Need help purchasing EDTA for batteries

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Help!

There does not seem to be a place in Santiago to purchase this stuff.

What I would like to do is find someone in the Sosua / Puerto Plata area that can pick some up for me. Then I will take the bus to there and buy it from them.

It would also be a good excuse to visit the Ex-pat hangouts while there.

I prefer this method because, I would hate to go through all the expense to go over there and either find out the place to buy it just ran out, and/or, I have problems finding the place that sells it (My Spanish sucks).I have 8 batteries and depending on the cost, may want enought for 2-3 uses.

So, do they have EDTA on the North coast and if so, is anyone willing to help me out. My batteries of less then two years are in desperate shape due to the great EdeNorte not giving enought electric time to fully charge the batteries.

The batteries over heat and use water like a camel every 2-3 days.
Actually, one set of 4 is not too bad, the other set of 4 is bring them down.

I prefer not to have to go to Santo Domingo. But if none is available on the North coast I make this same request to someone in Santo Domingo that could get it for me and then arrange to meet me either at Metro or Carribe Tours.

I have done searches, found several threads, even one titled, Where to purchase, but there was no North coast solution.

Thanks,

Don SantiagoDR

Sep 19, 2005
don I bought a bunch for my GFs father....He hasnt used it yet, and I dont think he will use it in the future....I bought a bag probably 2-3 lbs!!!!

thats a lot of batteries.

PM me if you want some...

bob

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My batteries of less then two years are in desperate shape due to the great EdeNorte not giving enought electric time to fully charge the batteries.

Thanks,

Don SantiagoDR
IMO, this would make a great case for solar/wing back-up: to charge your batteries when the power is out. It is very true that only partially charging batteries will kill them, especially if they are never "equalized".

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Thanks Laurapasinifan and Cobraboy for responding.

laurapasinifan, I sent you an acceptance PM.....

IMO, this would make a great case for solar/wing back-up: to charge your batteries when the power is out. It is very true that only partially charging batteries will kill them, especially if they are never "equalized".

Only trouble with that is the amount of time the electric is off, it would take a lot of solar/wind power to keep them charged. Solar/Wind power is VERY expensive, even if I was to do my own installation. I do have one Marine Wind Turbine which cost me around $600 years ago, it will hardly keep a motor cycle battery charged, let alone eight 225 amp/hr batteries. At last estimate, if would cost many thousands of U.S. dollars for a Solar system powerful enought to run independently.

Everyone talks about using Solar/Wind power but prices are still too outrageous to be affordable. Remember the DR government is very money hungry, if they give you a tax break, that means less taxes for the politicians. Sales tax in New York is around 8% and people complain, here sales tax is 16% (ITBIS), and no one thinks much about it......

I just received a FREE replacement under warranty of a p/c board for my camera and the invoice was marked that it was free and that duty/taxes had already been paid, customs still charged over $50 U.S. and held it for a week. So much for my free replacement board.

Why? Because the company sending it insured it for $279 U.S.

Another draw back to my wind turbine is that I bought it before I realized my future inverter system would be 24 volt DC and not 12 volt DC.

I also have 2 small solar panels, but same problem, they are 12 volt DC and not 24 volt DC. It may be possible to run them in series, but again, they are small. My inverter system currently charges at about 30 amp/24 volt DC. That's a lot of expensive solar panels to achive that, even half that amount (15amp) would be nice to have in solar panels.

I though I heard something about new technology for solar panels, guess it's time to do a Google search. Does anyone know if DR has relented and allow solar panels in duty free?

I plan on using the small panels to power an electric fence unit.

Don SantiagoDR