Robbery at GBP Cayo Levantado

Feb 7, 2007
To start, I have never, ever, thought a thing like this can happen in a 6-star hotel (official designation 5*GL - Grand Luxury).

Last night, my cellphone (1 moth old, price tag RD$11.000) was stolen from inside the room at Gran Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado resort, in Samana.

The phone was stolen between 6pm an 1am last night, from a nightstand where it always resides 24 hours, with very few people entering the room (night's maid, and room service). Neither was supervised in their entry into the room. The hotel security is supposedly "investigating" but so far no results.

I ringed my phone from my other cellphone at the moment I found out the phone was missing, obviously, no ring sound within the room (where it should be heard if the phone was somehow displaced within the room) and it was answered by somebody and kept silince in spite of multiple "halos, helos, holas, and alikes". Then the phone weant "dead" (turned off).

This was a brand new Sony Ericcson W710i, which I just got with my Orange Fidepuntos. Of couse, Orange cannot block the IMEI, just the SIM card, they only put IMEI on alert so if somedy tries to actiavte a new chip, they won't be able, but they would not seize the phone neither would they try to block the IMEI to reject logging on the network with any SIM card.

Warning to anyone who may want to visit Gran Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado or any Gran Bahia Principe resort in the Samana region - YOU MAY GET ROBBED WHILE INSIDE THE RESORT by the very employees of the resort. Because all resorts are recently open (only several months) the employees are also new and not checked out well through the years of dedicated work as may be the case in Puerto Plata or Bavaro resorts.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Sorry you were not robbed. You had property that was stolen. That is a Larceny. In order to have a robbery force must be used. Thanks for the info though.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Always use the safe to keep any valuable property while at a hotel. Not just in The DR. I had an expensive cologne swiped at a Hilton here in The US a while back. No way for me to prove it was taken from my room...of course I knew it was the maid(s), but all I could do was log a complaint and hopefully if there were other complaints about that specific person he/she gets fired, but in the end you lose your property.

mrkrsll

Apr 14, 2007
The best place and this might make some hotels mad if you make a mess...Take a razor blade and cut a thin line on the side of the mattress really close to a seam where it will not be noticed even if someone were looking at it. Then you have a little spot to hide small things like money idetification and stuff like that. I would cut it at the head of the mattress seeing that most people who are looking to steal would just lift the mattress from the side and not the top.....Some may think this is a bad idea but I do it when I go outta town all the time :D

mrkrsll

Apr 14, 2007
Most of us will not willfully destruct property that belongs to someone else. :angry:

Like I said some will agree some wont...But the way I look at it if this hotel is keeping people on staff that steal and commit low life crimes like this then they must expect people to take some type of action to make sure this does not ahppen to them...And anyways there uhh..."square" :bored: Im sure worse things happen in hotel rooms then a little incision in a mattress...
But your right some dont feel comfotable about doing stuff like this...Well then I guess you can have you money and what not ripped off and feel good that you did not take matter into your own hand lmao

Or just use the hotel safe ;)

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
???

a little incision in a mattress...[/QUOTE]

So let me get this straight,,,,
if somebody like yourself was looking to rent a place for two months as your previous posts suggest, and they rented "your place", it would be okay with you for them to cut open your mattress ?.

could you explain ?.

LT

mrkrsll

Apr 14, 2007
a little incision in a mattress...

So let me get this straight,,,,
if somebody like yourself was looking to rent a place for two months as your previous posts suggest, and they rented "your place", it would be okay with you for them to cut open your mattress ?.

could you explain ?.

LT[/QUOTE]

I have expained....Like I said some think it might be a bad idea I dont think it is that big of a problem. We know where you stand and I sure a hell was not looking for any smart ass criticism
Whats your problem? It was a thought...Maybe sharing it might do someone some good maybe not....Whats ur beef man.

mrkrsll

Apr 14, 2007
And my thoughts on this...I would sleep better at night knowing that my money and what not are safe and that I have put a little incision in a 'hotel' mattress...Then to have been ripped off by someone on their staff...

Anyways...Moving on :S

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Whats ur beef man.
Let me answer that.
He/she's an honest respectful person and he has a beef with people like you, who are not.
I own a hotel, and I wouldn't want a person like you staying here, as you seem to presume you can destroy property, based on the fact that some hotel owner somewhere in the world, may consciously be keeping a thieving employee.
What a crock of shyte.
How would you like it if I took a razor blade you your things?
I hope that fate, destiny and carma pay you back properly in this life.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
The best place and this might make some hotels mad if you make a mess...Take a razor blade and cut a thin line on the side of the mattress really close to a seam where it will not be noticed even if someone were looking at it. Then you have a little spot to hide small things like money idetification and stuff like that. I would cut it at the head of the mattress seeing that most people who are looking to steal would just lift the mattress from the side and not the top.....Some may think this is a bad idea but I do it when I go outta town all the time :D

I like both sides of the coin on this one. However, when you analyze the size of the slit. For a cell phone the slit would need to be 2" wide, but how much is a cell phone?

A laptop would require an incision the size of destroying the mattress totally

When you try to travel to these 3rd world coutries expect to take a hit here and there.........it's the poverty tax !!

mrkrsll

Apr 14, 2007
Ok look buddy...Your in a country that sure as hell does not play by our rules. There is some shady stuff that goes on there. Yet you feel that you have to play by some honor rules. No matter how we look at this your right...It will be destroying someones property. I get that ;)
But like I said some might agree with it...some might not. You are obviously the some that "might not"
Your not gonna change my view and I really dont care what yours are. So this is no longer a discussion :)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Ok look buddy...Your in a country that sure as hell does not play by our rules. There is some shady stuff that goes on there. Yet you feel that you have to play by some honor rules. No matter how we look at this your right...It will be destroying someones property. I get that ;)
But like I said some might agree with it...some might not. You are obviously the some that "might not"
Your not gonna change my view and I really dont care what yours are. So this is no longer a discussion :)
You might think I'm an asshole, but I'm an honest asshole, which is way better than being a dishonest asshole like you.
As for this country, don't think that you have to bother coming here witrh your perceptions that honour rules don't apply.
They apply a thousand times more here than in those 911 societies, where indecent people are forced to be decent for fear of the law.
Here, decent people are decent, because they want to be.
Can you tell that I have no respect for you?

mrkrsll

Apr 14, 2007
Let me answer that.
He/she's an honest respectful person and he has a beef with people like you, who are not.
I own a hotel, and I wouldn't want a person like you staying here, as you seem to presume you can destroy property, based on the fact that some hotel owner somewhere in the world, may consciously be keeping a thieving employee.
What a crock of shyte.
How would you like it if I took a razor blade you your things?
I hope that fate, destiny and carma pay you back properly in this life.

Im a strong believer of karma as well...You know what this is being blown completley outta proportion. Im talk a ****ing little slit so small you would never know infact if I were to make one I might even forget where it was.
NO matter what "you are right" it is still wrong. but this does not change the way I look at keeping my stuff safe in a hotel room.
This is really funny as well cause I really dont think that I would ever need to worry about this when im donw there cause I really wont have anything that I would care if I had to part with.
Like I said before it was a ****ing idea that some might like and some might now....Lets move on and show how grown up we are here bud!!!

mrkrsll

Apr 14, 2007
You might think I'm an asshole, but I'm an honest asshole, which is way better than being a dishonest asshole like you.
As for this country, don't think that you have to bother coming here witrh your perceptions that honour rules don't apply.
They apply a thousand times more here than in those 911 societies, where indecent people are forced to be decent for fear of the law.
Here, decent people are decent, because they want to be.
Can you tell that I have no respect for you?

Hey to each their own buddy :)

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Didnt he say that disscussion was over,
So now we can move on to something intelligent and some helpful insight for which this forum is intended.

Last edited:
A

apostropheman

you're losing your little battle so now it's time to "take your toys and go home...to mami"?
Like I said before it was a ****ing idea that some might like and some might now....Lets move on and show how grown up we are here bud!!!