New Gym Rumor in Sosua

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Reports of another gym for Sosua are circulating. This has been rumored before, with no results, and this maybe just another rumor. However, when talking with Felix today--formerly worked in a gym in Playa Dorada, worked off and on in Golden Park gym in Sosua, and now works in the gym in Monte Llano--he said that a new, 2-story gym will be opening in several months in El Batey, Sosua. He said the land has been purchased and construction has started. I told him there were frequent rumors about gyms, but he said this was for real. We'll see.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Just curious,whats wrong with the one in Sosua know? Is it rundown is the equipment old or are the prices to high.
I know it has been for sale for a couple of years now.
hifiman

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
hifiman, actually it is a pretty good gym. Much larger and better equipped than you would expect in a town the size of Sosua.

To be honest, I'll be surprised if there is any more substance to this rumor than all the previous ones. Considering the size of the investment necessary to start a new gym, and the prices that can be charged in Sosua, it would seem to me there are better ways to invest your money.

I know somebody who took a close look at the present gym and thought the price was very reasonable considering the apartments on the 3rd floor that can be rented out. But when he looked at the building, he found that the roof would need a lot of work to close the cracks that are doing water damage in those 3rd floor apartments.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Thanks Ken, I always thought if the price was a little lower and the building was in good shape you can get rid of the mini golf and replace it with a pool and outside bar it might be a pretty good deal.
hifiman

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The rumors are true. If you look across the street from The closed Esplanada Hotel down from the Sosua Car Wash you will see construction has started. I know the people, and they are serious about this. The price will be about 500RD, Golden Park charges 850RD.

They say two or three months, so adjusting foe Dominican time figure 6-7 months.

By the way, the gym in Monte Llano charges 300RD per month.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
SKY, I was told today by a person who seemed very knowledgeable that it is the Russians who are building the gym and that it will be a Gold gym. He said it would be ready in 8 months, which sounds more likely than 2 or 3. How does this square with the info you have?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The people behind the new Gym are Dominicans from NY and Charamicos, not Russians.

B

batich

Hopefully in the new gym people will return plates to the place after using them. And not leave them on the bar like it happens now.

But for this monthly membership fee must be at least $1500 RD or hopefully more.