Money????

shadow1982

Apr 11, 2007
Hi everyone,

I'm going to Punta Cana at the beginning of May (to volunteer at an ecological reserve- will be there for 4 weeks).
I think I'll be staying in Veron. I have no idea how close/far that is the town. (or if Veron IS the town!):ermm:
I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips regarding money- like are there cash machines around or should I bring cash to last me the whole I'm there?
Is it best to change UK pounds into US dollars or Dominican pesos?
I aim to bring about ?500 (which is roughly $1000), will that be enough bearing in mind that my meals are already paid for?
Thanks alot in advance!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There is probably a bank or two in Ver?n (locals like PJT or KateP can confirm this) which is a small town very close to the Punta Cana resort area.
In any case, the hotels have cash machines too.

I'd say bring some US$ but you will have access to your UK account via cashpoint machines. If your food and accommodation is covered, ?500 is not a bad amount for four weeks beer money - what else is there to spend it on in that part of the country?

If you plan to do some exploring in the DR you might need a little more to cover travel, accommodation and food while you're away from base.
Good luck!

Feb 7, 2007
I suggest you do not keep a lot of money in cash. If you want, get travellers checks. Most casas de cambio will accept them (in USD). You can also get a prepaid VISA/ATM card from Banco Leon in Bavaro or Higuey for a cost of 1 USD. In both instances, your money is protected in case of loss or theft and will be replaced if such case occurs.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Hey, sorry I took a while to answer... just out of curiousity, which ecological reserve are you going to be working in? That would help me locate the nearest ATM for you. In Veron you've got 2 options if I'm not mistaken. One at the gas station which is where you have to pass to get anywhere you want to go and another one a little ways down the road towards Bavaro (Banco Popular ATM).

shadow1982

Apr 11, 2007
Thanks for the replies- very helpful. :-D

Kate, I will be working at the Punta Cana Ecological Foundation.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Hah!! I'll be seeing you around then. My office is right next to the Center. You'll have 2 ATMs in the hotel so not a problem at all...