Dental info

Adebola

Apr 19, 2007
Can anyone pls let me know the licensing requirements to practice dentistry in DR? I'm a dentist from Nigeria and want to join a mission trip to DR in July. Presently a public health student in Texas.Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You must have your records translated into Spanish and certified at a Dominican consulate
You must take courses at a recognized Dominican Dental School
You must become certified to practice in the Dominican Republic.

It usually takes several years.

You will face a lot of competition, since we have several very good dental schools that are working in close coordination with US Dental Schools as well as the major facilities in South America.

In other words, we do not need dentists.

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A US Dentist From Camp Hill PA. Visited With Us To Do Volunteer Dentistry

At The "Escuela Hogar Armando Rosenburg" in Sabana Perdida several years ago. He just came several times,and "Did his Thing!" I doubt if you will have any problems! Cris Colon

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I should have clarified that, Criss Colon, you are quite right.

Volunteer work can be arraigned through different church or NGO organizations.
La Profe1 in POP has done this and so have a lot of the good folks on this board.
Theoretically, they should get permission from the Public Health people for the medical personnel to do their work.

Also, 99.99% of the medical health professionals that come to the DR to volunteer their services are US, Canada or European graduates, not Nigeria. And there is really a world of difference. I think that there would be some hesitation on the part of local officials....

Note that the gentleman is not pursuing an advanced degree in dentistry nor is he acquiring certification to practice in the US, a process that can take up to three years...

HB

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I have always arranged formal permission with Public Health for the mission trips I arrange.

Adebola

Apr 19, 2007
Thank you for the information. I am not moving to the DR. A mission trip is being planned (by a church organization) to Sousa and I thought I could be of use. your comments are appreciated.