you knew he loved seeing the City and all the people, and getting new clothes.

here is is one day in our room trying on my shorts....
2mmheo5.jpg

bob

Bob - now I know why I like ya - you really are a swell guy.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
I was enjoying a liesurely lunch at Jose O'shays in Cabarete and her's what happened.

A shoe shine boy came in and approached a mother/ daughter and of course they declined and he presented them both with a flower that was as small as a humming birds tongue. They tried to decline several times but the mother accepted............and pondered..??

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
I hate to burst any bubbles, but they all do that. My two girls always get flowers from the shoe shine boys wherever we go. I was really touched at first when it happened in Puerto Plata. They give the flowers and stand and smile and wait..... I'd be lying if I said we hadn't given the odd few pesos here or hadn't had a pair of sandals 'shined' that didn't need it. It's a very good little ploy....and let's face it, these children deserve whatever we can give.

I always imagine my little girls going around shining people's shoes when I want to put things into perspective....

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Those are some great stories. It really does warm the heart ( and bring tears to the eyes , sniff, sniff ) to read them.