Bad Experience at Club Residencial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncledee295

Apr 6, 2005
First I would like to say that I have been to the DR 8 times and 7 of them have been at club residencial. I have always enjoyed my stay there until this last vacation. I have always cooked in my room while staying at this hotel but this time the owners had a problem with it. My girlfriend always stays with me and cooks for me but I was told any food could be cooked other than dominican food. I asked Beatrice (owner) why was it a problem because we have always cooked dominican food. She responded that they don't cook like us or eat like us. She stated the a person from Europe would not rent the after the dominican cooking. While she was talking her husband walked up and told me that I was fortunate that they let me stay at thier hotel and that dominicans were aliens. He told me that I was a guest and made it seem that dominicans were not human. I told him that perhaps you are the fortunate one because I chose your hotel. At this point I was very angry, Oh forgot to tell you that I am black man from the USA. I said that to say that this guy is used to talking down to dominicans and forgot who I was. I told him the I didn't identified with the us that he was referring to and that I was offended by the statements. There was also another guest from Canada that was married to a domincan and had a heated conversation that followed.

I was trying to keep my composure because I brought 5 other guys along with me on this vacation. With all that said, we decided to finish our vacation there and invited dominicans to eat with us everyday and at happy hour bought drinks for dominicans passing by to keep the bar full of the people they dislike so much. I know you are wondering why didn't you just leave and go somewhere else. It was the principle. I work for the fire dept and have always brought people with me each time I've vacationed. I have delt with people like them all of my life and was not going to run away. Before leaving I expressed how people of color were only welcome if they were paying and how I would not stay there again if hell froze over. I guess you have a--holes every where you go. I found another place to stay for the same price with better accomadations. The only thing I will miss is the nice dominicans that work at the hotel for those a--holes.

A

apostropheman

nicely done!

i'm glad you stood your ground. it probably had a much more profound affect than just leaving. this way they had it rubbed in their face and they have lost your future business as well as from all the people you bring with you.

Last edited:

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Good for you,way to stand up for yourself.I suspect that some of his racist remarks may have been indirectly aimed at you.
If he hates Dominicans so much he sure picked the wrong country to open up a business.
I will be sure to take that Hotel of my list of potential places to stay.
hifiman

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Good for you,way to stand up for yourself.I suspect that some of his racist remarks may have been indirectly aimed at you.

Yes I'd agree, particularly the 'Europeans won't rent after Dominicans have cooked in the room' bit. She must have known you were not European. If this is exactly as you say it is atrocious. Utterly atrocious. Please, please report your experience to the Ministry of Tourism. And maybe the tax dept. (DGII) - worth checking that these people are operating in an entirely legal fashion taxwise. Please also report your experience to the nearest DR tourism office to you in US. If you know the Canadian get him to do likewise. And maybe think about sharing your story with some of the black media in US?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Yes I'd agree, particularly the 'Europeans won't rent after Dominicans have cooked in the room' bit.

Crazy if you ask me. I guess they don't mind what happened in the bed they will sleep in?

Club R was at one time my favorite when in Sosua. My last stay I also noticed a bit of arrogance with the owners. I switched over to the New Garden Hotel and found it to be a much better place to stay.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
What nerve!!! I agree with apostopheman . I like your styl. I am so glad that you stood your ground. Way to stick it to them,I bet what you did made them as angry as I'm sure they made you. What kind of reaction did they expect especially in this day and age?

The only thing that worries me is that they probably took out their anger on their Dominican employees, which is sad indeed to think about. Nonetheless I am glad that you did what you did. Good on ya!

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Great Job!

Club Residencial should be boycotted by all. I am leaving Orilla del Mar/ Cabarete for similar reasons. But mostly the attitudes of the fat, old, ignorant, jealous ladies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Just out of curiosity, what was the owner's complaint. That a European wouldn't rent any room in the hotel because he smelled Dominican cooking being done in one of the rooms, or he wouldn't rent the room you were staying in after you left?

Sosuany

Nov 11, 2006
I had tried to email this hotel asking them for a lower rate. They told me that I should go somewhere else.

Uncledee295

Apr 6, 2005
Owners complaint

Just out of curiosity, what was the owner's complaint. That a European wouldn't rent any room in the hotel because he smelled Dominican cooking being done in one of the rooms, or he wouldn't rent the room you were staying in after you left?

The owners complaint was the we could cook any kind of food other than dominican food. They stated that it was fine to make coffee or fry an egg in the morning but dominican food was off limits. I told them all food when cooked gives off a scent. As I stated each time that I have vacationed there my girlfriend which is dominican has always cooked for me. Only this time there was a problem. I don't understand why they have kitchens if cooking is not permitted. I really had more of a problem with the statements that were made towards the dominicans. I was very offended because they thought that I was to identify with what they were saying. I think in there minds they thought that since I was american, the comments they were making was fine with me. The cooking is just what started the whole incident. I hope that answers your question about the complaint.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I would have retaliated by cooking the most pungent non-Dominican dishes known to humanity.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I would have retaliated by cooking the most pungent non-Dominican dishes known to humanity.

And that is? Road kill frita (mucho aceite) con platano, cebolla y batata?

Sry, to hear about the story, but the owner of CR is kind of weird...

NYC_Trini_Span

Sep 9, 2005
What an #$@%$#!@hole

I will be moving back to the DR in less than 2 weeks. I don't expect to be back until January of '08. Needless to say i am very connected and MUST let the Dominicans know of this and ALSO bring in some locals for drinks on mee, although i don't plan on making them rich! I hope to be able to inform guests.
This just ****ed me off.
I also go through this with the few Dominicans who think they can't offend me while they verbally degrade the Haitians.
I go through this with the few Haitians who tell me I am a "White" Blaxk man because i'm American and therefore don't know real racism (HA!).

So- there ARE %@%holes in every culture.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Putting a different flavor on it ...

There are many places that are not 'guest friendly', because of the sanki and 'sankiette' phenomenon in the DR. Sometimes with good reason and sometimes with no good reason. About this place, I personally know nothing.

Who knows, perhaps these people have been through the mill dealing with 'sex-tourism' and want to discourage any flavor of that in their establishment. Again, I personally do not know the people or the establishment, but all aspects need to be investigated before jumping to conclusions.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There are many places that are not 'guest friendly', because of the sanki and 'sankiette' phenomenon in the DR. Sometimes with good reason and sometimes with no good reason. About this place, I personally know nothing.

Who knows, perhaps these people have been through the mill dealing with 'sex-tourism' and want to discourage any flavor of that in their establishment. Again, I personally do not know the people or the establishment, but all aspects need to be investigated before jumping to conclusions.
You are 100% correct, Chris.
It is clear than none of us will tolerate any racism and some may even boycott their establishment, because of said events, but it is also clear that the owners of the condos may be selective about who they rent to, and how and what the premises may be used for, but it would be preferable to make this all clear before renting it out.

Uncledee295

Apr 6, 2005
Different Flavor

Putting a different flavor on it ...

I know that this hotel is guest friendly. The fact is that each time I have been to this hotel I have always checked my girlfriend in with me from day one. She is able to come and go as she pleases as a guest of the hotel. I don't come to the DR for the chicas in the bars, clubs, or the street. I didn't write this because I want them to close their doors. I only wanted to share my experience with everyone and expose a little light on some issues with the owners. This could have been a one time incident which I doubt. If any person enjoys their stay there, by all means continue. As I stated before, I always enjoyed my stay there until this incident. I also stated that I always brought guys down from the fire dept with me (6 to 8 guys). Simply stated, in the future when I vacation in the DR someone else will get my business.

large_e

Jan 16, 2005
racists at CR

I have had friend upon check-in with dominican girlfriends told the exact same thing (dominican cooking).

Also when you sit down to purchase from Fritz and Beatrice, they ask you not to sell to any black americans as they feel they are more difficult to control. I have this from at least 3 people who were interested in buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.