Walmart, JC Penny, Target, Home Depot and Sears

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Wow, according to this report these are all potentially looking at the DR.
Caribbean Net News: The source for news throughout the Caribbean

Do you think it is a good thing, or a bad thing? Will anyone sell just plain old Presidente ;) and will the Colmados survive? Will the Dominican Republic supermercados survive? What will happen to say OchoA with Wallmart and Home Depot and Sears right next to it?

Who was DR-Cafta created for anyway? To make more sales opportunities for the big chains or to create opportunity for the DR?

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
bigger question: will the avg dominican be able to afford their prices ??

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
General U.S. beer/rum/alcoholic bevarages tariffs are a killer ...

...Grupo Leon/Cerveceria Nacional (aka Presidente) and Brugal have also ramped up their effort in expanding within the U.S.

..same hold for tariffs on ethanol.

Last edited:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Uhm, you'd think that eh! I'd still like to see for example OchoA announce that they're going to expand into Miami! ;)

yeap, these huge conglomerates just come to the island and CRUSH the national companies :disappoin
Maybe, just maybe some of these government officials and/or businessmen think a little about the country's well being not just about all the money they're making, but about the impact on the environment, social and psychological lives of the Dominicans. Is the DR gonna become a huge mall???? or just grounds for these huge companies to make money of????

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
Wow, according to this report these are all potentially looking at the DR.
Caribbean Net News: The source for news throughout the Caribbean

Do you think it is a good thing, or a bad thing? Will anyone sell just plain old Presidente ;) and will the Colmados survive? Will the Dominican Republic supermercados survive? What will happen to say OchoA with Wallmart and Home Depot and Sears right next to it?

Who was DR-Cafta created for anyway? To make more sales opportunities for the big chains or to create opportunity for the DR?

Read the article ...The new retail stores in the country are expected to generate greater wealth because, aside from increasing demand for products, they will also generate more jobs, new companies and there will be greater product diversity in the market. They will also generate a new demand for the transport of products from production centres, which will also increase the demand for other services...and means lets go shopping !!!

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
in 1964 my dad bought me a new schwinn bicycle, it cost 50$ US. now, 43 years later, in wal-mart, similar schwinn bike is 49$ US. i love wal-mart. in the US most "downtowns" were killed by "shopping centers", in the suburbs, in the 1960's. somehow america (US) managed to survive. i think that those, and we know who they are, that have been ripping off the public for years are in trouble. wal-mart won't hurt the colmados but they will hurt the large department stores. i shed no tears for those fat greedy b#st&rds and their rich political buddies that kept them in business and others out. their employees, who don't make any money, can work at wal-mart where they won't make any money. everyone else in the country gets a pay raise because now their peso goes further. it could also lower the crime rate, why kill someone for a cell phone when you can get it at wal-mart for 20 bucks.
let's face facts. the DR is beautiful, the people wonderful, the weather great, mountains, beaches, awesome. but, it is still a very screwed up place. wal-mart won't make it worse, that is a fact..................

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
not more screwed than lets say cuba, jamaica and puerto rico....... as for big companies coming over i would welcome it because your big dominican companies like ochoa, la sirena etc. really need some competion as far as prices go. ochoa rips people off on a daily basis and so does la sirena.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Competition makes everything better, and benefits the consumer.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
the profits have been leaving the country for years anyway. whenever i'm around rich-important, business-politicos, in SD i am always asked where in the US i'm from. when i tell them miami they can't get it into the conversation fast enough that they have a condo/house in miami, they go to miami once a month shopping, jewish doctor in miami,(not making that one up), bank in miami, use a particular stockbroker in miami, kid in school in miami U. when i mention that my daughter is in her second year of college in barcelona, spain, they tell me about their house in spain. other than the big house in SD, plus one at the beach or mountains, lots of money is leaving the DR.......and i have noticed that the rich do not give to charities like in the US but that could be a tax thing for the rich in the US.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
wal-mart won't hurt the colmados but they will hurt the large department stores. i shed no tears for those fat greedy b#st&rds and their rich political buddies that kept them in business and others out. .........

Excellent point!

wal-mart and those other dept store mentioned in the U.S goes for the same market as the mom-and-pops (think the poeple that are regular custumer of Mcdonalds): the working class and middle class. But the DR aint the USA. A wal-mart/JC Penny etc, in DR would go after the upper middle class and the moneyed people (think of Dominican that can affor Mcdonalds), while the colmados specialize on the lower middle class and working poor.

Put another way: the Chris of DR may leave Ochoa Carefour, Price Mart, and Carrefour and start patronizing wal-mart, but their gardeners and cleaning ladies will still continue patronizing their local colmados.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
interesting, ..

From that same site: Mamajuana started to be sold in the U.S.!!

Wednesday, January 31, 2007
MIAMI, USA: Don Ramon Mamajuan has announced the launch of its Mamajuana liqueur drink mix in the US starting February 27. This will be the first time that such a product from the Dominican Republic is available for the US market.

Unlike many other traditional Mamajuana found on the islands, Don Ramon Mamajuana is specially prepared to comply with USDA and FDA regulations set for safety and cleanliness of product. Each bottle is tamper-proof sealed and includes mixing and preparation directions.

The official product launch will start this February 27 to commemorate Dominican Republic's Independence Day.

Don Ramon Mamajuana Corp. of FL offers , ...

Mamajuana Corp.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Put another way: the Chris of DR may leave Ochoa Carefour, Price Mart, and Carrefour and start patronizing wal-mart, but their gardeners and cleaning ladies will still continue patronizing their local colmados.

Hahahah! If you know my buying habits, then you'll know that no-one is going to get rich of me as a consumer. And I made a solemn vow never to buy anything at Walmart. But now, the Walmart management said that they are beginning to follow more 'green' policies ... Uhm... Maybe I'll break my vows!

It will be really interesting to see a Walmart store integrating in the DR and how they do it. Some years ago, in my country of origin, we laughed like crazy when McDonalds started opening. They are still hanging on for dear life but nobody goes there.

Last edited:

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Damned Right!

in 1964 my dad bought me a new schwinn bicycle, it cost 50$ US. now, 43 years later, in wal-mart, similar schwinn bike is 49$ US. i love wal-mart. in the US most "downtowns" were killed by "shopping centers", in the suburbs, in the 1960's. somehow america (US) managed to survive. i think that those, and we know who they are, that have been ripping off the public for years are in trouble. wal-mart won't hurt the colmados but they will hurt the large department stores. i shed no tears for those fat greedy b#st&rds and their rich political buddies that kept them in business and others out. their employees, who don't make any money, can work at wal-mart where they won't make any money. everyone else in the country gets a pay raise because now their peso goes further. it could also lower the crime rate, why kill someone for a cell phone when you can get it at wal-mart for 20 bucks.
let's face facts. the DR is beautiful, the people wonderful, the weather great, mountains, beaches, awesome. but, it is still a very screwed up place. wal-mart won't make it worse, that is a fact..................

As was stated: The more competition, the lower the prices, the less money going into the greedy blood suckers; the more $$ staying in the stressed-out consumer's pockets. I hope these foreign companies come in and do their darndest to put the DR's price-fixing abusers out of business!!!

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
As was stated: The more competition, the lower the prices, the less money going into the greedy blood suckers; the more $$ staying in the stressed-out consumer's pockets. I hope these foreign companies come in and do their darndest to put the DR's price-fixing abusers out of business!!!

i couldn't have said it better myself sir. these greedy big companies in dr control prices hopefully some of these big companies will be able to put them out on the street like they deserve.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
No defending Wal Mart ..just saying

Hahahah! If you know my buying habits, then you'll know that no-one is going to get rich of me as a consumer. And I made a solemn vow never to buy anything at Walmart. But now, the Walmart management said that they are beginning to follow more 'green' policies ... Uhm... Maybe I'll break my vows!

Where do you shop at? Price Mart? Carrefour? Ochoa? La Nacional? Bet you Wal Mart is way "greener" than any of those.