Pricing

thedeepsouth

Apr 26, 2007
Can anyone help me? I am traveling to Punta Cana for the first time, with my wife, in late June. We are staying at the Riu Palace for a week. How much should I expect to pay for different things in the area? I guess, what I am asking is...how much would I expect to pay for a loaf of bread? A bottle of rum? I use xe.com for exchange rates, so thats not a problem. Please help, I need to know how much money to bring with me. Thank You.

:chinese:

raqu15

Apr 26, 2007
Well it depends on what your buying and the length of your stay??? If it's an all inclusive hotel then bring enough for tips and souveniers. Also don't forget to bring Tums or Pepto just in case. Medicine tends to be very very pricey at the hotels.

If i were traveling to DR and staying for a week i would take at least $500 USD cash with me....just in case you need it for anything...then credit card it after that.

Feb 7, 2007
What Riu Palace are you staying at? There are two Riu Palace hotels within the Riu complex in Bavaro/Punta Cana:

- Riu Palace Macao
- Riu Palace Punta Cana

If you can choose, choose Palace Punta Cana.

The hotel is newer, has all-junior-suites (as opposed to Macao's standard rooms), has free Internet access in the sports bar (wi-fi), servcies are good and decor is VERY nice, both lobby, restaurants and rooms. Fee in-room safe.

About the cash - Riu is all-inclusive hotel, so you won't need to buy food or drinks. You will have included all drinks and food, as well as tips. Additional tipping is upon your discretion.

US$500 should be enough for a week for a couple, if you want to go outside of resort that should be sufficient as well. Always ask for pesos prices and pay at the exchange rate at 32, but most likely paying in dollars will get you "stuck" with the exchange rate at 30. Always ask for Pesos prices, do not ask for prices in dollars. Ask for pesos and convert. Also, you may want to change enough dollars for pesos if you go outside, there are lots of exchnage places in Bavaro, so you can chnage small increments (say 20 or 30 dollars at a time).

Sorry if this is a thread hijacking - but since this is your first time in PUJ, here is some advice you might find useful:

If you want to buy something, use a credit card, to save your cash. If you pay cash, ask for a discount. Many times you can get up to 10% discount for paying cash. Do not take prices at face value, put an offer 30% below quoted price. At the end, you will most likely end up paying 10 or 15% less than the quoted price. Ask around, when shopping, and shop around. Do not accept the first offer, first article, first price.

For moving around Bavaro, use Motoconchos (motorbike taxis) as they are cheaper. The shortest cab ride would cost you 6 to 10 dollars. Same motorbike taxi ride would cost you about a dollar. For example - Plaza Bavaro to Riu would cost you 10 dollars in a taxi. Same motorbike ride would cost you 50 pesos or 2 dollars. Motorbikes can be distinguished by their yellow vests.

If you want to buy something (clothes, souvenirs, perfumes, anything etc.), you will overpay buying in Bavaro. If you have time, hop on a bus to Higuey, a city 45 kms away, (3 dollars each way) from Bavaro bus terminal, and after 45 minutes ride you can shop in Iberia in Higuey, a shopping center (Target-level style).

You can also visit Palma Real Shopping center, next to Melia Caribe hotel, about 15 minutes ride from Riu, a newly opened shopping center (mall) in bavaro, and the biggest in the area. Stores include some well known brand names for clothes and accessories, banks, and a food court.