Satellite TV in Santiago

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
As I am spending more time in Santiago would like to check out something other than ASTER cable TV. Anyone in Santiago useing Direct TV or other satellite? Would be interested in who you had set it up, and what you brought into Santiago from the US. Searched the forums without seeing any specifics to Santiago. Please PM me if you have a set up.

C

Chip00

As I am spending more time in Santiago would like to check out something other than ASTER cable TV. Anyone in Santiago useing Direct TV or other satellite? Would be interested in who you had set it up, and what you brought into Santiago from the US. Searched the forums without seeing any specifics to Santiago. Please PM me if you have a set up.

I don't have any info but please post any info on the forums so we can all learn something too.

Thanks

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Viewsat Ultra Vs2000 Usb Fta Satellite Receiver

I have been buying satellite receivers for a friend in Santiago for a few years. This one is the most recent one I bought on Ebay for $165, "VIEWSAT ULTRA VS2000 USB FTA SATELLITE RECEIVER." It does not use a card and can be reprogrammed using a USB stick with web downloaded information. I am not aware of the details of the dishes etc.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Santiago, DR

Searched the forums without seeing any specifics to Santiago.
The recepton in Santiago is basically the same as on the North Coast.

FTA is alive and well in Santiago using 6 foot dishes and Coolsat 4000 Pro, Pansat 2500, Viewsat Extreme, etc. Lots of prior posts about satellite TV.

Some notes to bring a "Beginner" up-to-date.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/60876-satellite-adjustment.html

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/59918-free-air-satellite.html

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/56341-direct-tv-question-satellite.html

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/54304-f-t-sat-tv-up-viewing-again.html

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/49124-satellite-dish-info.html

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Satellite TV IN Santiago

SantiagoDR,
Thanks for your reply but I find nothing in your references that was/is related to my question. I am perfectly capable of searching forums. Those links you referred to are Canada et related and don't answer my question(s) which were and are:

Is anyone in Santiago using satellite TV?

Could you tell me what system you are using (in Santiago)?

How is your reception in Santiago?

Would it be possible for me to look at your set-up?

Jlw919

debbiedee

Banned
Oct 19, 2003
Nothing to do with this link and I might be thick or blonde but how do I post my own forum.....

Sorry I am so blond.....

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Is anyone in Santiago using satellite TV? Yes, I am, SantiagoDR.

Could you tell me what system you are using (in Santiago)? Yes, 6 foot dishes, Coolsat 4000 Pro, Pansat 2500 (Dish Network).

How is your reception in Santiago? Same as North coast - very good - rain fade

Would it be possible for me to look at your set-up? When?

FTA is alive and well in Santiago using 6 foot dishes and Coolsat 4000 Pro, Pansat 2500, Viewsat Extreme, etc.
The above statement in itself should answer most of your questions.
FTA = Free-to-Air = Dish Network and more.

The posts I quoted gave some very good advice.
I have quoted a line or 2 from each of the posts, very informative!

hxxp://www.dr1.com/forums/living/608...djustment.html
I am just getting into the technical nature of satellite systems used here in the DR.Here, we are at the fringe area of receiving a good signal from DISH Network, but it works with larger dishes than you need in the US. Do you have one 6 foot satellite with a different LNB for each satellite or do you have separete dishes for each satellite? Using one dish for both satellites normally provides lower signal strength because you have to compromise on aiming the dish to get both satellites.

hxxp://www.dr1.com/forums/living/599...satellite.html
You want a two meter dish, preferably a US fabricated one, but the locally made dishes will do.

hxxp://www.dr1.com/forums/living/563...satellite.html
Yes, both directTV and Dish TV work well, with a 6' dish. You lose the signal when it rains with both.
I'm in Santo Domingo, and have a reliable source for equipment and service.

hxxp://www.dr1.com/forums/living/543...ing-again.html
This morning my Satellite TV. Man came by the house and took my Coolsat box to his home and returned 1 HR. latter to reprogram the box to my Dish and get me back up and viewing again...... Anyone in the Puerto Plata area that needs his service? PM or Email me and I will give you his name and phone number.

hxxp://www.dr1.com/forums/living/491...dish-info.html
Does anyone have any info on where I can purchase a satellite dish here in the DR?

Don SantiagoDR

mfrancacy

Jul 9, 2007
Satellite dish!!

Hi, did you get any satellite dish set up? Next month I will be in Santiago to setup dishes, I have receivers(regular and Hi-Definition), let me know, thanks

Marcelo.