Washing machines.

MickA

Mar 13, 2007
Is it possible to buy washer/driers in the DR? (ie a single unit that does both and fits under a standard height work unit).

All the ones I've seen have been the old top loading type, which I haven't seen in my country (England) for about 20 years.

Anyone who knows where to get them and how much they cost will be my best friend for half an hour.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You can get Whirlpool & makes like that (US) in just about any store which sells electrodomesticos. Mine is a top loader but both washes & spin dries perfectly adequately for a country where most of us use the sun for the final dry. What I believe you're seeing is modern washing machines just not UK ones. You have to get UK apparatus out of your mindset here, what you'll find is US (or Korean/Japanese /or whatever imported via US). You can also get decent dishwashing machines. Really, we're quite civilised here. :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Combination washer and dryer units are available with one on top of the other.

MickA

Mar 13, 2007
I wasn't suggesting that only my county has washer/driers, just asking whether they are available in the DR, since I haven't seen them.

It has to be a single unit with both, capable of fitting under a standard 36" worktop. I think I may have been told that you have them, but I'm not sure.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
don't start me on washing machines... holy crap, who on earth invented those monsters loaded from the top?
presumably you can find a proper washer/drier in one, loaded from the front even thou i have not seen it yet (i'm in POP). but my guess it'll be more expensive tham this american style abomination everyone uses here. honestly, what's wrong with these people? it's like those darn fridges, always fridge on the bottom and freezer on the top. where the hell is common reason telling you that it's more comfy to bend over once a day to reach a packet of frozen meat than break your a** backwards bending dozen times trying to take out stuff from the fridge!
domestic appliances here are straight from steam-engine times!

thank you, i feel much better now....

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Maybe it's wishful thinking but there have been rare sightings of front loaders in the capital - where are you based?
After eight years I've just about got used to top loaders, but they're definitely harder on the clothes.

MickA

Mar 13, 2007
Santo Domingo. It has to fit under a worktop in a small kitchen. There is no other way of doing it, so top loaders are out of the equation. I wasn't intending to start a thread on the relative merits of each type.

If I have to pay over the odds I will, since I don't have a plan B.