Metro or Caribe Tours?

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
me think's........

Which station in Santo Domingo is closer to the Colonial section?
IF, I remember correctly caribe tours leaves you closer,not by much.
but their fleet of bus's are newer and more comfey than the metro.
less chance like on 2 occasions i traveled metro the toilet and AC were not working.
and NO we did not get a discount.
one more tip:the cabs/taxis at the bus terminal tend to make up their prices depending on the client.
try get the tecni taxi nbr(cabs)where over the phone they quote you the fare from where you are to yer destination,if you want to save a few bucks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Taxi rides are about RD$120 for that little ride..Make sure you and he get the price down before you get into the cab.
I recently arrived at the Metro station and had to get down from 180, just over to Gascue... I just kept walking away....I eventually got my RD$120..

HB

Feb 7, 2007
I have read reviews saying Metro has better service than Caribe Tours.

I don't agree technical problems are central to Metro only.

The last ride I undertook on Caribe Tours from Samana to Santo Domingo the bus was in quite bad technical conditions. The rear shock absorbers did not work and we were really on a bumpy ride. I almost got my head hitting the overhead bins a few times. We were travelling with the kids and when I complained to the driver I just got in response his ignorance and he showed quite some attitude.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think that i will try and take some rides this summer, if I can find the time.
Quite frankly, I have never ridden on Caribe Tours. I know a lot of my Judo kids take Espinal to Santo Domingo--it is the cheapest, and will let them off at the Olympic Center--and I have heard anecdotal tales of how Espinal never gets past Bonao without breaking down...but those are reports...

I have had, in the distant past, some horrific rides on Metro, especially when the Duarte Highway was undergoing repairs...one time we were sent to Santiago in an urban service bus, with hard seats...an no a/c of course...But that is all in the past--at least for the Santiago-Santo Domingo run....those new buses are equipped with automatic transmissions and very good A/C...

HB

Feb 7, 2007
I have seen that Espinal has nice new busses. Never been on board but from outside those busses looked better than Caribe Tour's buses. Nicely and freshly painted, and the busses look new (by design).

As for Metro, I have never ridden them either, but I have read MANY reviews on this board saying Metro was better than CT. I have seen Metro busses (again from outside), all seem to be nice, modern Busscar or Marcopolo brands, with tinted windows and AC and now they have quite a few Comils (the brand Sichoprola is putting on SDQ-Higuey route).