Driving time and Miles

lucine

Mar 21, 2007
;) Not sure if I'm in right forum. Just read about that great U.S. aireline 3000.
They offer nonstops from my city to Punta Cana Air port. yepeh!! may I ask how long of a drive, how many miles of a drive and how senic is the drive between Punta Cana and North Coast? Is there a coastal highway or path?
thank you for your contibutions. Appreciate Your help. Oh just one more thing, Anyone know anything about the Natural Cabana hotel? It looks like heaven on earth.

Caz

May 15, 2004
Natura Cabanas

Lucine - if you are talking about the Natura Cabanas on the north coast between Sosua and Cabarete, don't fly to Punta Cana - you need Puerto Plata. Punta Cana is about as far away as you can be from Sosua and a long, long drive. Never done it myself but it must be 7+ hours - The experts can tell you exactly how long it will take you.

lucine

Mar 21, 2007
thankyou Caz,

I was considering spending a week in Punta Cana, and a week on North coast.
I plan on moving to the DR and wanted to evaluate both north and south east coasts., before I move. thanks in advance. others please respond to this thread
Lucine

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Besides the fact that they are day and night.....the drive, if you leave, say, at 6 in the morning on a Sunday, you can get to Santiago in about 4.5 hours and another 1.5 hours to Sosua. IF you know the roads and IF you do not stop for more than sanitary necessities and IF you pay attention to where you are going, and IF you know the roads....Other wise you are looking at close to 8 hours...give or take a few click of the clock.

Good Luck.

HB

lucine

Mar 21, 2007
I don't want to drive that haul myself. I was hoping to hire a taxi, or catch a tourbus. the length of the trip shouldn't be a problem. I'm anxious to see the country. thankyou for responding. by the way what is Natura Cabanas like?

lucine

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here are instructions on how to get to the North Coast via autobus. The buses are very, very good. The A/c is for, like, freezing meats, so take a light sweater.

Read on:

Direction for buses from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo

This express departs every day from the Sitrabapu Terminal that is beside the New Politur Police Station in B?varo (Punta Cana), near the Friusa crossroads. The coach departs at 7:00 - 10:00 am and 2:00 - 4:00 pm daily. The one-way fare is RD$ 230. The ticket office to the left of the building behind the banca. Tickets are sold on a first come - first serve basis. Plan to arrive at the ticket office ?-? hour before departure to secure best chance of a seat. It is about a 3.5 - 4.0 hour trip from B?varo to Santo Domingo. The coach trip is comfortable and just as reasonably safe as in a taxi but cheaper.

There are two main stops in Santo Domingo - Parque Enriquillo in the middle of the downtown commercial district (advise not to arrive after dark ) and at the terminal at the corner of Juan S?nchez Ramirez and Ave. M?ximo G?mez near the Nacional Supermercado and just a short distance from the National Theater and the American Consulate

Note: People who desire to go to Las Americas airport from B?varo may request the bus driver to stop at the crossroads to the airport. There is a nearby taxi stand where you can obtain the 1-2 km ride to the terminal.

This was posted by PJU on 2 November ?05

HB

Feb 7, 2007
From PUJ by bus - it will be 4 to 4.5 hours from PUJ to SDQ. You can get off at Parque Enriquillo.

The taxi drivers that are there where the bus stops to finish its route (corner Jose Marti and Ravelo) are reliable. Ask to be taken to Caribe Tours or Metro bus terminal. Caribe Tours is nearer (about 5 minute ride, through Avenida 27 de Febrero). Never pay more than 140 pesos for this trip. Going to Metro entails your taking a cab to Churcill with 27 de Febrero. The ride should be in 150 - 170 pesos range. (these taxis are a little bit more expensive than a called-in radiotaxi, such as Aerotaxi, Apolotaxi, etc.)

The trip on Caribe Tours and Metro from SDQ to Sosua would be another 4.5 to 5 hours.

With layover in SDQ you are looking at 10-hour trip minimum.

Leave early to arrive at a reasonable hour to Sosua.

abnor

Nov 7, 2006
car, bus, bus,taxi, bus, taxi

Is how I went to from Punta Cana to Cofresi a few years ago. It was a bit of an adventure and took all day but I had nothing but time on my hands. I had my friend's 12 year old spanish speaking daughter with me which was helpful. I flew back to catch my flight home. If you are up for the adventure why not?

lucine

Mar 21, 2007
Thanks, you see the airfair to Punta cana is cheap and non stop!!! But If I arrive at 12:00pm, I'll be in Sosua about 10:00pm. and I will eat up 2 whole days of my job and housing hunting agenda.come and going from the Punta Cana airport. I like you attitude though. Maybe when I get my one way ticket, I'll give it a try. thank you Abnor!

Lucine