Any alternatives to 'Newbie'?

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
Am I the only person who absolutely detests the word 'Newbie' in relation to new posters on the board? I've tried to think of alternatives, but I couldn't think of anything that was as short and descriptive without completely making up a whole new word.

Also, there's nothing inbetween 'Newbie' and 'Old Timer'. I was reading these forums for about a year, have been a member for another year and have nearly 100 posts to my name so far. So what does that make me? An Old Newbie? It all reminds me a bit of 'Brave New World' with the 'Newbies' being on a par with the 'Epsilons'.....;)

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
I don't find 'newbie' offensive. Everyone except the founding fathers go through that period. Also, I don't think you 'become' a 'newbie' until after you make your first post, no matter when you joined. Those who join but don't post are 'lurkers', which sounds more sinister than 'newbie' ever could!

Personally, I was a 'lurker' for over a year before I posted. I was active on Debbie's DR board, which is altogether 'fluffier' and more gentle compared to the rough and tumble of DR1... It was like being 10 again, plucking up the courage to ask the big kids if I could join in with their game of football...

I still consider myself a 'newbie' as it's only six months since I began posting, despite 180+ posts.

So be loud & proud, newbies stand up!!!

but be prepared to sit down quickly if one of the grown-ups tell you off!:cheeky:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
So when and who decides when a member is no longer a newbie?
Group acceptance. Some stay noobs forever to some members of the group.

A lot has to do with the impression you give folks when you meet them IRL.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Medio tiempo....

Am I the only person who absolutely detests the word 'Newbie' in relation to new posters on the board? I've tried to think of alternatives, but I couldn't think of anything that was as short and descriptive without completely making up a whole new word.

Also, there's nothing inbetween 'Newbie' and 'Old Timer'. I was reading these forums for about a year, have been a member for another year and have nearly 100 posts to my name so far. So what does that make me? An Old Newbie? It all reminds me a bit of 'Brave New World' with the 'Newbies' being on a par with the 'Epsilons'.....;)
A "newbie" is a "new poster", what's there to understand?.

One CAN'T be an "Old Member" with 2 posts!.

Now, you, on the other hand, are what I call a "Part-Time Member" (and there are a WHOLE BUNCH here).

A "Part-Time Member" is someone who logs-in, post something, dissapears for a while, comes and post again and disappears again.......

To me (NOTE: TO ME), even if a member registered in 1920 and only has 100 posts, that member is not only a newbie, but also a "Part-Time Member". of the worse kind, I may add!.

Perhaps the "Newbie" "tag" should be changed to:

"The Soon To Be No Lifers" or the "The Future No Lifers", wahahahahahaha!!.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
In my opinion the word 'newbie' is a state of mind and has no significance in relation to this board. In many ways I still consider myself as a 'newbie' and will do so until such a time as I become as knowledgeable as people like Robert, Anna, Chris, Rocky and others of such caliber. All of which means I'll always be a 'newbie' I guess!:ermm:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I'm with you Rick! Because I understand somewhat how the board functions, does not mean much. I wish I knew how the Dominican Republic functions :ermm:Now that will be something to tell about!

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
"I wish I knew how the Dominican Republic functions" ;) ;) ;)

Isn't that why we are here??????????????????????:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

To learn???????

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Y que es esto....

In my opinion the word 'newbie' is a state of mind and has no significance in relation to this board. In many ways I still consider myself as a 'newbie' and will do so until such a time as I become as knowledgeable as people like Robert, Anna, Chris, Rocky and others of such caliber. All of which means I'll always be a 'newbie' I guess!:ermm:
You seem to be a smart person, therefore you should know what the term "Newbie" means.

You may want to give it your own interpretation but the end result WILL be the same, "A New Poster/Member".

Turn it, twist it, bang it agains the wall, turn it upside down, frame it on the wall, make love to it, make it your imaginary friend, make it bring you a Presidente, the end result will ALWAYS be the same, "A New Poster/Member". At least, I think so.

Now, go wipe that "brown" thing off your nose, hahahahahaha. Just kidding, of course.

I think the way it's here, with the "Newbie", "Gold", it's just fine.

CAN'T please EVERYBODY, ALL the time.

Last edited:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Miguel, Miguel, your response to me makes or should make everything I said self explanatory. "Turn it, twist it, bang it agains the wall, make love to it, make it your imaginary friend, the end result will ALWAYS be the same, "A New Poster/Member". At least, I think so."

Huuuuuuuuummmmm,,,, I think so.... Is that anything like my opinion?????

"Originally Posted by Rick Snyder
In my opinion the word 'newbie' is a state of mind"

Just thought I'd ask..................

Rick

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Dejame explicartelo mas.....

Miguel, Miguel, your response to me makes or should make everything I said self explanatory. "Turn it, twist it, bang it agains the wall, make love to it, make it your imaginary friend, the end result will ALWAYS be the same, "A New Poster/Member". At least, I think so."

Huuuuuuuuummmmm,,,, I think so.... Is that anything like my opinion?????

"Originally Posted by Rick Snyder
In my opinion the word 'newbie' is a state of mind"

Just thought I'd ask..................

Rick
Ricky, Ricky, Ricky. Common sense tells you what it means even if you or I, of anybody else for that matter, wants to "make up" our own definition.

Yes, it's your opinion and it's your right. But you know what they say:

"Opinions are like...." well, you know the rest. Well, unless you have 2. I know I DO, ooooouch!!. Hahahaha!.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Miguel, I know that you mean well but in your attempt to clearly understand that which I am trying to convey the problem is compounded by the fact that you really don't know what I?m trying to convey due to the fact that I don?t know what it is that I am trying to convey in that which I stated. Suffice it to say that we both seem to be lost in outer space in the concept of that which we think we believe or that which we think each other believe.