The Dominican Postal Service.

Jackson

Sep 12, 2004
How long should a letter take to reach the D.R. from North America? I mailed a letter over a month ago, and it has still not been delivered? Is the D.R. Postal Service really that bad? I don't think I should have to spend $80.00 just to send a letter by Fed Ex!

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
The Dominican what???

Your letter might still make it. It's only been a month........

I receive mail from my company in Denmark on a(n ir)regular basis. I know what they send so I also know what I don't get.
Some letters don't make it, maybe 10-15%. Especially if the envelope looks like it contains something of value.
The rest are delivered within 3 weeks - 4 months from the day of posting in Denmark.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Bok:

Actually "The Dominican Postal Service" is grammatically correct.

Perhaps one of our resident DR1 grammar ANALysts will pipe in when they are done with their ribs!

tambo'

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It Costs About $25.00 To Send a "Letter" By FEDEX!

But it WILL get here!
There was a vacant lot on "Camino Chiquito" in Sto Dgo. where the mail carriers,and utility bill delivery men used a 55 gallon drum to burn their "Mail"! Beats having to work for a living!!
Not far from where the water bottle trucks use a hose from the public water supply to fill the bottles!
"What A Country"!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Your letter might still make it. It's only been a month........

I receive mail from my company in Denmark on a(n ir)regular basis. I know what they send so I also know what I don't get.
Some letters don't make it, maybe 10-15%. Especially if the envelope looks like it contains something of value.
The rest are delivered within 3 weeks - 4 months from the day of posting in Denmark.

So I guess I should finally give up on expecting the pictures I sent here about 10 years ago to arrive.

I did see a mailman on a motorbike about a month ago. He was deliverying a letter to the neighbor from the U.S. Counselor's office in Santo Dominigo. It was special delivery and had to be signed for by the neighbor. That's the only reason he came here.

The phone company, banks, electric company, etc DO NOT use the mail service here.
Each one of them have their own people to deliver their bills. That should give you a clue as to how much the Dominican businesses trust the mail service.

Don SantiagoDR

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
All is truly not lost. I actually received a Xmas card about a month ago that was mailed in November 2006. So it only took 4 months.

Bob K

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I used to use INPOSDOM to receive mail. The letter carrier was dependable so maybe 90% of the mail got through. Some mail arrived weeks or months after being mailed, probably through inefficiencies in other parts of the sytem.

All of a sudden the mail stopped. I spoke to the letter carriers office at the main post office in Santo Domingo.

There was a new letter carrier on the route. The competent one had moved on.

I switched to Business Mail private mail and cargo service and haven't looked back.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Wish I had known this a month ago. My wife and I, hungry for pictures of the grandkids (son doesn't own/want a computer). Last month we gave the post office 1,250 peso's for a P O Box and a key. The key has not been made or found as of this writing so I asked for our money bank. They said its in the bank and they can't get it. This is in Puerto Plata. I too have used UPS/Fed Ex etc and it seems to work every time.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Wish I had known this a month ago. My wife and I, hungry for pictures of the grandkids (son doesn't own/want a computer). Last month we gave the post office 1,250 peso's for a P O Box and a key. The key has not been made or found as of this writing so I asked for our money bank. They said its in the bank and they can't get it. This is in Puerto Plata. I too have used UPS/Fed Ex etc and it seems to work every time.

I'd suggest using one of the private mail services such as Business Mail or EPS.

With Business Mail I pay 20 pesos to receive a letter from the US and 50 pesos to send a letter to the US. They gave me a Miami mailing address.

Their address in Puerto Plata is:
Plaza Turisol, local # 33
Primer M?dulo,
Carretera Luperon KM. 2, Puerto Plata, R.D.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Mail Box in POP

I actually saw a mail box in POP once. It was bolted to the exterior side of a building near Nelson's. We had the same boxes here in the States when I was a kid. It was perhaps 18 inches long and six inches deep and made of some kind of heavy metal. Given the state of the mail in DR I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

tlc32875

Apr 3, 2006
last year i sent a postcard to my son while i was there and he got it like 3 months after i got back....was kinda funny .....i also sent a letter fed ex from connecticut to puerto plata and it took about a month to arrive
tracy

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
El "mejor" servicio......

Let me explain to you, in a few words, the Dominican Postal Service:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!.

That should be their new logo!.

It's nothing more than a joke!.

My cousin is still waiting for a letter I sent her 15 YEARS AGO!!!.

Even the "PONY EXPRESS" was faster, AND BETTER!!.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The key has not been made or found as of this writing so I asked for our money bank. They said its in the bank and they can't get it.

They can "Check In" your money,
........................ but it can never leave!

engels64

Feb 27, 2007
Defenitely use FedEx and/or UPS

A letter pack from FedEX with approximately 30 sheets (They should probably put "only 20 sheets" for Dominicans usage:D , we will put more that what is says. They actually do weight each package) for about $21.95.

Denmay565

Dec 6, 2005
Dominican Postal Service

I sent a small package to my lawyer via FedEx and it cost $27US and took nearly 10 days to arrive. The next time I mailed a similiar sized package to the same lawyer and sent it Global Priority Mail at a US Post Office and it cost $6.75US and it arrived within a week. In other words, it's anyone's guess with the mail system there. Judging from some of the responses, I'm fortunate that both packages actually arrived.