A Kinder, Gentler Forum ... for Newbies

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
OK, in an attempt to make this a Kinder, Gentler place for newbies (or those darn noobs with dumb questions ;) ), lets do a list of how newbies can integrate easily ...

I'll start ...

1. Never, ever call the country "the Dominican" - a whole lot of people are going to jump on you. Call it "the Dominican Republic", "the DR" or "La Rep?blica Dominicana."

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
2. Never, ever ask "Does anyone know Eddie Murphy from Playa Grande?" or whatever your sankie goes by.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Try and do at least a basic search before asking your question.

Also, correct spellings for some Dominican Republic place names, courtesy of the grammar police:
Sosua (not Sousa)
Puerto Plata (not Puerta Plata)
Santo Domingo (not Santa Domingo)
Cabarete (not Caberete, Cabarette or other variations).
Samana (not Semana)
Juan Dolio (not Jaun Dolio)

There are more...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Try and do at least a basic search before asking your question.

Also, correct spellings for some Dominican Republic place names, courtesy of the grammar police:
Sosua (not Sousa)
Puerto Plata (not Puerta Plata)
Santo Domingo (not Santa Domingo)
Cabarete (not Caberete, Cabarette or other variations).
Samana (not Semana)
Juan Dolio (not Jaun Dolio)

There are more...

Jarabacoa (not Jarabaco)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Nunca, jamas....

6- NEVER, EEEEEEVER say that:

"I meet XX in a Resort, all his co-workers are Sankies but he is DIFFERENT".

If you say that, MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOUL!!!!.

Hey Christa:

GREAT, GREAT THREAD. Finally, something interesting!!.

Christa For Presidente of the "Dominican", wahahahahahahahaha!!.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If you asked

for information and a lot of people spend time and energy on the responses at least acknowledge that you read the posts. If you are a REALLY big person maybe you'll thank those who helped you.
john

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Some of the most basic questions have been answered a gazzillion times on this site through the years. Use the search feature and you might find the answer to your question.

AFTER your search, if you have no answer to your question, then ask on the forums.

-NALs

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
When you don't agree with the answer you have been given, even though you obviously didn't know or you wouldn't of asked - NEVER, ever argue with someone who does know. This is similar to burning one's bridges, because when you do really need help (and most of you will), no one will take you seriously. We are a bunch of elephants on this site!

Marlie

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If you're

not happy with the answers you are getting don't use the board as your platform for:
1) an agenda you had in mind
2) a place to critisize the responder
3) don't say (after a one hour time lapse) "well I guess nobody has anything to say"
4)if you feel the answer to you question is not "rocket science" then why did you ask it the first place"
john

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Don't try to get

"free" advertising thru spam. We all can see you and your puppet friend are posting for the first time. The one exception of course is La Casa Rosada my favorite worthwhile charity.More details on their web site.

Thanks moderator for allowing the plug. You will be repaid at St. Peter's gate.
john

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Tambien.....

If you, newbie, come here wanting to make us believe that you know EVERYTHING about the Dominican Republic, even though you have only visited 1-3 times, make sure you wear your seat belt VERY tight because a "bumpy" ride WILL come your way!.

Seeing the DR through the eyes of someone you meet a few weeks ago, doesn't mean you know EVERYTHING about the DR and it's people.

There's space for only 1 know-it-all here, and that's AZB, wahahahahaha!!!.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Don't ask the same question in more than one forum.
Most of us read all the forums and the mods will put your question in an appropriate forum if you choose the wrong one.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
If you ask "Where can I find Girls" in one thread, don't place your resume on the board in another thread. You've already lost all credibility. Remember, your posts on the forum are open for the world to see.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Go easy on the quote button.

Read all the posts in the thread before adding your RD$2. Someone might have got there before you with the answer.

And... what everyone else said. :)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If you don't know what your IQ is, please get it tested. If you don't know what IQ means please don't ask. And if your result falls below about 110 please count up to that number before posting anything at all because it will show. :)

If on the other hand your result is above that number but English doesn't happen to be your first language please have a go at posting. Just say 'I'm a 135 IQ Urdu speaking Croat' and everyone will fall over backwards to be helpful. Seriously. You can copy/paste it if you like. :)

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Read tons of posts before you attempt to post yourself. There is a ton of very good information from some extremely kind helpful people.
Try to get a feel for the personalities of the regular posters and then you will not tend to take some of the answers as a personal attack. Some of the personalities have a strange sarcastic sense of humor.
We could help new members by refraining from know it all, smart ass answers until the newbies get a little more comfortable with the regulars.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Lets do a list as well for how "experts" can react:

Chill, relax, wind down! Thats why we came here in the first place.
Stop freaking out if somebody says the "Dominican" or "Sosoa".

Werner

Caberette , Dominican ;)
As a paid-up member of the self-confessed-uptight-spelling-grammar-mafia, I would like to - respectfully of course - challenge your assertion.

As I just wrote to someone in a PM - I think it is justifiable to be put off by new posters who don't seem to have bothered to learn the name(s) of the place(s) they're planning to visit. (I don't mean "the Dominican" - because that's accepted - though disputed - usage in some circles).

I mean the newbies who turn up and ask questions about "Puerta Plata", "Sousa" and "Santa Domingo". If I were about to visit a new country I like to think I'd make sure I spelled the place names right before addressing a written query to people in the know - out of respect to them if nothing else. Ditto for posters who post in "txt msg" style and/or have clearly not taken care to phrase their questions sensibly. I really don't think that's unreasonable.

If this post contains any spelling/grammar errors, go on, set the dogs on me.:bunny:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Please please please stop using the Quote button ad nauseum! You do not need to quote these huge long passages just to say - I agree. You can quote a small portion of a previous post too, not necessarily the whole thing.

Do not ask for advice then argue with those who respond.

Just because you visit every year for a bunch of years - does not mean you know much of anything. It means you know a bit but not a lot. Living here is very different then visiting.

And things change quite quickly sometimes, don't assume what was correct last year is still correct this year.

When a question is posted about this country - do not respond and tell us - well in XXX we do it this way. Who cares.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ask one question per post. Don't say, "I want to move to the DR, what is the cost of living and where should I move to and what is the best bar and how do I get the best exchange rate and how do I bring my money!",
all in one sentence.
Take time to study the board and ask your questions appropriately.