Illegal in NY?

C

Chip00

The nephew of a close family friend headed out last week to NY on a "work-study" program and I don't think anybody is expecting his return.

In fact his family all seem to be 100% for it, even his mother. I have voiced my concerns as this kid is studying in the University but much of it is falling on deaf ears. I have to realize that I am fighting a very entrenched attitude about going to NY that many if not most Domincians have.

The kid has been to NY once and was making $500 dollars a week, and the 3 months he was there made more than his old man and mother does in a year. While he was there he did not have to pay room and board nor food. I have told him what he thinks will happen when he is ready to get his own place and he says he will get a raise. I explained to him the cost of living but I don't think he can think clearly. I even had him talk with a few illegal Mexicans in NY to find out what they made and low and behold he finds out they are making less than him - so why in the world would he think the owner of the bodega is going to pay him more than $500 a week for sweeping the floor and stocking the groceries when he can get a Mexican if need be?

Again, I have tried to explain to them that things are getting worse daily for illegals in the US but apparently all they see when the look at me es un baboso. Even his mother wants him to go because they kids he was hanging out with in the DR drink and listen to music while the kids in NY are serious and work hard!!!!! Also, I explained that if he overstays his visa in the US that he can forget about ever returning to the US legally if he ever decides to leave.

His game plan is to try find a girl who is a US citizen to marry and if not - well make it work somehow.

Do I need to worry or can an illegal alien make it in the US without doing something illicit? If so is there any point in trying to persuade him otherwise? I have actually met a few illegals through church in the Orlando area with one actually being somewhat succesful with his own business - the guy even had a social security card and a driver's license!

I would be interested in the opinions of DR1'ers that live in the Big Apple that know the real deal about living there.

Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As long as you are not his sponsor, I would let it go. It is like trying to stem the tides...

Entrenched is a gentle word for their attitude....

HB

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Do I need to worry or can an illegal alien make it in the US without doing something illicit? If so is there any point in trying to persuade him otherwise? I have actually met a few illegals through church in the Orlando area with one actually being somewhat succesful with his own business - the guy even had a social security card and a driver's license!

You answered your own question. Anyway have you been up to date with the news of all the raids that are being executed in the states. Even if the congress legislates reforms and some form of amnesty, things will be difficult of illegals. Here is a story about what I'm talking about. Btw your message might fall on death ears no matter what.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/01/us/01deport.html?hp

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Hi Chip.

I know exactly what you are going through. For the last 3 years or so I've been sponsoring/helping two cousins to come to the NYC area and work in that very same program you are referring to. I alternate between the two. One summer is the boy one summer is the girl. The oldest is 21 and this is the last year he can come as he will be done with his studies. After that he will have to go and try getting a visa on his own. His sister however has two more years. She's only 19.

Last summer my cousin told me he was going to stay and find someone to marry. I didn't allow it. I made sure he got on that plane and went back to the DR.

Can illegals really make it? Hummmmm...

I have a VERY large family here in NYC. Some of my family members are here illegally and some are in transition mode (getting their green cards). The majority however is here legally and are most citizens. I have a very sucessful uncle who has a mechanic shop in the Bronx. And I have an aunt who runs a bakery. How do they do it? With the help of other family members. They register things under someone else's name. Some of my family members hate me because I have never participated in this. Just last week my aunt who runs the bakery wanted to buy this whole in the wall restaurant in Brooklyn and wanted me to be "in front" (board of health, bank loan etc). I simply said no. Even after she offered me money and a monthly salary. I just don't like to take part in anything that is illegal no matter what.

Soooo it really all depends on the illegal. If they stay out of trouble and come here to work work work I don't see why they can't get ahead.

C

Chip00

Hi Chip.

I know exactly what you are going through. For the last 3 years or so I've been sponsoring/helping two cousins to come to the NYC area and work in that very same program you are referring to. I alternate between the two. One summer is the boy one summer is the girl. The oldest is 21 and this is the last year he can come as he will be done with his studies. After that he will have to go and try getting a visa on his own. His sister however has two more years. She's only 19.

Last summer my cousin told me he was going to stay and find someone to marry. I didn't allow it. I made sure he got on that plane and went back to the DR.

Can illegals really make it? Hummmmm...

I have a VERY large family here in NYC. Some of my family members are here illegally and some are in transition mode (getting their green cards). The majority however is here legally and are most citizens. I have a very sucessful uncle who has a mechanic shop in the Bronx. And I have an aunt who runs a bakery. How do they do it? With the help of other family members. They register things under someone else's name. Some of my family members hate me because I have never participated in this. Just last week my aunt who runs the bakery wanted to buy this whole in the wall restaurant in Brooklyn and wanted me to be "in front" (board of health, bank loan etc). I simply said no. Even after she offered me money and a monthly salary. I just don't like to take part in anything that is illegal no matter what.

Soooo it really all depends on the illegal. If they stay out of trouble and come here to work work work I don't see why they can't get ahead.

Thanks - do you think he can make it without a lot family there? He has one cousin who got him the job at the bodega but I don't know if he will be wanting to help this kid's future out - he just wants good, trustworthy, cheap labor IMO because he is paying him $500 a week which I don't believe would be enough for him to live alone and pay all of the necessary living expenses.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004

I would be interested in the opinions of DR1'ers that live in the Big Apple that know the real deal about living there.

Thanks

The odds are going to be against him and $500 a week is more than $12 hour which is way above the minimum wage for a low paying job like cleaning in a bodega.

This will be his future:

He will have to compete with other illegals, particularly Mexicans, for hard manual labor jobs for poor wages ranging under $7 hour anything above that he will need to know somebody.

He will have to shack up in somebody's basement crowded with other illegals who don't have family or friends in NYC. Since he can't afford any NYC apartments, even in the Bronx. These areas are infested with Cockroaches & Rats with no heat in the winter.

He could easily be lead into Drug-Dealing with many other young poor urban kids who feel there's no future for themselves. Then he will get caught in some "Buy & Bust" by Manhattan North Narcotics serve 2 or 5 years upstate, depending on class felony, released into the custody of ICE and flown back to the DR on their "Wednesday Specials" in a worse situation then he originally left.

He could become successful but I doubt it, the best possibility is to drive a gypsy cab in the middle of the night for fares. If he has family ties here, then there's an very good chance he could make it if he's determined and stays focused.

C

Chip00

The odds are going to be against him and $500 a week is more than $12 hour which is way above the minimum wage for a low paying job like cleaning in a bodega.

This will be his future:

He will have to compete with other illegals, particularly Mexicans, for hard manual labor jobs for poor wages ranging under $7 hour anything above that he will need to know somebody.

He will have to shack up in somebody's basement crowded with other illegals who don't have family or friends in NYC. Since he can't afford any NYC apartments, even in the Bronx. These areas are infested with Cockroaches & Rats with no heat in the winter.

He could easily be lead into Drug-Dealing with many other young poor urban kids who feel there's no future for themselves. Then he will get caught in some "Buy & Bust" by Manhattan North Narcotics serve 2 or 5 years upstate, depending on class felony, released into the custody of ICE and flown back to the DR on their "Wednesday Specials" in a worse situation then he originally left.

He could become successful but I doubt it, the best possibility is to drive a gypsy cab in the middle of the night for fares.

Thanks Ricardo - send me a PM.

El Tigre - do you concurr with Ricardo given that the kid has only one relative in the area?

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Ricardo,

I beg to differ. If he lands that $500 a week job he can make it. He can rent a room in washington heights for $125 a week. That leaves him with $1,500 a month to play with. You figure between food and play he'll spend about $600 a month. That will leave him at least $900 to save/send his family.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Ricardo,

I beg to differ. If he lands that $500 a week job he can make it. He can rent a room in washington heights for $125 a week. That leaves him with $1,500 a month to play with. You figure between food and play he'll spend about $600 a month. That will leave him at least $900 to save/send his family.

$500 a week is $26,000 a year and if he's off the books he'll save 32% in taxes pretty much equal to a worker making about $34,000 a year gross, not bad. If he can earn that, yes I agree with you he'll do fine.

NY Police Officers start at $25,000 a year before taxes or about $350 a week.:bandit:

Sep 19, 2005
I wonder if these people are getting someone elses SS#. Thats the key. They have to get the SS# to get entrenched, and show they are legit.
Chip was that a Work visa or a school visa. My gfs visa company has told them the jobs dried up for now and that the last group of 50 will have to wait till sept probably. Even though the guy tiold me they hope that another 100 jobs are offered to them in the next few weeks. All in Fla. I am sure who the company is and who they are working with in america determines where the jobs are that need these people. This one company told me that some of these companies got their paperwork late to the US goverment agency that would review their needs for immigrant workers. Thus they ran out of jobs. the guy said like 60K workers come in every year....crazy numbers huh?

as far as you relative Chip, it all depends on his drive and his skills....I see a few palces that it seems everyone in that company is a latino...wether it is a landscape company, a mechanic shop, or a small machine shop...even cleanign companies....if a guy works his behind off and gets some connections, he can clean factories and offices with little over head.....and long hours and starts banking some money......it is just little breaks here or there...or a few good connections and that under the table cash starts to come in regularly....

but in the long run he needs bank records and credit history and a SS#

bob

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Bob,

I believe Chip said "work-study" so I'm guessing it's through a university.

Ricardo,
Damn - NYC cops make that little? I thought it was 35,000 to start. Holly crap!!!

Back on topic...

Chip. He will be fine. Not sure if you ever lived here in NYC but there are tons of Dominicans. Specially if he moves to Washington Heights. He will miss his family like crazy but he'll do fine. There are LEGAL people here that don't make that much money.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Chip the 500 a week he made was through the study/work program but if he had to stay illegally without a SS number he would have to work under the table so I wonder what those jobs pay and how many others he has to compete with.

El Tigre your relatives example is a little different because they are self employed and have other relatives covering for them.

How much money does an illegal make working under the table?

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
How much money does an illegal make working under the table?

It all really depends. I know of some that work in grocery stores making 350 to 450 a week. Depending on the job tenure. Some do apartment cleaning under the books too. There's really no knowing how much an illegal person can make. It depends on what they can do. Construction work is a big avenue for illegals to find work too.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
C

Chip00

FYI - it is a work "study" program but different in that easch student had to find his own job. He makes $500 before taxes currently sweeping floors and stocking working about 10 hours a day. I really am not even sure if he is studying. What is funny is that the last time they went a bunch of students supposedly stayed and yet the program was still able to get the visas.

Do a sizeable portion of the illegals in NY really have a decent future? This kid was studying to be a doctor here in the DR and doing ok and his family wasn't starving by any means - both have full time jobs.

JOKL

Oct 30, 2006
The nephew of a close family friend headed out last week to NY on a "work-study" program and I don't think anybody is expecting his return.

In fact his family all seem to be 100% for it, even his mother. I have voiced my concerns as this kid is studying in the University but much of it is falling on deaf ears. I have to realize that I am fighting a very entrenched attitude about going to NY that many if not most Domincians have.

The kid has been to NY once and was making $500 dollars a week, and the 3 months he was there made more than his old man and mother does in a year. While he was there he did not have to pay room and board nor food. I have told him what he thinks will happen when he is ready to get his own place and he says he will get a raise. I explained to him the cost of living but I don't think he can think clearly. I even had him talk with a few illegal Mexicans in NY to find out what they made and low and behold he finds out they are making less than him - so why in the world would he think the owner of the bodega is going to pay him more than $500 a week for sweeping the floor and stocking the groceries when he can get a Mexican if need be?

Again, I have tried to explain to them that things are getting worse daily for illegals in the US but apparently all they see when the look at me es un baboso. Even his mother wants him to go because they kids he was hanging out with in the DR drink and listen to music while the kids in NY are serious and work hard!!!!! Also, I explained that if he overstays his visa in the US that he can forget about ever returning to the US legally if he ever decides to leave.

His game plan is to try find a girl who is a US citizen to marry and if not - well make it work somehow.

Thanks

First.NYC sucks!! is only for rich and poor..Dominicans live in the poor areas of the city, I have not found any living in Midtown Manhattan or downtown, then you have DR when the minimun wage, -if you are working- is $193 a month!! or $6.43 a day. So is hard to sell to any Dominican to "comeback" home for a better living , if I was him, I would stay and give a try to US. Anyways, It allways will be an opportunity to go back to DR.. deported, legal, or citizen.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Do a sizeable portion of the illegals in NY really have a decent future?

I know many that have come, stayed and live a good life. I know of someone who installs insulation on new homes. The guy runs his own little company and makes about 1000 a week. That's after paying the two LEGAL people he has working for him. He came in the late 90s. It's taken him about 5 years to get the business where it is now. He lives with his girlfriend who is also illegal and they have two US citizen children. Sad, but all true.

Sep 19, 2005
in the bigger town right near where I work in CT,they have been having raids for illegals these past few months....people seem to be up in arms...but they are illegal...right.....and so they always have that risk that if a raid comes and they are in the net...they are gonna get cooked.

bob

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Bob,

Now that you mentioned the raids I just thought of something. Chip do not mean to hijack your thread but...

Can you all imagine what will happen if they do a raid in Washington Heights. OHHHH THE HORROR!!!!!!

C

Chip00

Bob,

Now that you mentioned the raids I just thought of something. Chip do not mean to hijack your thread but...

Can you all imagine what will happen if they do a raid in Washington Heights. OHHHH THE HORROR!!!!!!

As far as hijacking - it happens all the time and I'm probably have been as gulity as anyone.:paranoid:

As far as making an effort to deport anyone from the Heights I would say it would probably be certain political death for anyone to make that call even if it ended up being raiding selected business instead of actual homes.