Dengue fever

peso100

Feb 20, 2006
I always thought that catching dengue was like winning in the lottery (not being that lucky but a small chance it would happen)

But, voil?, the other day I had it and am still under treatment =check.
Obviously a mild form, 36 hours of bad headache without cure (the acetaminafen/ paracetamol pills did not really work), very sensitive skin that now has started ti itch very bad.

Got me really thinking, how will I protect my baby granddaughter when she will come to visit me?

I hate mosquito nets. I love Baygon but hate to smell it. Mosquito spirals are ok but not so effective, I think

G

gary short

Learn to love mosquito nets.......not taking precautions is foolish as you've already learned......oops sorry you haven't learned..

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Hi Peso,

I really don't know what to tell you other then each room of my house has a fan going 24/7 and I have screens up on all windows and a screen door front and back. If a mosquito should get past the screens then the fans make it very difficult to fly around freely.

I have no idea as to why you don't like mosquito netting but for a child I would highly recommend it while sleeping.

For outside I've always used 'OFF' bug spray on my son over the years which has worked to date for the majority of the insects.

Rick

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
2LeftFeet, it doesn't really matter. Mosquitos don't respect boundaries.

Way back when I first joined this board in 1998, someone inquired about dengue and the initial reply they received was don't sweat, those mosquitos can only be found near the border with Haiti. I had to to post correcting those replies, telling how my wife had gotten it while we lived in SD and how the Health Ministry was finding cases around the country, but it just wasn't getting much press.

Check the PAHO, WHO and CDC websites and you'll find that dengue case reports have risen dramatically this year throughout Latin America and the Caribbean. More worrisome is that they are being found in areas previously unaffected (such as Uruguay) and the reports of the very dangerous hemorraghic type are also rising.

My understanding is that the type being reported currently in the DR is only the traditional type. It hurts bad -- bad, continuous headaches, low-grade fever and severe joint aches (hence its nickname "breakbone fever") for a number of days, then goes away. Unfortunately most anti-inflammatories (aspiring, Tylenol, Advil, etc) really don't help. You have to wait it out.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Torodol is the pain reliever that works!! The only one that works and I'm surprised the Doctor didn't order it. Lucky for me when I contracted the severe/hemhoragic form of dengue I was already taking Torodol for another condition. My doc said it was probably what 'saved' me.
SD is the 'easiest' place to contract dengue and is where mine originated.
Mosquito nets and OFF Skintastic are the best precautions for children AFTER you've installed screens on all windows and doors and make sure the ceiling fans are ALWAYS on!

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Hi Keith R

I know those wayward mosquitos!!. I was just wondering because I think I contracted Dengue from the DR in January. We're not sure. I was also in SD. That's why I asked.

The funny thing was I remember getting bitten and saying to myself--Oh God, I hope this mosquito doesn't have Dengue....... and I forgot all about it

Until...... the headaches, and joint pain......

peso100

Feb 20, 2006
I dont know if I was bitten in Santo Domingo or Samana. Spend 6 days out of 10 in Samana.

My doctor told me what most of the websites about Dengue tell: the mosquito Aedes aegypti is active daytime only.