Man, looking at the news today, where does one start??

Sep 19, 2005
the heated issues raised their ugly heads on the news page here today. How utterly complicated does that first article make politics and justice sound???? It seems ther are just way too many steps needs to get anything down in the DR....and it seems you need some very brave souls to push for justice on a several fronts.

Then the article about families sitting down for coffee to discuss the value of their childs virginity to a tourist. For the life of me and I cant see how anyone can seek out sex with a young virgin, just for sake of having a virgin and not think himself an animal. For me some of the least desirable sex to be had would be with a virgin....unless you are a sadist or yourself very young( roughly the same age as the young woman).

well finally Sosua isnt taking the heat for the sex "industry" news like it seems to always do!!

and then the article about the drug officer getting killed....besides the fact he was assinated...how many people were in that car???????sounded like it was more packed than a cab!!!

bob

Sep 19, 2005
I read them here on the DR1 home page....

.I cant find good access to english newspapers that have domincian republic news...

bob

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I really hope, really really hope they nip this thing in the bud!!! please...we can't have that in the DR, we all know the consequences of this in Asia...its horrific and disgusting. Let them grow, carajo!!!! and throw those parents in jail.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
That schit is disgusting. We caught a pervert/pedophile back in 98 in my barrio and we kicked the beegeesus out of him. Then fed him to the cops.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Some people are so poor, they'll sell their soul to the devil if it means being able to eat for the next week or so.
This is not a question of morality, it only goes to show the extend of poverty and desperation people live under, when a parent has to resort to selling their own children to be able to survive. Don't blame them, blame the ****ing government for their miserable lot in life.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Some people are so poor, they'll sell their soul to the devil if it means being able to eat for the next week or so.
This is not a question of morality, it only goes to show the extend of poverty and desperation people live under, when a parent has to resort to selling their own children to be able to survive. Don't blame them, blame the ****ing government for their miserable lot in life.
There is NO excuse for selling your child, NO MATTER WHAT the circumstances.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Could you post some links where you read them?
Here's the story as reported by DR1:

The realities of sex tourism

The eastern Dominican Republic has become a center for sex tourism, and according to Diario Libre minors and teenagers are at the forefront of this illegal industry. Diario Libre writes that this is the case in Laguna de Nisibon in Higuey, and describes the alarming reality where some parents send their children to work in this business. Speaking on condition of anonymity a woman named "Maria" claimed that foreigners go to people's houses and discuss the price of their children's virginity over a cup of coffee.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The news report makes it sound like it's a common occurence.
The "Maria" story may or may not be true, but it could hardly be common.
As someone pointed out, who would even want to have sex with a virgin, other than the young evangelical type man who marries a girl and he wants her to be a virgin, but I can't see a sex tourist looking for it, unless he had some strange perversion.
The point that I'm having so much difficulty putting into words, is it sounds like BS to me.
I have NEVER heard of a virgin being "sold" in this country, nor have I ever heard of a man requesting one.
I bet it's BS shoddy news reporting again.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
As someone pointed out, who would even want to have sex with a virgin, other than the young evangelical type man who marries a girl and he wants her to be a virgin

I can see you're definitely NOT a Dominican even as long as you have lived down there. This is a huge cultural difference between Dominicans and people from "developed" nations...

To Americans they see the fact that the girl is not a virgin as "not having to start teaching from scratch". It is very hard to explain it to an American, but to Dominicans a girl who has been with someone else is like a used car. Sorry ladies, don't kill me...but that's the truth. Having a choice between a virgin and a non-virgin and all things being equal we will always choose the virgin, because it makes us feel special, whereas the girl who's not a virgin is a question mark...Because...
- You know you weren't her first choice
- You know she will be comparing you to the other(s)
- Diseases caught from other partners?
etc...

Back in the days (and I bet it still happens in some parts of The DR) guys would "return" a girl who turned out to not be a virgin to her parents....and the parents would be very ashamed.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I can see you're definitely NOT a Dominican even as long as you have lived down there. This is a huge cultural difference between Dominicans and people from "developed" nations...

To Americans they see the fact that the girl is not a virgin as "not having to start teaching from scratch". It is very hard to explain it to an American, but to Dominicans a girl who has been with someone else is like a used car. Sorry ladies, don't kill me...but that's the truth. Having a choice between a virgin and a non-virgin and all things being equal we will always choose the virgin, because it makes us feel special, whereas the girl who's not a virgin is a question mark...Because...
etc...

Back in the days (and I bet it still happens in some parts of The DR) guys would "return" a girl who turned out to not be a virgin to her parents....and the parents would be very ashamed.
Yes, I understand this completely.
What I had a hard time believing was that there was such a market for virgins from tourists.
Out of curiosity and looking to validate my opinion on the matter, I just asked a good friend if he thought it was likely, and he informs that it is.
He tells me there are blogs on the net, about guys who travel to foreign countries, looking for virgins, so that they can have unprotected sex and not run risks of diseases.
As I trust this friend who is giving me this info, I have to recant my previous post, that I disbelieved the story.
It really blows me away, considering how long I've been in the hotel biz and never once heard of anyone looking for one, but this may be a market that doesn't come my way.
Anyhow, I apologize for being so wrong, and agree wholeheartedly with those who say there is no excuse for ever selling a child.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I don't think "virgin" is so much the issue as "child".
Yes, of course.
I remember a child thing going on in Boca Chica some odd 10 years or more ago.
I guess it's moved to another part of the country.
I wonder if they are talking about the Punta Cana area, when they say "in the East".
Considering it's almost wall to wall all inclusive resorts, one wouldn't think the single man traveler would be going down that way looking for chicas.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
Farmers in Thailand would sell their children for $600 US for the child sex slave business

It got so bad the US created laws for US citizens who travel to these countries for sex

30 years is the appropriate sentence and that's what they get and deserve

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
This happens away from the resort, too.

About a month ago, a well known man in Higuey spent about four days in jail after having sex with a minor. The girl's parents wanted mill?n y medio de pesos, but settled for medio y pico.

Rumor has it the parents persuaded the girl to go out with the guy. I've heard it's not that uncommon for parents to do this, then sue.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Having a choice between a virgin and a non-virgin and all things being equal we will always choose the virgin, because it makes us feel special, whereas the girl who's not a virgin is a question mark...Because...
etc...

Always choose a virgin? Not here. Not ever. A non-virgin knows what she likes, and if she likes me, then I must be a stud and not a dud. Besides, most girls speak negatively about their first experiences.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
This happens away from the resort, too.

About a month ago, a well known man in Higuey spent about four days in jail after having sex with a minor. The girl's parents wanted mill?n y medio de pesos, but settled for medio y pico.

Rumor has it the parents persuaded the girl to go out with the guy. I've heard it's not that uncommon for parents to do this, then sue.
The parents should get equal punishment.
They're no better than the guy.