National Identity

Status
Not open for further replies.

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
Hi
My neice is writing a paper on the Dominican Republic and she asked a question I did not know the answer to. Can anyone tell me what the " national identity" of the DR is. For example in Canada it is the Beaver. I was familiar with all the other questions this was a little tougher. Any help woudl be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
National identity is much broader than an animal that's used as a national symbol.

The DR has the endemic Palm Chat (cigua palmera) as its national bird, and the Royal Palm (palma real) as its national tree. Not sure if there is a national mammal, reptile, fish or flower as well.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
National identity is much broader than an animal that's used as a national symbol.

The DR has the endemic Palm Chat (cigua palmera) as its national bird, and the Royal Palm (palma real) as its national tree. Not sure if there is a national mammal, reptile, fish or flower as well.

The OP seems to be confusing 'national identity' with the 'official' symbols of the Dominican Republic, as established by law. There is an official bird, a plant, etc. I have a vague recollection, seeing them in stamps and travel brochures. I don't remember. However, I'm sure that most of my fellow Dominican citizens are unaware of them, or that they're even taught in school. 'National identity' seems to be a different cup of tea, so to speak, and probably refers to a question: What is it about being a Dominican? How can you explain being Dominican to another person living in another country? And I doubt expats are the best source for an answer to these questions.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
The DR;

National motto: Dios, Patria, Libertad

The Palm Chat (Dulus dominicus) The national bird, the Palm Chat is very common in the Dominican and is found in real palm trees all over the island and it is famous for its song.

Mahogany Flower (Swietenia macrophylla) Found on several of the Dominican peso bills this flower comes from the Mahogany tree created by Presidential decree in the time of Trujillo.

The Mahogany tree (Swietenia Mahogani) Considered a precious wood this tree is used in fine cabinets and furniture to naval construction.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
...the Mahogany tree created by Presidential decree in the time of Trujillo. QUOTE]

No wonder people respected Trujillo (El Jefe), he had so much power that he was able to create a tree, and by presidential decree. ;-)

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
The OP seems to be confusing 'national identity' with the 'official' symbols of the Dominican Republic, as established by law. There is an official bird, a plant, etc. I have a vague recollection, seeing them in stamps and travel brochures. I don't remember. However, I'm sure that most of my fellow Dominican citizens are unaware of them, or that they're even taught in school. 'National identity' seems to be a different cup of tea, so to speak, and probably refers to a question: What is it about being a Dominican? How can you explain being Dominican to another person living in another country? And I doubt expats are the best source for an answer to these questions.
The Dominican Republic has become a popular bird watching destination. The national bird is the cotica parrot, which is green, very talkative and a popular pet though now subject to protection. Other birds seen include several types of parrots, hummingbirds, the guaraguao (a hawk), barrancol? and the flautero. Mammals on the island include the hutia, an endangered, endemic rodent, the also endangered manatee whose habitat is located in Estero Hondo.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
. The national bird is the cotica parrot, which is green, very talkative and a popular pet though now subject to protection.

I believe this is incorrect and Rick has indicated the correct answer below already.

The DR;

The Palm Chat (Dulus dominicus) The national bird, the Palm Chat is very common in the Dominican and is found in real palm trees all over the island and it is famous for its song.

CUBL

smilesnsb

Mar 21, 2002
mangu!

Hi
My neice is writing a paper on the Dominican Republic and she asked a question I did not know the answer to. Can anyone tell me what the " national identity" of the DR is. For example in Canada it is the Beaver. I was familiar with all the other questions this was a little tougher. Any help woudl be appreciated. Thanks in advance

I think that the Mangu is the Identity you are looking for......Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.