Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best quality interior/exterior white paint?

I need to touch up interior and exterior paint on my house. We bought some white paint - Pintura Popular in a tin with a rainbow on it. It's Acrilica Mate Exterior-Interior and it is absolute rubbish. I didn't even think about 'quality' at the time because we just wanted some white paint - how difficult could that be? Silly me.... I cannot believe it hasn't been watered down, because at this rate it's going to take me about 15 coats to cover up a few marks made by my girls....

Is there another interior and exterior white paint that anybody could recommend which has good coverage, or am I stuck with this?

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharlene View Post
    I need to touch up interior and exterior paint on my house. We bought some white paint - Pintura Popular in a tin with a rainbow on it. It's Acrilica Mate Exterior-Interior and it is absolute rubbish. I didn't even think about 'quality' at the time because we just wanted some white paint - how difficult could that be? Silly me.... I cannot believe it hasn't been watered down, because at this rate it's going to take me about 15 coats to cover up a few marks made by my girls....

Is there another interior and exterior white paint that anybody could recommend which has good coverage, or am I stuck with this?
    First of all, you certainly do not want flat paint outdoors.
    Secondly you should buy their top of the line paint for best coverage.
    Third, the area has to be clean for future coats to adhere and give you good coverage.
    Lastly, tell me what type of surface it is.
    Wood, cement, metal, etc?
    We will have to establish if you need water or oil based gloss paint.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I had all the house re-painted inside and out back in December. It's concrete inside and out. I didn't even discuss type of paint as had it painted same as other houses in same style in surrounding area. Always had it in mind to sell it after renovating it and putting in new floor, windows and pool, so didn't get as into the 'nitty gritty' as I normally do. It just looks like white matt paint to me.

The only reason I wanted to 'touch' it up is because of all girls fingermarks etc on inside walls and on my daughter's bedroom window it's all grubby down the wall and around the window where she thinks it's fun to keep climbing in and out.... I've just put it up for sale so want to keep it looking nice, but don't want to spend hours painting coat after coat of an inferior paint. My Spanish isn't up to scratch so I don't know what to ask for....

I'm confused now, perhaps I should just go back to the people who painted it and see what they used.....

Post Thanks / Like

I had all the house re-painted inside and out back in December. It's concrete inside and out. I didn't even discuss type of paint as had it painted same as other houses in same style in surrounding area. Always had it in mind to sell it after renovating it and putting in new floor, windows and pool, so didn't get as into the 'nitty gritty' as I normally do. It just looks like white matt paint to me.

The only reason I wanted to 'touch' it up is because of all girls fingermarks etc on inside walls and on my daughter's bedroom window it's all grubby down the wall and around the window where she thinks it's fun to keep climbing in and out.... I've just put it up for sale so want to keep it looking nice, but don't want to spend hours painting coat after coat of an inferior paint. My Spanish isn't up to scratch so I don't know what to ask for....

I'm confused now, perhaps I should just go back to the people who painted it and see what they used.....
    If it's cement and block, latex gloss would be best, and use their most expensive paint, for better adhesion and coverage.
    The area has to be clean, and if it's is shiny, you might have to wash it down with something like TSP to break up the enamel like surface, but more than likely it's not necessary.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Marco.

If I buy the latex gloss, do you know if there's there one make that's better than the rest? Is there a particular ferreteria you recommend in Sosua?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Marco.

If I buy the latex gloss, do you know if there's there one make that's better than the rest? Is there a particular ferreteria you recommend in Sosua?
    It's difficult to find in Sosua, but when I have in the past, it's always been at Terramar.
    Bear in mind that Latex gloss is equivalent in shine to oil/alkyd semi-gloss, so if he refers to it as semi, that's ok.

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been wanting to sort out a paint problem too. House is block with concrete as per normal. Inside is painted white, but goes grey. Had it repainted and dominican expert painter said you had to put bleach on the grey to get rid of it and then painted it. I thought it was a bit dodgy, but I am not an expert painter. Hey presto, two months later - grey again, but a few bits are still white. Don't think it is water coming through. Any suggestions? Should I use this latex gloss too??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    I've been wanting to sort out a paint problem too. House is block with concrete as per normal. Inside is painted white, but goes grey. Had it repainted and dominican expert painter said you had to put bleach on the grey to get rid of it and then painted it. I thought it was a bit dodgy, but I am not an expert painter. Hey presto, two months later - grey again, but a few bits are still white. Don't think it is water coming through. Any suggestions? Should I use this latex gloss too??
    I would just be guessing without seeing it.
    Are you here in town?
    Could it be humidity coming through, giving it a wet greyish appearance?

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I would just be guessing without seeing it.
    Are you here in town?
    Could it be humidity coming through, giving it a wet greyish appearance?
    i thought it was humidity but if so why not all over, why not in all rooms? It looks like a dark grey but doesn't feel wet. Its a long way for you to come to look at it - Juan Dolio - but if you are ever down here .........!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    i thought it was humidity but if so why not all over, why not in all rooms? It looks like a dark grey but doesn't feel wet. Its a long way for you to come to look at it - Juan Dolio - but if you are ever down here .........!!!!
    Any chance you could send me pics?
    I have to admit that I don't know that pics would help, as it's a really strange problem as you describe it, and Juan Dolio is a bit on the far side from here.
    I worked in the paint industry and was even the company's trouble shooter for a year or so, handling customer complaints.
    I've seen strange things happen, but even if we couldn't find the root of the problem, which was rare, we could at least resolve it.
    The dark grey patches appearing and not being wet is highly unusual.
    Something has to make it turn grey.
    The paint itself could hardly have a defect that made it turn grey.

Latex paints are porous, which is why they are used on cement & block, as the latter contain so much air which expands & contracts with substantial temperature changes. that they would "pop" off a sealed layer. (peeling)
    Oil/alkyd base paints are sealers and wouldn't permit humidity through to discolour the surface, but could peel under enough pressure.
    Was this a new cement surface when it was painted?
    Sometimes, new cement can cause havoc for paint.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast