First guests via the Santo Domingo-Samana Highway

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Although reporting that it is still an unpaved dirt road in bad condition best traversed by a SUV in places, our first guests using the new highway have arrived. It took them a little over 2 hours to drive up from SD to where the highway intersects the north coast highway just west of the airport at el Catey and then another hour out to us in Las Galeras. The bridges over the rivers have also been completed and our guests say that when finished they will be able to make the trip from SD to LG in about 2 hours or a little more.

bryanb

Dec 30, 2005
Andy - Not to sound dumb, but how long did it take them before to get to Las Galeras?

BTW - If I'd know you were located in Las Galeras I'd have tried to meet you in Feburary when I was at Casa Marina Bay.

Thanks for all the informative posts you put up.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
They left their home in Santo Domingo about 9:30am and were here in LG by 1pm, about an hour less than it takes via the regular route (4-1/2hrs). Figure it took them 1/2 hour to get from their house out to where the highway starts out near the SD international airport. It's going to be a real boon when the highway is finished the end of this year. My guests also said that the construction crews they saw were hard at work today.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Hello Andy,

Could you give a bit more info on the actual state of the new road,
Have to go to Sanchez from the Capital and thought I might try, what about all the rain today here on the peninsula, think it could make it impassable ??.

Any input from you would be greatly appreciated !

A nice evening to you and to all on the board.

CG

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
The condition of the road is of one under construction with a lot of men and equipment working. Many parts of it have only the raw base left after it was cut with a grader, not filled and compacted at all and passable only with 4wd in low range. On much of the road about 20mph is possible. And my guests also reported that they almost didn't get through as they were going to be turned back because equipment was blocking the road. However, the construction guys relented and let them pass.
To be honest, I wouldn't try it without a 4WD with high road clearance for a while, especially after all the recent rains. Give it another 3 months at least.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Good short cut.

Isn't this to be a toll road? When is it scheduled to be 100% finished? Is this the road that traverses a beautiful, recently built bridge that cost double the bucks projected by the Gov?

domicanita

Mar 7, 2007
Andy,
Thank you so much for the information. Our family will be going to Las Terrenas on December 18th. do you have any idea if it will be finished by then.

DavidM

Jun 29, 2006
Thanks for the update. This road's status is very important to which airport I fly into on my next trip to the DR

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Thanks for the update. This road's status is very important to which airport I fly into on my next trip to the DR

David and Dominicanita,
Your guess is as good as mine as to when it will be open however I heard that Leonel wants to highlight this as one of his administration's accomplishments sothat guarantees it will be open before the next election. Hopefully it will be sometime before the first of the year as previously stated.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Bear Stearns:

Autopistas del Nordeste ? Expect Early Completion ? Additional Project in the Pipeline
Our meeting with Autopistas del Nordeste (AdN) was very encouraging and featured some interesting updates. AdN is responsible for constructing a 106-km toll road between Santo Domingo and the peninsula of Saman? under a 33-year concession granted by the Dominican government. ...

We were pleased to hear from management that the project is moving ahead of schedule and the company expects that construction will be finished three months early (January 2008 vs. May as originally projected). Additionally, tourism-based development in the northern end of the highway in Saman? is expected to spur an increase of traffic flows on the highway, and therefore higher revenues. Finally, we expect that AdN will be contracted to upgrade and develop an additional section of highway ? this is just awaiting governmental approval, expected in the first or second week of March. ..
[/FONT]

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
From another thread, ...

CG-LT said:
05-03-2007, 11:26 PM

SDQ - SAMANA Highway
Good Evening,

Today left Santo Domingo around 9 this morning, arrived Sanchez just after 2 pm. yes we got lost, yes we got stopped by all the construction going on and yes it was MUDDY. Was it fun ??, no. I would not recomend the drive yet, lets let them finish it as it will be spectacular when done. I have a photo or two but can't figure out how to atatch them, any help there ?.

good night

CG

img1434ain6.jpg

img14431ado3.jpg

img1439abe8.jpg

img1451aly1.jpg

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
El Catey International-Las Terrenas extension (from another thread)

"President Fernandez announced that an additional US$115 million would be invested to extend the Santo Domingo-Rincon de Molenillo highway in Samana to the town of Nagua. He also reported that a smaller connecting road would be built for traffic from the new airport to the touristic town of Las Terrenas on the northern side of the Samana peninsula.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuffine
"He also reported that a smaller connecting road would be built for traffic from the new airport to the touristic town of Las Terrenas on the northern side of the Samana peninsula. "

This road has been cut...I was was on it a few weeks ago just after the first pass by the heavy equipment...i have a few pics if anybody wants them....sh

Shuff's pics of the road under construction:

316000sqmtsjackson53hs1.jpg

316000sqmtsjackson51hq5.jpg

The Great Views:

316000sqmtsjackson56qr9.jpg

316000sqmtsjackson50fi1.jpg

316000sqmtsjackson49re2.jpg

316000sqmtsjackson16wc5.jpg

http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-east-coast/58562-el-catey-l-t-road.html

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
dr1 Travel News, ..

Samana highway details[FONT=Verdana, Arial]
The Ministry of Public Works announces that 98% of the 106-km expressway linking Santo Domingo and Samana has been opened, with 10% of the thoroughfare already asphalted, the 13 kilometers to the Carretera Mella crossing. The highway is expected to be open to the public as early as January 2008. At the present time, most resources are directed at the construction of 12 bridges. Engineer Armin Ricardo Garcia Acuna, president of Autopistas del Nordeste, the concessionaire, said that the six first bridges will be ready by July, another four by September and October and the rest in December. The funds for the construction will be recovered at three toll booths located at the rossing of Las Americas and Mella Highway, Villa Mella-Monte Plata and Bayaguana-Cruce de Molinillos. Minister of Public Works said that the highway is costing US$151 million and shorten the distance from Santo Domingo to Samana to about the same time an hour and a half time, making that destination's beach areas as close as getting to La Romana, for instance. At present, it takes about four hours to travel to beach destinations in Samana from Santo Domingo. From the Las Americas Highway to Rincon de Molinillos is 106 kilometers. The distance to Samana is 170 kms by this route.
[/FONT]

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
It looks like they're gonna have to put up a retaining mesh on the sides of those places where they cut into hillsides to open up for the road, kinda like I-64 when you drive thru West Virginia.....wouldn't want any flying rocks falling on my car ;) .....

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I traveled to Samana today and it took me 1 hour and 10 minutes from Las AMericas to Rincon de Molinillo, from there to Samana around 45-50 minutes, all together 2 hours from Santo Domingo to Samana!!!! I just can't believe it, the road is wonderful, is 99.99% paved with only a detour for a bridge that's still under construction, we found cows and horses on the road which was very dangerous because the road is becoming very busy, so be careful. I posted some pictures on flicker:

Samana - a set on Flickr

these are by no means professional pictures, they were taken with my simple Sony Cybershot so some might be overexposed, also there are other pictures from Samana, enjoy...

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
most guaguas from el limon,samana and las terrenas now use the new highway completly...my daughters left Sd yesterday at 140pm,and she called me from las terrenas at about 4pm....what a great savings on time...at least 2 hours now...
bob

I don't know about this picture, I don't remember where the highway becomes a two-lane highway, if my memory doesn't fail me is one lane highway the whole length, but I might be mistaken.

That is not a picture of the Samana highway, I have travelled it 5 times now over the past month. the highway is great las americas till the north coast hwy just under an hour 50-55 minutes but I do drive with a lead foot.