Mosquito Infestations

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGoss

Mar 28, 2007
I was just talking to some friends that arrived back from the cabarete/Sosua area and they told me that there were two nights that the Mosquito's were so bad that restaurants were actually closing down. They had to take their food with them back to the villa.

Is this a common occurance or just because of all the rain that you had?

I know when I was there, there was NONE.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I was just talking to some friends that arrived back from the cabarete/Sosua area and they told me that there were two nights that the Mosquito's were so bad that restaurants were actually closing down. They had to take their food with them back to the villa.

Is this a common occurance or just because of all the rain that you had?

I know when I was there, there was NONE.
I have never heard of a restaurant closing down for mosquitos, nor have we had more mosquitos than after other big rainfalls, at least not here in Sosua.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
I have never heard of a restaurant closing down for mosquitos, nor have we had more mosquitos than after other big rainfalls, at least not here in Sosua.

I have never heard of that either and the mosquitos are not that bad at all.

I live in Sosua and you get those no seeums around dusk but other than that no problemo

Caz

May 15, 2004
mosquitos

Never heard of restaurants closing due to mosquitos - even after the rain they haven't been more of a problem than repellant can cope with. Had far worse problems in the Bahamas, Florida and Australia.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
Never heard of restaurants closing due to mosquitos - even after the rain they haven't been more of a problem than repellant can cope with. Had far worse problems in the Bahamas, Florida and Australia.

That's for sure. It's all about pools of water and the soil of the DR absorbs rainfall rather quickly. Somewhat like Hawaii or Costa Rica

frankreyes3rd

Jan 15, 2007
mosquitos suck!

Mosquitos suck. One thing though, as long you have some level of healthcare you are going to be alright. I was unlucky enough to get Dengue and Malaria simultaneously. I have had worse 'flu. Five days of feeling crappy, but O.K. now.
If you are seriously worried about the dangers here, the moto-conchos and the general attitude towards health and safety is what's probably gonna kill you. Also, stop for nobody on the highway between S.D. and Santiago. There are still some bad dudes pretending to be police operating there.
A lot of gringos come here for the 'freedom'. With this come all the risks of living in the wild west.
At least you are probably not going to have some crazy dude go wild with a gun in the local school. You will find this person shooting at people, drunk at the weekend.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Mosquitos suck....

You mean you hadn't noticed? ;-).

"Dengue and malaria at the same time"?. I didn't believe it. So I looked it up, and... Low and Behold! you can actually get concurrently dengue and malaria!. And there's a document that says: "...probably, it's not a rare event". You must be extraordinarily strong and healthy, or jus plain lucky, or God has further plans for you, albeit sinister ;-)...

frankreyes3rd

Jan 15, 2007
mosquitos suck!

They told me there were 4 types of Dengue. I got type 1 which is fine if you treat it. Malaria, they tell me hangs around in the liver forever. Still preferable to being cold in europe 10 months of the year. If god does have plans, he can contact my lawyer first, I need to see a contract.

frankreyes3rd

Jan 15, 2007
Dengue

Just one more thing...the dengue mosquito has black and white stripes, there are loads around everywhre. I cannot beleive they all have dengue though...they all look so big and healthy.
The little blighters that do the biting seem to be so small they can only get 12inches off the ground.
My ankles are kinda ugly with all the biting and scratching. It takes a brave mosquito (or anything else for that matter) to get within biting distance of my feet!
Do they still do that 95% deet stuff in Canada? That works as a repellent, but apparently your kids could be born with 3 legs if you use it too much.:ermm:

Clayton

Apr 16, 2007
Mozzies

Hi all, just a quick question my friend who is coming to the dominican with me in July and is slightly freaked by all the talk of mozzies, and she wants to know that do they provide mozzy nets in hotels....personally i think she has watched the film the african queen to much!!!!:cheeky: any replies greatly received.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi all, just a quick question my friend who is coming to the dominican with me in July and is slightly freaked by all the talk of mozzies, and she wants to know that do they provide mozzy nets in hotels....personally i think she has watched the film the african queen to much!!!!:cheeky: any replies greatly received.
Kindly tell your girlfriend that Rocky says there are no mosquito nets and most tourists suffer a slow cruel painful death from all the bites.
What's amazing is they keep on sending us more tourists, as nobody seems to care.
The bodies are piling up here a bit too quick though, and it's starting to cause a problem.
We've considered just loading them up in boats and floating them off our island, but we're having a rough time finding body handlers.

Ok, ok.
I was just kidding.
Rarely would you see mosquito netting in a hotel, as most of them have screens on the windows and it's simply not a problem.
There are times of the year after a lot of rain, where there are more mosquitoes around, but nothing to worry about.
One can always spray with repellent, if necessary.

PS: The country is called the Dominican Republic, or the DR for short.
The Dominican is a person, just like the Canadian or the American.

sunny2

Apr 7, 2006
I'd like to know where they live now that they don't have to worry about mozzies in the spring and summer. We have wonderful big black flies here that eat me alive all summer long, worse than anything I have suffered in the DR.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
There was a threat not to long ago all about Malaria and Dengue. It has a lot of info about the both. I can't rembember if it was called mosquitos, dengue, it had something to do with 4 legged critters I remember that. I think it started out with Dengue.

I posted information about both diseases. Search for the thread. You will find more info than you wanted. :)

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
I was there in Sosua during the rains and there was just a minor problem w/ mosquitos. I live in Miami and there is a much worse problem here w/ noseeums and mosquitos....just follow the advice your mother gsave you as a kid and you will be fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.