Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Now here is a kick in the butt!

The National Brewing Company (Cervecería Nacional Dominicana) makers of Presidente, Bohemia and Heinikens beers, has announced the end to its patronage of the Presidente Festival of Latin Music. The company said that the reason was the tremendous fall in beer sales due to the recent tax increases and the limitation on the hours of sales of alcoholic beverages. According to company spokespersons, sales are off 30% in the first quarter and the overall market has shrunk by 20% due to the government policies.

HB

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand how anyone in this rather poor country can afford to drink beer at the current prices.

The monopoly must be broken.

Miami Nice!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish View Post
    I don't understand how anyone in this rather poor country can afford to drink beer at the current prices.

The monopoly must be broken.
    YOU MUST be kidding!!! Dominicans would rather spend whatever little money they have on BEER than on milk for their kids!!!

This is outrageous though...the festival is one of the best ones in the world, (although not as highly visible as the Viña del Mar, or the Acapulco or the ones in Spain or Italy...)

It is a shame they would stop sponsoring it...'cause it won't be the same if someone else takes charge...

BUT...again...it might also just be a clever publicity stunt by the company in order to force the government to ease up on the restrictions...

Is this too far fetched, HB???

Mrs. MQ

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Musicqueen View Post
    ... BUT...again...it might also just be a clever publicity stunt by the company in order to force the government to ease up on the restrictions... ...
    The "restrictions" happen to be a 53 percent tax on beer.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mirador View Post
    The "restrictions" happen to be a 53 percent tax on beer.

wow someone in the government wants to buy himself a new jeepeta,

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Beer is so dear.

i have spokeen to and notice a lot of residents have cut back quite a bit on drinking in the bars too,not just the dominicans.
    bhrama at $50rd (big bottle)is the best deal you can find in colmados and supermarkets.
    lots of forigners doing a fair bit of their drinking at these places now,and still seem to be having fun.
    anybody know if the sale of rum has increased amongst foreigners and locals? even though i know this product has gone up in price too.
    old pal tom,R.I.P used to say to me,"beer is so dear,but liquor is quicker".
    now tht saying of his can be taken BOTH ways.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by manunut View Post
    i have spokeen to and notice a lot of residents have cut back quite a bit on drinking in the bars too,not just the dominicans.
    bhrama at $50rd (big bottle)is the best deal you can find in colmados and supermarkets.
    lots of forigners doing a fair bit of their drinking at these places now,and still seem to be having fun.
    anybody know if the sale of rum has increased amongst foreigners and locals? even though i know this product has gone up in price too.
    old pal tom,R.I.P used to say to me,"beer is so dear,but liquor is quicker".
    now tht saying of his can be taken BOTH ways.
    "In heaven there is no beer, that's why we drink it here"

IrishAbroad Pub Culture - Drinking Quotes

My favorite colmado sells 3 Brahma grandes for 120 pesos.

.............. ?
    Post Thanks / Like

On a relative basis Rum has gone up in price less then Beer. I have noticed more bottles of rum on tables then bottles of beer! Of course this is just my own little informal survey!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey I can afford beer but I recently stopped drinking because I'm tired of acting like an idiot in public.

I have noticed lately that when I buy my sales team a round at the car wash across the street after an especially productive shift they are very grateful.

Also, about a year ago one of my best employees left his job because a long lost uncle gave him a liquor store in Bella Vista as a gift. (He quit to run the store) He came back to work last week saying he needed a job because nobody can afford to drink anymore.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this is not the appropriate place, but since this thread is about the dramatic drop in beer sales, the following can explain part of the dramatic drop in beer and liquour sales. A few weeks ago I inquired about the going price for drugs in several towns in the DR southwest, and this is the information I got from informants. For typical retail portions....

marijuana : $30 pesos

crack : $60 pesos

cocaine : $100 pesos

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast