Custody rights

multilang

Apr 28, 2005
Hello,

I am separated from my girlfriend with whom I had a little girl. The baby is now 10 months old, and the mother doesn't let me see her much by pure revenge.

I am maintaining my little girl 100%, I pay for it all, not because I have to, but because I feel it's my responsability. Even renting an apartment for the mother so she could be with the baby close to me, but she prefers to stay

The mother works for peanuts as a junior doctor and barely sees the daughter also, the baby is basically brought up by her aunt.

So my questions are:

I'd like to fight for the custody, but I know there's little chance for me to get it (even though the baby would be better off economically, culturally and would receive a better education from me), if I get a right to see the baby, could I have her at my place and how many days a week could I get (knowing I employ a full-time maid)?

Could I ever dream of taking my baby/girl out of the country so that my family in Europe can know her - knowing the mother will always oppose to this by fear of my not getting back with her?

Is there such a thing as a 50/50 custody in the DR (I live in Santiago by the way)? I was told it didn't exist, but my experience is that you hear everything and its contrary here.

Also, if there are any single father here who obtained custody of his child in the DR, I'd like to hear your experience as I prepare to "fight".

Thanks for your time

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Don't be so negitive

First off did you declare this baby as your own, in other words is you name on the birth certi. If not you have some problems but, nothing that cannot be resolved. First you must establish if you are the real father DNA test. If you are the father you have rights that she cannot deny. First off start keepin a paper trail of everything you have spent and are spending keep all fotos e-mails phone records etc. Do not play games with her and have no sexually relations with her, any meetings in public to see the child not alone or under soly her supervison. Hire a good laywer or if speak and read excellent spanish you can file the proper paperwork to get joint custody first to get full custody is not easy you will have to prove she is a bad person or a danger to the child. It is better to let her believe it is in the best intrest of the child. Poco a poco. It may be better to let a third person mediate for you if you have someone you can trust maybe a priest.

multilang

Apr 28, 2005
Hello,

Thanks for the feedback Capt Rob

Yes, I declared the child and she bears my last name. That's was priority number 1.

The thing is that the mother cruelly lacks common sense and would just anything to **** me off... and she managed to get me physically angry once.

For the rest, I speak Spanish fluently but I obviously look foreigner, so everything seems to take longer and I really have no patience to cope with the system here on my own.

I have what I believe to be a good lawyer after trying several before who behaved like real a holes.

I am indeed mediating with the muchacha that was working for us (and now for me), but even her gets out of patience due to the mother's attitude.

Legal matters can be slow, anywhere, but they sure are here.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Please PM me.

If you both live in Santiago, this should be fairly easy to settle.

HB

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Visitation and custody

In Santiago, go to the Tribunal para ninos, ninas y adelosentes.

There you can file a petion for visitation.

Then they will make a appointment for her to meet with you and a mediator to see if you can come to an acuerdo amigable.

If not, the they will give you instructions on the next step to have an official hearing.

The Tribunal there in Santiago is very fair and to the letter of the law, you will get visitation, and that will basicly be joint custody.

Advice REQUEST all that you want, if you want her every weekend, request it.

Make sure that you do have proof that you have been supporting her.

If you really want custody, you can request it, the law says in the best interest of the child.

Mine is also in Santiago, she is only five monthes old, but I will be returning for custody at six monthes.

GOOD LUCK