Furnishing a house

Tracypee

Oct 23, 2006
Hi, I am new to this site and would really appreciate some help. We have just bought a house in Sosua and now need to furnish it. We will be renting it out so lookng for something nice and simple like wicker or rattan furniture. Does anyone know where I can get this ready made? From what I read earlier Santiago seems the place to go to get more for your money but will they deliver to Sosua?
We are also looking for a fridge, cooker, TV etc, can anyone recommend somewhere?
Also can someone please advise of the best route to Santiago, I heard that the moutain road is better because there are no lorries is this correct? Is it hard to find.
thanks in advance

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Most "Wicker/Rattan" Furniture Produced in the DR Is Of VERY Poor Quality!

It "MAY" be cheaper to buy than "CAOBA" furniture,but in the long run may actually be more costly. "Wicker" will soon look like "Hell" and you will have to replace it. "Caoba" is wood,looks good,and is easy to maintain,or refinish as needed! ALL furniture costs a lot in the DR,even the "Yellow "PINO" furniture used in the homes of the "Poorer" people.
They have a "saying" here;'Lo barato sale caro"! Which basically means; "The cheap ends up expensive"!
In Boston,we say; "Cheap IS Cheap"!..or..."You Get What You Pay For"!
Cris Colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
There are many recommendations on the board for buying furniture. Tracy, go to the search button and search for rattan furniture, caoba furniture, wood furniture and you'll have more information that what you can handle.

Three roads to Santiago, the tunnel road, the scenic road and the road through Moca.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
With this weather and the state of the roads your best bet is probably the tunnel road. Head towards Puerto Plata on the main road and just keep going........... watch for the construction holes though....;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Okay, let's look at this like rational people.
You will have to lay out a budget, #1.
If you like lite and airy furniture, you will probably like rattan. You have tow good choices to go with, both of which have been widely approved by this board and both of whom I have personally purchased, satisfactorily, from in the past.
One is in Navarrete, and is onthe left hand side of the road after you pass the entrance to the Linda factory. Ask for Tito Bueno. It is called Mimbre y Rattan Navarrete.
The other is located in Santiago, on Rafael Vidal Avenue. You take Avenida Juan Pablo Duarte (the second light after you pass the Hotel Gran Almirante) LEFT (Don't use the flyway!!).
You will come to one light at the International Mall, and another group of lights by the Mormon Church. The next light is after the ESSO gasoline station. Turn right. Look on your left hand side for Rattan...The owner/administrator is Ping Han Sang. Tall Chinese with gray hair.

IF you want to go antiques, or mahogany, then we gotta talk....

HB

Tracypee

Oct 23, 2006
Thanks for your advice everyone, really useful. Do these places have furniture ready to go rather than waiting for it to be made, especially the ratten style? We live in England and want to get as much done as possible in our week. Does anyone have suggestions on electrical goods?
thanks again

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
We too have recently moved here to our own condo, and have had to replace much as it was a rental unit for years. We went to Santiago for Fridge, TV, stereo... to a place called Plaza Llama, excuse my spelling please, and my speking is worse... but we could have gotten all electrical appliances there and they deliver once a week to Sosua I believe it was a Thursday.
We puchased some furniture from a local rattan and are so far pleased.... who knows you make decisions and hope they are correct... as a newbie I hesitate to offer much imput but these are the things I have done since arriving in March.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you are referring to household appliances: stoves, refrigerators, and so forth, you can do pretty good at PriceSmart in Santiago or in Plaza Lama or Ochoa Hogar.
For a/c units there are tons of options...

For Gensets and installation, send me a PM...
For inverters, talk to AZB, who has a 'friend'

For anything else, just ask the board...

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
PriceSmart is a buyers club on Avenida Estrella Sadhal?, past the PUCMM back gate, left hand side of the road.
A small fee allows you to purchase there...You can save the fee in one purchase.
Our office has most of the employees on a company deal....a "fringe benefit"

We do our monthly shopping there. You know, we get the ol' pickup off the blocks, kick the hound out of the front seat, put the kids in back and rumble over there to buy these huge quantities of stuff....Thing is, we do save money on laundry detergent, fabric softener, sugar, staples like catchup, tomato paste, beans, bacon, olive oil, vinegar, Cokes, hotdogs, onions, lemons, garlic, bathroom items etcetc. They have some clothes, bedroom stuff, appliances, gym equipment, camping stuff...just about what you'd find in a Sam's or Costco..

HB