Real estate fraud.

MickA

Mar 13, 2007
I am coming close to buying property in the DR. I have heard a lot about property fraud, but without many specifics. How do I avoid the pitfalls? My impression is that it mostly occurs at the registration stage, with the same property sold 2 or 3 times on forged documents - is this correct, or are there other versions? Is it something that will automatically be picked up by a competent lawyer, or is it more sophisticated than this?

Any information appreciated.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Your competent lawyer is your friend. Pay them happily to do all the checks that need to be done. They sometimes go through the cabinets at the land registry by hand, in order to make sure the property is good for resale.

I hope the new law will improve the conditions of fraud. We are waiting for the Lawyer that gives advice on the board to complete a write-up on the new law ... read more about it in the legal forum.

MickA

Mar 13, 2007
Thanks for this Chris, and to the people who sent me PMs. I am going to exercise caution in choosing a lawyer.

What I was hoping to get was some kind of insight into how this stuff happens and how to avoid it. Does anybody know this?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Thanks for this Chris, and to the people who sent me PMs. I am going to exercise caution in choosing a lawyer.

What I was hoping to get was some kind of insight into how this stuff happens and how to avoid it. Does anybody know this?

It happens in many ways, from false titles, people selling land that they don't actually own, developers taking your money, then vanishing etc etc.

I suggest you contact Fabio Guzman either via the Legal Forum on DR1 or via his website. The Dominican Republic Law Firm: Guzman Ariza, Attorneys at Law.

Many people on this board have used his law firm for real estate transactions and have been VERY happy. He has offices all over the country.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
My impression is that it mostly occurs at the registration stage, with the same property sold 2 or 3 times on forged documents - is this correct, or are there other versions? Is it something that will automatically be picked up by a competent lawyer, or is it more sophisticated than this? Any information appreciated.

If you search back in the archives of the national paper Diario Libre from September 2005 to around January 2006 you'll find an investigation they did. The area was Bavaro, but subsequently they found instances of the same thing in Santiago and other areas. The Land Registry was issuing duplicate titles: the 'mafia' consisted of a corrupt Land Registry official, some lawyers and some realtors. One family was selling a piece of land which had been in the family for 50 years. It only came to light when purchaser's lawyer did the searches and discovered that as well as the '50 year family', title was also issued in the name of someone else. The 50 year family only became aware of this when they came to sell.

As more and more cases were unearthed this prompted me to do a search on my title (not using the services of a lawyer) just in case my title had 'changed hands' unbeknownst to me and I was now living in a house situated on land owned by one (or more!) other people. It hadn't, I was OK but it was an interesting exercise in itself.

In order for the 'mafia' to work the Registrar had to be in on it. They did prosecute some of the lawyers & realtors involved but the Registrar took early retirement in order to write poetry...........;)

So to answer your question, this doesn't just happen at registration stage. It can happen at any time. Some of these titles changed hands 3 times in a 24 hour period. I've let it be known that I'll be running a title search on my title every 3 years or so - for the few hundred pesos taxes/stamps which it costs if you do it yourself, it is well worth it. Just takes a bit of time. I wouldn't advise trying it yourself for new people; you need to have Spanish & be familiar with the workings of the Land Registry. Better to use a trusted lawyer. And it's a good idea to spend a lot of time looking for a really trusted lawyer. But for long term residents/owners I would recommend it. Mainly because it gets the message out that you are keeping tabs on your own title & by doing your own search you have eliminated one possibility for corruption i.e. the lawyer.

And just in case anyone is wondering, the Land Registry didn't know I was searching my own title. I was concerned I'd get a 'Dominican optimism' response if they knew this - 'of course it's ok, it's your own title'. Fortunately my partner & I have different surnames so I was able to search using his ID which made it look as if it was a search prior to a purchase, rather than a search of my own title in order to uncover a land registry mafia.

Last edited:
B

batich

Deleted by Robert.

Post or PM me the story with all the details. Rumors and what I heard at the bar stories will be deleted, so you better make sure you have all your ducks in order before posting ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
B

batich

I got your valuable lesson, Robert. Thank you! I am smart guy. No te preocupes!

Deleted by Robert.

Post or PM me the story with all the details. Rumors and what I heard at the bar stories will be deleted, so you better make sure you have all your ducks in order before posting ;)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I got your valuable lesson, Robert. Thank you! I am smart guy. No te preocupes!

What lesson?

As I told you via this board and via PM. If you have something that is factual and not just a rumor, please post the information, maybe we can all learn from it.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
Obtain a copy of the 'Certfication of clear title' on whatever you are going to buy either from the land registrar in Santiago or the capital. I have found that it is not always up to date in the provinces (particularly Puerto Plata).

JRR

Dec 9, 2004
Titles!

Many of the attorneys in the country just bring the documentation to the proper gov?t office and wait for one of the employees to do the search. Other atty?s do it themselves which is much more dependable, but rare.

To protect yourself, consider getting title insurance like you would in the US or Canada. It is available through Stewart title or First American.

JRR