Sponsoring a spouse to Canada

barriodelsur

Apr 27, 2007
Is it easier to bring a spouse, Dominican citizen, married in the DR, to Canada than to try and get them to Canada to get married? Does it make a difference?

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Is it easier to bring a spouse, Dominican citizen, married in the DR, to Canada than to try and get them to Canada to get married? Does it make a difference?

Canada no longer has a fianc?'s visa so unless the future spouse qualifies on his/her own to immigrate to Canada it is easier to marry first.

It's not recommended of course just to get them here because you will carry a three year responsibly as the sponsor.

barriodelsur

Apr 27, 2007
Thank you Anna. Any idea what the qualifications are to be said sponser?
Canada no longer has a fianc?'s visa so unless the future spouse qualifies on his/her own to immigrate to Canada it is easier to marry first.

It's not recommended of course just to get them here because you will carry a three year responsibly as the sponsor.

barriodelsur

Apr 27, 2007
Thank you but I am already there, from another post of yours :). I guess what I am asking is, assuming good credit, a secure career what is the income they are looking for? $50k, 60k, 100? Do they focus on any other criteria? I don't see any requirements stated...just questions on the various forms.

thanks

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thank you but I am already there, from another post of yours :). I guess what I am asking is, assuming good credit, a secure career what is the income they are looking for? $50k, 60k, 100? Do they focus on any other criteria? I don't see any requirements stated...just questions on the various forms.

thanks

You are asking about the sponsor right? Most sponsors have no problem qualifying that I've heard of except you can't be on welfare.

The problems are hardly ever with the sponsoring spouse. Proving a real relationship is another story even if you are married ;)

barriodelsur

Apr 27, 2007
I was asking about the sponsor, yes.

Ahhh, I think I'm, finally, grasping it:cheeky:.

So the issue is not the sponsorship but proving the relationship.

So, what does one need then; pictures, witnesses, plane ticket stubs, letters of recommendation and from whom?

Any further hints, this is obviously a confusing, and I suspect, grey area.

Also, does the person being sponsored have anything to prove? Does it matter if they are financially stable, perhaps owning a business or home.

What would help to have the application succeed?

You are asking about the sponsor right? Most sponsors have no problem qualifying that I've heard of except you can't be on welfare.

The problems are hardly ever with the sponsoring spouse. Proving a real relationship is another story even if you are married ;)

hope1

May 5, 2007
I have a Canadian friend who's love is coming to visit Canada from the Dominican Republic on a visitors visa. Have any Canadians out there married someone from the Dominican Republic in Canada? How long did it take for the person from the Dominican Republic to get permanent residency in Canada?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I have a Canadian friend who's love is coming to visit Canada from the Dominican Republic on a visitors visa. Have any Canadians out there married someone from the Dominican Republic in Canada? How long did it take for the person from the Dominican Republic to get permanent residency in Canada?

Is it in his/her hands yet?
How long is the visitor's visa for? When it expires the Dominican has to return unless the visa can be extended. The status of the visitor's visa would have to be changed to PR and it's certainly not any faster and not sure if he/she would be able to wait it out here or would have to return to the DR in the mean time.

Going by what is posted here the average time is 9 months if there are no complications if done outside Canada.

If anyone has any further info I'm sure they will post it here. ;)

Here's some info for you CIC Canada | FAQ - Change in Policy: Sponsorship of Spouses and Common-law Partners from within Canada

hope1

May 5, 2007
Thanks Anna for your reply.
Yes, the Visa is in his hands.
It is for 6 months but because of work he won't be able to come until the end of June and it runs out the beginning of August.This means just one month in Canada.
In the link you sent the 'change in policy' states that
"most spouses and common-law partners can stay in Canada after applying for permanent residence even if they do not have legal status...
Previously, an applicant had to be in Canada legally before applying for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class."
If you hear of anyone who has married a Dominican Citizen in Canada when here on a visitor visa please let me know.
I have heard that if you apply from Canada the wait is much longer but you get to be with your love. The down side is that without permanent residence the applicant can not work or study. I would really like to know how much longer the wait really is.

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
I know someone from Ireland that is marrying a Canadian next month and it's taken her 18 months for her work permit!!
How did your friend get a visitors visa when they're not even married? Is he rich or something? Does he own a business? Not that many Dominicans get them so i'm a little surprised!!! I'm trying to get one right now for my husband.... so just curious.

hope1

May 5, 2007
Well, my friend is not rich.
He works with a Canadian agency that works in the sugar cane bayetes.
He also works as a teacher in a public high school. The school was started by some missionaries who have kept a very close contact. And he has come back and forth to Canada and the US for years. We actually got visitor visas for 20 high school teachers last year to come to Canada from the DR for some professional development. The more often you leave and return the more chance you have of getting a visa. So spending years going to conferences and being invited to speak in Canada gets you in it seems. This time all he had was an invitation from a friend asking to visit...of course with all the details of picking up and dropping off at the airport and covering costs and the rest. But there is not conference or anything. I guess with what I've read on this site he has been lucky. I know that they also make sure they bring bank statements and such that indicate they have money in the account. I think money is borrowed from everyone to make sure money shows in their accounts. And they have records of family that they are committed to and would never leave. I was irritated he didn't get the visa for Christmas and it took over two months to get it. Like I said we are lucky.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
This is far trickier than anticipated.

What if the house the person "owns" is in a barrio and there is no paper trail per se. It's been passed down from generation to generation with no records. I guess that won't really help establish strong ties to the DR.
No official documents, no candy.

barriodelsur

Apr 27, 2007
No official documents, no candy.
That really is a problem.

To further complicate things the business owned is not "legal" in that no taxes are paid, so it would appear that it does not officially exist.

So again another way to prove strong ties to the DR, for a visitor or student visa, is negated. :(

barriodelsur

Apr 27, 2007
A visitor, work or student visa would be ideal initially. It's just becoming difficult to prove strong ties and/or a reason to return to the DR.

Not that getting married before the move to Canada is out of the question.

barriodelsur

Apr 27, 2007
I guess the real question is if one wanted to get a Dominican to Canada what is the surest path?

Get married first?

Get them to Canada as a student?

An employee?

AS a visitor?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I guess the real question is if one wanted to get a Dominican to Canada what is the surest path?

Get married first?

Get them to Canada as a student?

An employee?

AS a visitor?

There's no sure path if the application isn't genuine. Everything you need to know about visa to Canada is in this forum which is the visa forum. There is no info about Visas in the mars/venus forum.

It's been a almost year since you first posted have you had any luck?

barriodelsur

Apr 27, 2007
Thanks Anna,

Time sure flies...;)

The application would be genuine. :D:bunny::bunny:

I would be happy to move to the DR but I want her to have the opportunities that Canadian citizenship and a Canadian passport would afford her.

She has no real desire to live in Canada, or even to leave the DR except for vacations, but it's good to have as many options as possible.

We have spoken with other applicants. Those that have been successful and those that have not.

Based on their stories we have decided to wait before getting married and applying for a permanent visa. All the while documenting out calling card logs, my vacations, lots of photos, etc...since it seems that the appearance of credibility is the main issue.

We are patient and in no rush. If it happens great and if not it's no big deal. It would be advantageous for her to get Canadian citizenship but it's not essential.

Thanks for your help and interest. :)
There's no sure path if the application isn't genuine. Everything you need to know about visa to Canada is in this forum which is the visa forum. There is no info about Visas in the mars/venus forum.

It's been a almost year since you first posted have you had any luck?

barriodelsur

Apr 27, 2007
Getting back to basics:

If you were Canadian and interested in getting your fiance/fincee into Canada what would you think would be the most expedient way?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
We're going around and round so here it is, if she she your fianc?e then marry her in the DR and even that will take around 8 or 9 months to get her PR in Canada.

With a permanent residency (PR) card she can travel back and forth and doesn't need to be a Canadian Citizen to do so.