The news Today

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I keep wondering whether this is good or bad news LOL. The incentives sure are nice. But I keep wondering who needs to be paid what, before one is allowed into the plan. Does anyone know?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]1. Renewable energy bill to be law
The Senate has finally passed the bill that provides the legal framework of incentives for investments in renewable energy into law. The Senate approved the energy committee's recommendations as presented by Senator Juan Mercedes Sena. The law is aimed at promoting investment in the renewable energy sector, and allows citizens to take part in projects that reduce the impact of fossil fuel energy generation. Incentives include total tax exoneration for imports, ITBIS, and exchange commission on equipment, machinery and accessories needed to produce renewable energy, as well as a ten-year income tax exemption on income derived from the sale of energy, hot water, steam, bio-fuels, or synthetic fuels. This is valid for companies and individuals importing renewable energy equipment. The bill, that had already passed in the Chamber of Deputies after about seven years of debates, now moves on to the President for signing.
[/FONT]

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Oh, the irony!

So getting rid of excessive import duties and taxation are good for development of the renewable energy sector (which I heartily endorse)?

So what would happen if the excessive import duties and taxation for ALL the different business sectors? Maybe an explosion of economic growth? Also, which I heartily endorse...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I think it was HB (pls correct me if I'm wrong) who said it took a long time to get through because there was so much resistance from powerful interests.

So maybe they've already been paid?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
When you consider that there are good wind sites to produce over 200 megawatts of power already identified, and more under feasibility study.
When you consider that there is still plenty of water to be dammed up.
When you consider the amount of acreage available for bio-fuels.
When you consider the possibilities of solar power is this tropical paradise.
When you consider the possibilities of dry forest farming for charcoal (yes you can!)
When you think about the millions being made by the oil companies, well, yes, you could say that seven years was probably their fault....wouldn't you day??

HB

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
LOL, ah we're all such a bunch of cynics!

(Actually probably realists)

My concern is whether these incentives will actually go to solar and wind, rather than pay the big agricultural and rum interests to switch production to biofuels... or pay for WTE projects that otherwise would not be viable.

I'm trying to get ahold of the final text to analyze it for the Green Team blog. Anyone have a copy?

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
If this is true

This is the best news I have heard for the DR in years, short of any other ?pork barrel? politics these clowns can come up with.

If this turns out to be true, are there any other ?green? minded people in the DR that would be willing to co-op a shipment of solar panels from the US?

I would put up money for 2000 watts and more if the numbers are high enough for discounts.

Any one else? Strength in number.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Perhaps we should wait for the President to sign it first, and then for Keith to analyze the Legislation as well.

Somehow (and I may be stuck in my old ways), I cannot imagine getting to aduana with a load of solar panels and them smiling, signing the paperwork and waving me through without me having to write a check. :ermm:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Well, Chris, I think we all know that what the law says and what actually happens in aduana are two distinct things, no matter what the goods in question are...

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Thanks, but that's the original proyecto text, which I already had. As I said in my prior post, I want to see the final text, which may have changes/surprises.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Thanks, but that's the original proyecto text, which I already had. As I said in my prior post, I want to see the final text, which may have changes/surprises.
Deith R.:

There are probably umpteen pages of "fine print" that negates what the law says in the body.
Even exceptions to exceptions.
That's the "Dominican Way"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Texas Bill

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
May, 7
SANTO DOMINGO.- The passing of the Renewable Energy Law has activated several wind energy projects, from the Dominican Republic?s great potential in that area, said Punta Cana-Macao Power Partnership PR Marta Fernandez.
She said at the start of next year the Bayah?be Electricity Company will begin to produce energy from a 9 megawatt pilot project in the East region and with another from 100 to 150 megawatts in Barahona southwest). She said there are 5 wind generators in Punta Caucedo, near the capital.
Interviewed by the newspaper Hoy, Fernandez said Punta Cana and Bayah?be have no blackouts and that her firm collaborates with the community with free energy for public schools, hospitals, churches, the Tourism Police (Politur), the Navy and street lights.
She said the country has a great potential for wind energy in several regions, including Puerto Plata, Barahona, the South, and the East.
She said other international companies with projects to produce wind energy were only waiting for the Renewable Energy Law?s approval to invest. She said they some require financing from international organisms, such as the World Bank?s IFC.
Fernandez said the new Renewable Energy Law meets investors? expectations to produce wind energy. She said the group to whom they belong Eje-Haina, Tesem and Setem saw the possibility uniting efforts so that there is greater a repercussion in the work at environmental level.

Bienvenidos al Hoy Digital

http://www.dr1.com/forums/environment/58869-wind-power.html