Best quality interior/exterior white paint?

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
I need to touch up interior and exterior paint on my house. We bought some white paint - Pintura Popular in a tin with a rainbow on it. It's Acrilica Mate Exterior-Interior and it is absolute rubbish. I didn't even think about 'quality' at the time because we just wanted some white paint - how difficult could that be? Silly me....:cheeky: I cannot believe it hasn't been watered down, because at this rate it's going to take me about 15 coats to cover up a few marks made by my girls....

Is there another interior and exterior white paint that anybody could recommend which has good coverage, or am I stuck with this?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I need to touch up interior and exterior paint on my house. We bought some white paint - Pintura Popular in a tin with a rainbow on it. It's Acrilica Mate Exterior-Interior and it is absolute rubbish. I didn't even think about 'quality' at the time because we just wanted some white paint - how difficult could that be? Silly me....:cheeky: I cannot believe it hasn't been watered down, because at this rate it's going to take me about 15 coats to cover up a few marks made by my girls....

Is there another interior and exterior white paint that anybody could recommend which has good coverage, or am I stuck with this?
First of all, you certainly do not want flat paint outdoors.
Secondly you should buy their top of the line paint for best coverage.
Third, the area has to be clean for future coats to adhere and give you good coverage.
Lastly, tell me what type of surface it is.
Wood, cement, metal, etc?
We will have to establish if you need water or oil based gloss paint.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
I had all the house re-painted inside and out back in December. It's concrete inside and out. I didn't even discuss type of paint as had it painted same as other houses in same style in surrounding area. Always had it in mind to sell it after renovating it and putting in new floor, windows and pool, so didn't get as into the 'nitty gritty' as I normally do. It just looks like white matt paint to me.

The only reason I wanted to 'touch' it up is because of all girls fingermarks etc on inside walls and on my daughter's bedroom window it's all grubby down the wall and around the window where she thinks it's fun to keep climbing in and out.... I've just put it up for sale so want to keep it looking nice, but don't want to spend hours painting coat after coat of an inferior paint. My Spanish isn't up to scratch so I don't know what to ask for....

I'm confused now, perhaps I should just go back to the people who painted it and see what they used.....

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I had all the house re-painted inside and out back in December. It's concrete inside and out. I didn't even discuss type of paint as had it painted same as other houses in same style in surrounding area. Always had it in mind to sell it after renovating it and putting in new floor, windows and pool, so didn't get as into the 'nitty gritty' as I normally do. It just looks like white matt paint to me.

The only reason I wanted to 'touch' it up is because of all girls fingermarks etc on inside walls and on my daughter's bedroom window it's all grubby down the wall and around the window where she thinks it's fun to keep climbing in and out.... I've just put it up for sale so want to keep it looking nice, but don't want to spend hours painting coat after coat of an inferior paint. My Spanish isn't up to scratch so I don't know what to ask for....

I'm confused now, perhaps I should just go back to the people who painted it and see what they used.....
If it's cement and block, latex gloss would be best, and use their most expensive paint, for better adhesion and coverage.
The area has to be clean, and if it's is shiny, you might have to wash it down with something like TSP to break up the enamel like surface, but more than likely it's not necessary.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
Thanks Marco.

If I buy the latex gloss, do you know if there's there one make that's better than the rest? Is there a particular ferreteria you recommend in Sosua?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks Marco.

If I buy the latex gloss, do you know if there's there one make that's better than the rest? Is there a particular ferreteria you recommend in Sosua?
It's difficult to find in Sosua, but when I have in the past, it's always been at Terramar.
Bear in mind that Latex gloss is equivalent in shine to oil/alkyd semi-gloss, so if he refers to it as semi, that's ok.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I've been wanting to sort out a paint problem too. House is block with concrete as per normal. Inside is painted white, but goes grey. Had it repainted and dominican expert painter said you had to put bleach on the grey to get rid of it and then painted it. I thought it was a bit dodgy, but I am not an expert painter. Hey presto, two months later - grey again, but a few bits are still white. Don't think it is water coming through. Any suggestions? Should I use this latex gloss too??

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I've been wanting to sort out a paint problem too. House is block with concrete as per normal. Inside is painted white, but goes grey. Had it repainted and dominican expert painter said you had to put bleach on the grey to get rid of it and then painted it. I thought it was a bit dodgy, but I am not an expert painter. Hey presto, two months later - grey again, but a few bits are still white. Don't think it is water coming through. Any suggestions? Should I use this latex gloss too??
I would just be guessing without seeing it.
Are you here in town?
Could it be humidity coming through, giving it a wet greyish appearance?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I would just be guessing without seeing it.
Are you here in town?
Could it be humidity coming through, giving it a wet greyish appearance?

i thought it was humidity but if so why not all over, why not in all rooms? It looks like a dark grey but doesn't feel wet. Its a long way for you to come to look at it - Juan Dolio - but if you are ever down here .........!!!!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
i thought it was humidity but if so why not all over, why not in all rooms? It looks like a dark grey but doesn't feel wet. Its a long way for you to come to look at it - Juan Dolio - but if you are ever down here .........!!!!
Any chance you could send me pics?
I have to admit that I don't know that pics would help, as it's a really strange problem as you describe it, and Juan Dolio is a bit on the far side from here.
I worked in the paint industry and was even the company's trouble shooter for a year or so, handling customer complaints.
I've seen strange things happen, but even if we couldn't find the root of the problem, which was rare, we could at least resolve it.
The dark grey patches appearing and not being wet is highly unusual.
Something has to make it turn grey.
The paint itself could hardly have a defect that made it turn grey.

Latex paints are porous, which is why they are used on cement & block, as the latter contain so much air which expands & contracts with substantial temperature changes. that they would "pop" off a sealed layer. (peeling)
Oil/alkyd base paints are sealers and wouldn't permit humidity through to discolour the surface, but could peel under enough pressure.
Was this a new cement surface when it was painted?
Sometimes, new cement can cause havoc for paint.

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
why don't you use a primer first (Sherwin Willams "impremador") and their best quality for exterior/interior latex paint, "Excelior". It is a NVOC paint for interior. They have it in POP, STI and SDQ.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
why don't you use a primer first (Sherwin Willams "impremador") and their best quality for exterior/interior latex paint, "Excelior". It is a NVOC paint for interior. They have it in POP, STI and SDQ.
That is one possibility, and I'm trying to find out more about the source of the problem, before suggesting a primer/sealer, as it could peel in certain conditions.
One could paint it many different ways with many different products until something worked, but it would be better to get it right the first time around.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
It most likely is humidity (we have had a problem for years due to leaks from the upstairs apt.) however we used a sealer/primer used for wood (I know,I know we put it on concrete but when I quizzed my other half he said that was what a painter friend told him to do!).
Didn't paint over it for a season waiting to see if it would 'flake' off (powder off actually) like all the paint before leaving that same dark grey colour.
Low and behold IT WORKED! Still have a nice white ceiling and haven't even painted over it yet as it looks great by itself (going on three years now!).

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It most likely is humidity (we have had a problem for years due to leaks from the upstairs apt.) however we used a sealer/primer used for wood (I know,I know we put it on concrete but when I quizzed my other half he said that was what a painter friend told him to do!).
Didn't paint over it for a season waiting to see if it would 'flake' off (powder off actually) like all the paint before leaving that same dark grey colour.
Low and behold IT WORKED! Still have a nice white ceiling and haven't even painted over it yet as it looks great by itself (going on three years now!).
It's quite possible that will turn out to be the best solution, but it would be nice to know if it is humidity causing the problem, and if so, how much there is.
If there is way too much dampness, even the sealer will peel.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I'll do photos tomorrow when there is more light, but its not new concrete, built in 98, and as I said its not everywhere, just in some rooms, and some places

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Ok so here are the photos. As you can see in some parts it is white, and hasn't been repainted...so no idea. In case you get bored, there is a pic of my Great Dane Tyson too!!!

54njqqs.jpg

61xss5f.jpg

4vst554.jpg

6f60tvn.jpg

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
OK.
I got it now.
First, you should paint the dog blue, then....
Just kidding.
The advice given to you about using a sealer, is correct.
It would be WAY better if you can get a latex sealer.
Oil/alkyd base paints seal really well, but could lead to a peeling problem.
Depending on how thin the sealer is, you might even have to go over it twice.
After that, if you can get a high quality Lated satin paint (not flat, but not as shiny as the latex gloss) and your problems should be over.
Looking at the pics, one sees more evidence of the cement drinking up the paint, than humidity.
In your top pic, you can see a roller stripe, where the painter must have spread it really thick, so it stayed whiter.
The grey colour you are seeing, appears to be the cement showing through, rather than humidity discolouring it.
You may have some wetness too, but it does not appear to be the main problem, and the latex sealer will resolve that too, if there is any.
Use a high pile roller (long hair) and don't be shy about spreading it thick.
The finish coat can also be spread thick, within reason of course, as you don't want globs.
Allowing the paint to dry for 24 hours between coats makes for better results.
Although latex paint dries rapidly to touch, it doesn't mean that it's really dry.
In fact, the true curing time for most paints is 3 months.
So, if you can do 1 coat per day, you will get the best results.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You are fab. Thanks so much. That's my next big job now to paint the house, and this time I know it will work. Thanks again

matilda

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You are fab. Thanks so much. That's my next big job now to paint the house, and this time I know it will work. Thanks again

matilda
Glad to be of service.
BTW: Latex paint is soluble with alcohol, once it's dry, so if you need to clean off dried paint after the job is done, pharmacy alcohol or 151 will do great with a brillo verde, followed by a moist (water) rag.