Policia actively seeking bribes on John F Kennedy!

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
At 230pm, he came up to my new car, stopped at traffic light north bound, mumbled in Spanish, got in the car, and demanded 1000 pesos or he would confiscate my license. I was defenseless and paid. Four blocks later, across from Renault dealer, another scum Policia tried again. This time, my windows were up and the doors locked. I refused to look at him. Then, drove away when the light changed. He didn't shoot at me!

C

Chip00

At 230pm, he came up to my new car, stopped at traffic light north bound, mumbled in Spanish, got in the car, and demanded 1000 pesos or he would confiscate my license. I was defenseless and paid. Four blocks later, across from Renault dealer, another scum Policia tried again. This time, my windows were up and the doors locked. I refused to look at him. Then, drove away when the light changed. He didn't shoot at me!

What else is new? Don't pay them any attention and always have all of you're papers in order just in case.

Also, it wouldn't hurt if the know-it-alls in the capital quit paying the usesless dodo biirds so much and passed it in to the professionals. I talked with a police Sergeant major last week with 18 years experience and he was making
RD5500 a month - Que verguenza - Hell the local boy picando carne at the local colmado makes 6k a month!!!!

Sep 19, 2005
was he AMET?

I got stopped for a no seat belt infraction at a light on JFK a few months ago...the guy just asked for my papers...he didnt liemthe fact i didnt have anything but a photo copy of my NY drivers license....but he took it and wrote a ticket....I think he wantedto take me downtown, because he was worried i wouldnt come back.....I told my GF to tell him we are coming back friday and it was a wed....he let me go...but he didnt ask for a bribe at all...

I have never had an AMET officer ask for anything..

yet

bob

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
1000! wow...thats a lot! the ONE time we got pulled over my friend was driving sorta fast on el malecon...i ended up paying 300 pesos...and my friend was ****ed cuz i opened my mouth. it WAS however my very first trip and i was on a rented motor bike that I had rented with some tigre that i didnt know....so i was happy to pay the 300 and get my butt back home!

was an experience tho.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Are you sure it was police? was he carrying a gun? could you identify the official police markings?, or the police force (PN, AMET, etc.)?. I've seen it happen right in front of me. At stop lights. These guys are very slick, they first chose their potential victims from the sidelines, hiding in the shadows, or a tree. However, the police disguises are telltale, they don't carry the customary official police markings, and have no visible weapons. Like hawks, once they've identified their unsuspecting victim, they pounce on them mercilessly, giving them no time to think or even look at them enough to notice the ruse.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You did have a choice, don't pay. He wouldn't have done anything.
Just stop the car and get out, even if it's in the middle of traffic, see what the idiot does then. These cops are just pure scum and should be treated as such.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Are you sure it was police?

That would be my question, too. If you suspect it is someone 'passing' as police, please don't let them into your car. Could end up being a lot worse than 1000 pesos. With all the guys in fake uniforms these days, if you are stopped at traffic lights & get approached you need to see police ID. Well, first you need to know what you are looking for, like visible weapons. The amount of money demanded makes it seem a bit suspect.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
what would be your advice to tourists who don't speak Spanish in these situations? Someone in a rental car on holiday being confronted by a police man expecting a bribe might be interesting communication?!!?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
what would be your advice to tourists who don't speak Spanish in these situations? Someone in a rental car on holiday being confronted by a police man expecting a bribe might be interesting communication?!!?

I speak very BAD Spanish, but when stopped, I speak NO SPANISH....
Works everytime. I do throw in a "No Intendo" now and then.

One kept asking me for "dinero".
I kept saying "No speaka Spanish, speaka English".
He finally said: "MONEY!"
I replied: "AMERICANO!"

He finally gave up and motioned for me to leave, he was losing money taking so much time trying to get "dinero" from me.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
My advice for tourists and residents alike, for the DR (and not just Santo Domingo)

#1 - NEVER drive around the DR with your doors unlocked. Papa Benito, why in the HECK would you let someone get into your car????

#2 - NEVER drive around with your windows down more than 2 inches. If they start trying to reach in and unlock your doors, drive off, with or without them hanging inside your window)

#3- if someone who looks like a cop motions you to stop, or to talk, stop somewhere in full public view, like right where you are, in the middle of traffic as long as you won't get hit from behind by fast moving traffic - force the guy to make a quick decision or get on with whatever he is doing (NEVER pull off onto a side street or somewhere dark) and either play like an ignorant tourist who doesn't speak Spanish, (and saying "me no speaky Spanish) or else say no more than "Que tal?".

#4 - just like a professional chauffeur, ALWAYS leave yourself an out, and a way to drive off if you feel physically threatened. Always have a way to turn out, and get away, even if it means the sidewalk, a side street, the median, whatever. Genuine tickets are preferable to physical harm to yourself or your family.

# 5 - have your paperwork in order, and easily accessible - the idea of a copy with everything on one page is a GREAT one. Give it to them if you must. (and here is a good reason to be like a dominican, and have an old address, or a wrong address, on your Dominican drivers license, if they were to get any cute ideas about showing up at your home later)

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
GringoCarlos: Great post!!! Specially, always have doors locked and drive away with the guy dragging behind if you have to.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
They were at it on Avenida Espa?a late on Thursday night. Strange looking prostitutes, I thought - bet they don't get many punters... oh, it's the police.
I was in a taxi coming back from the airport and the driver just growled "taxista" at them so they waved him on.

"Solo estan buscando cuartos, y nunca joden con taxistas", apparently.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Strange looking prostitutes, I thought - bet they don't get many punters... oh, it's the police.

:laugh: I won't ask what they were wearing.............

Excellent advice GringoCarlos. Maybe it should be added to the Safety in DR sticky?

The only thing I'd add is that if anyone beckons you to stop, pull over etc only do so when you have no other option and only when you are among a lot of people. I've posted somewhere about the motorcyclist who tried to pull the trick that I reversed into him - he wanted me to stop, I only did so when he picked up a rock to throw at my windscreen and even then not immediately - only after I found a street full of guys repairing cars where I pulled up in the middle of them. They thought I was a new customer so came enquiring which was just what I wanted.