What are the side affects?

T

Tracey

Could anyone tell me what are the side affects of taking malaria tablets?

J

Johanna

I just started taking mine yesterday and I'm feeling fine...I don't think there are any side effects...maybe something to do with vision, but nothing severe. Does that help? Write back. Johanna

S

Susanne

That depends on what you are taking. Chloroquine is the kind recommended for Haiti and if you stay overnight in rural areas in the Dominican Republic. Chloroquine mainly affects the stomach and/or the skin. Side effects are generally mild and affect few.

For more information, check the homepage of Centers for Disease Control, follow the link below.

Regards, Susanne

P

Pam

I've been taking the pills for two weeks. I leave for my trip tomorrow. I have had no side effects.

E

ECH, M.D.

For all of you who prefer to be ?safe than sorry? I have enclosed just a PARTIAL list of the complications of Chloroquin phosphate antimalarial prophylaxis. Ocular reactions: irreversible retinal damage in patients receiving long term or high dose therapy. Visual disturbances including blurring of vision and difficulty of focusing or accommodation. Convulsive seizures Nerve type deafness, tinnitus, reduced hearing. Anorexia, nausea, vomiting diarrhea, abdominal cramps Pleomorphic skin eruptions, pigment changes, eruptions and hair loss Mild headache, psychic stimulation Hypotension (rare) electrocardiographic changes Blood disorders (dyscrasias) Since it is concentrated in the liver it should be used with caution in patients with liver disease, alcoholism, or used in conjunction with other hepato-toxic drugs A number of fatalities have been reported following the accidental ingestion of Chloroquine phosphate in relatively small doses. The use of medication should not be taken lightly. ALL medication (including aspirin) has the potential for adverse reactions. ONLY take medications when there is a clear indication for same and on the advice of your physician.

C

caroline

could you clarify one statement for me? "since it is concentrated in the liver it should be used with caution in patients with liver disease, alcoholism, or used in conjunction with other hepato-toxic drugs"

Does this mean that taking cloroquine with the hep A vaccine could result in complications? just asking as these seem to be the most commonly talked about medications when travelling to the DR?

E

ECH, M.D.

No, no problem taking the vaccine. Basically in lay terms what it is trying to say is that people with a "sick liver" must be extra cautious and weigh the benefits against the dangers. If you have a liver that is only marginally functioning, you must be extra careful and monitored closely, very closely.

C

caroline

thanks, i was hoping you would clarify what "other hepato-toxic drugs" means. Since hep A vacccine is also not appropriate for individuals with an unhealthy liver is it a(n) hepato-toxic drug?

And since i am on the subject may i also ask: what happens to an individual who takes the hep A vaccine and then later in life develops alcoholism? again i am just curious.