Now here is a kick in the butt!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The National Brewing Company (Cervecer?a Nacional Dominicana) makers of Presidente, Bohemia and Heinikens beers, has announced the end to its patronage of the Presidente Festival of Latin Music. The company said that the reason was the tremendous fall in beer sales due to the recent tax increases and the limitation on the hours of sales of alcoholic beverages. According to company spokespersons, sales are off 30% in the first quarter and the overall market has shrunk by 20% due to the government policies.

HB

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
I don't understand how anyone in this rather poor country can afford to drink beer at the current prices.

The monopoly must be broken.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I don't understand how anyone in this rather poor country can afford to drink beer at the current prices.

The monopoly must be broken.

YOU MUST be kidding!!! Dominicans would rather spend whatever little money they have on BEER than on milk for their kids!!!:tired:

This is outrageous though...the festival is one of the best ones in the world, (although not as highly visible as the Vi?a del Mar, or the Acapulco or the ones in Spain or Italy...)

It is a shame they would stop sponsoring it...'cause it won't be the same if someone else takes charge...:ermm:

BUT...again...it might also just be a clever publicity stunt by the company in order to force the government to ease up on the restrictions...:cheeky:

Is this too far fetched, HB???:paranoid:

Mrs. MQ

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
... BUT...again...it might also just be a clever publicity stunt by the company in order to force the government to ease up on the restrictions...:cheeky: ...

The "restrictions" happen to be a 53 percent tax on beer.

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
Beer is so dear.

i have spokeen to and notice a lot of residents have cut back quite a bit on drinking in the bars too,not just the dominicans.
bhrama at $50rd (big bottle)is the best deal you can find in colmados and supermarkets.
lots of forigners doing a fair bit of their drinking at these places now,and still seem to be having fun.
anybody know if the sale of rum has increased amongst foreigners and locals? even though i know this product has gone up in price too.
old pal tom,R.I.P used to say to me,"beer is so dear,but liquor is quicker".
now tht saying of his can be taken BOTH ways.:) :) :)

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
i have spokeen to and notice a lot of residents have cut back quite a bit on drinking in the bars too,not just the dominicans.
bhrama at $50rd (big bottle)is the best deal you can find in colmados and supermarkets.
lots of forigners doing a fair bit of their drinking at these places now,and still seem to be having fun.
anybody know if the sale of rum has increased amongst foreigners and locals? even though i know this product has gone up in price too.

"In heaven there is no beer, that's why we drink it here"

IrishAbroad Pub Culture - Drinking Quotes

:lick:

My favorite colmado sells 3 Brahma grandes for 120 pesos.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
On a relative basis Rum has gone up in price less then Beer. I have noticed more bottles of rum on tables then bottles of beer! Of course this is just my own little informal survey!

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Hey I can afford beer but I recently stopped drinking because I'm tired of acting like an idiot in public.

I have noticed lately that when I buy my sales team a round at the car wash across the street after an especially productive shift they are very grateful.

Also, about a year ago one of my best employees left his job because a long lost uncle gave him a liquor store in Bella Vista as a gift. (He quit to run the store) He came back to work last week saying he needed a job because nobody can afford to drink anymore.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Maybe this is not the appropriate place, but since this thread is about the dramatic drop in beer sales, the following can explain part of the dramatic drop in beer and liquour sales. A few weeks ago I inquired about the going price for drugs in several towns in the DR southwest, and this is the information I got from informants. For typical retail portions....

marijuana : $30 pesos

crack : $60 pesos

cocaine : $100 pesos

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It's NOT A "MONOPOLY" That Makes Beer Expensive!

It is "TAXES",just like what makes many other things expensive. The 12 midnight "curfew" also has lowered beer consumption,and therefore "Presidentes" profits.
Presidente is probably using the "Too Hogh Taxes" line to put pressure on the government to lower beer taxes.
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i remember when Dr.Balegeur was president, beer was cheap, people were happy, crime was down. now beer is expensive, people are rude, theft is everywhere.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006

6 packs of the smaller bhrama are now selling for 129 pesos at the playa supermecado in sosua . I do not kmow if that is the new price but has been that price for 2 weeks now......was 180 pesos

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
3 brahma for 100$ is why presidente doesn't have money for merengue festival. taxes are passed on to the consumer. somebody else is selling the % presidente is down. people aren't drinking that less....there are more people of legal drinking age than there were 5 years ago, more young people = more drinking. people are drinking brahma. as a business gets older, presidente for example, its fixed costs rise. older building, equipment, long term employees get higher wages etc. a new guy can step in with all new and undercut prices,,,,i.e. brahma...........to an old man like me anything other than presidente is sacrilegious but young people have not the brand identity yet. presidente is going to punish us for not being loyal to their brand. this is not the time for presidente to be weak, this is a time for "beer wars".....................presidente must mount an all out campaign to bring back customers......time to shake up those at the top, they fell asleep at the switch.........cut out all the dead wood............get back in the game and not be crybabies.............

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I read somewhere tha Brahma is owned by Budwiser and their marketing plan is to undercut the other beers here and buy market share. Trying to build brand loyality. Sounds like it's working.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Quilmes is also making a move into the Dominican market, I was at one of their promotionals and its not that bad. Brahma came in fast and hard bringing Presidente competition and now it looks like its here to stay. I don't know if Miller is also making a strong push since its a preferred beer amongst the Dominican socialites and party goers.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
off topic.....I had Brahma here in Los EEUU last week and it taste better in the DR....I guess everything taste better in the DR :cheeky:

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
selling it's self.........

I read somewhere tha Brahma is owned by Budwiser and their marketing plan is to undercut the other beers here and buy market share. Trying to build brand loyality. Sounds like it's working.
lot of beer drinkers i know changed over even befor prices went up.
a lot of them especially canadians and europeans like the "fuller"flavour of the brahama.
yes it was allways that bit cheaper but with the majority i know that diden't come into it.
having drank presidente for so long i found it was nice to have a new flavour on the taste buds.
the presidente tasted a little watery after a few sessions on the brahma.
heineken in europe some 20 odd yrs ago hit the market(outside of holland)with a very aggresive and solid service back up,which made for a great pint of larger.
blew a lot of other lager companys out of the water who were "resting"on there laurels because of no real other competition.
same seems to be happening with brahma v presidente.
and imo you have to applaud them on the price they are selling it to the consumer.
VIVA LA BRAHMA!!!!!!!:squareeye :squareeye :squareeye