Solar Power

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
Hi,

I'm in the middle of buildling a small home, and I am considering solar power as an option.

Is there someone who can give me a basic cost benefit, and tell me about the practicality of a system in the DR for maintenance, service etc? The only info I've managed to get is from a salesman, and I would like to hear from someone else.

Thanks,

Taylor

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
I would say :unfortunately , there is a basic , simple golden rule.
(I am talking investment/cost of KW/h)

When you can get electricity from the power company do not go solar.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
michael.abraham@protec-dominicana.com] Came out to my house and provided execellant insight. I wanted solar power just for my water heater air conditioner and my pool pump. Just 2 of us old folks here and noticed these were the big items on my electric bill. Michael told me he could sell me a better pool pump, uses less electricty. As for the air conditioner and water heater he also had items to help. However, because our consumption was so low we would not see a benefit for many years to come. Perhaps if one of these items failed, then replacing it with one of his items might be justifiable. It's his company and he is the salesman, the installer, the troubleshooter, and a very honest guy.

Last edited:

JOKL

Oct 30, 2006
Hi,

I'm in the middle of buildling a small home, and I am considering solar power as an option.

Is there someone who can give me a basic cost benefit, and tell me about the practicality of a system in the DR for maintenance, service etc? The only info I've managed to get is from a salesman, and I would like to hear from someone else.

Thanks,

Taylor

Ja!! you may be dreaming!! 2 kilowatts instaled direct grid will cost you around US$10,000+ and if you need a bank of battery US$15,000+ . Besides, in the hotter day the solar panel is less efficient.Solar energy is a BS!!

cork

Aug 23, 2003
Wrong!

Ja!! you may be dreaming!! 2 kilowatts instaled direct grid will cost you around US$10,000+ and if you need a bank of battery US$15,000+ . Besides, in the hotter day the solar panel is less efficient.Solar energy is a BS!!

These prices are way out of line. I have 4 panels on a tracker system. It operates my pool pump +/-12 hours a day. Cost including the pump was US$6000. Output is around 2-3 KW a day. (approx cost of running a 2HP pool pump 12 hours a day at RD$8.57 per KWH is about RD$6200 or US$200. month for the pump alone, plus it increases the price you'll pay on the rest of you electric from EDENorte.) My 7.2KW 220V inversor with 16 batteries was about US$5000. (Easy Power in Sos?a)

Contact Michael at Protec. His service is excellent as is the quality of his product. He carries Trace inverters. I wish he had been around when I bought my stuff. Also check out his solar water heaters. A 270 litre rooftop model is about US$1700 delivered. Plumbing is extra.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Thanks Cork

I did the pretty much the same thing, 2000 watts. Electricity bill went from easy $150-$200 to $10-$30 a month during summer (pool pump season).

I purchased the solar hot water heater from Freddy MultiService, do not remember the size but paid $1200 USD installed. Best thing ever.

My reason for alternative energy is monthly run rate, initial cost and payback are secondary. When I am on a fixed income I do not want to care if energy goes up 300 percent. I?ll pay $100 but not $450.

cork

Aug 23, 2003
I agree

I did the pretty much the same thing, 2000 watts. Electricity bill went from easy $150-$200 to $10-$30 a month during summer (pool pump season).

I purchased the solar hot water heater from Freddy MultiService, do not remember the size but paid $1200 USD installed. Best thing ever.

My reason for alternative energy is monthly run rate, initial cost and payback are secondary. When I am on a fixed income I do not want to care if energy goes up 300 percent. I?ll pay $100 but not $450.

The purpose for our purchase was to hedge against future energy rate increases. (and to stay short of the monthly 701KWH rate punishment.)

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
I bought a Jakuzzy for the terrace with almost 3 m diameter 7 years ago.
Everyone I knew told me to install a gas heater, I bought a solar panel (1 x 1,5 m2), a tank and a little pump. In these days for 1400 $ including installation and was declared crazy.
The pump is programmed to switch on every 2 hours for half an hour between 10am and 6pm to pump the water from the Jakuzzy through the panel to the tank and back.
Besides neglectible electricity costs, the big advantage is whenever I come home in the afternoon or early evening from a round of golf, I have the water ready with between 32 and 36 C and don't have to wait 1 or 2 hours to heat it up.