What Bachata has became..

Tallman1680

On Vacation
Oct 7, 2006
Merengue before the Trujillo Era was consider a poor low class people music, but after Trujillo took power in 1930 the music took off and more people got to like it, maybe because Trujillo like it and had a band name after him since he was El Jefe (The Boss) people had to like it dance it the same way he did.
Almost the same thing is happening to Bachata, once a low class poor people music is being now accepted by more people everyday.
What is your opinion, about Bachata???, can it replace merengue for good???

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Merengue before the Trujillo Era was consider a poor low class people music, but after Trujillo took power in 1930 the music took off and more people got to like it, maybe because Trujillo like it and had a band name after him since he was El Jefe (The Boss) people had to like it dance it the same way he did.
Almost the same thing is happening to Bachata, once a low class poor people music is being now accepted by more people everyday.
What is your opinion, about Bachata???, can it replace merengue for good???

Notwithstanding certain historical accounts, the development and popularization of merengue had nothing to do with Trujillo. When Trujillo became El Jefe ("The Chief"), the population of the DR was over 70 per cent rural. As urbanization took hold, and city dwellers represented about 60 per cent of the population by the time "El Chief-O" (El Chivo) was assasinated, the favorite country music, the merengue, had gained popularity in most urban centers of the DR. You cannot talk about "merengue" or "bachata" as fixed musical styles, they have evolved throughout the years. The original merengues and bachatas are practically unrecognizable by today's standards of "merengue" and "bachata".

Tallman1680

On Vacation
Oct 7, 2006
When Trujillo took power in 1930, the music we know today as merengue was nothing and the known back them as high class did't like this music, Trujillo was a big influence of this music growing and becaming was it's today if you read La Fiesta Del Chivo by Vargas LLosa you will find out about this.
My point in this Thread is that bachata has grow in the same way merengue did back in the 70's and 80's, when they were real merengue bands, not the Porqueria we have today with very few exceptions.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
When Trujillo took power in 1930, the music we know today as merengue was nothing and the known back them as high class did't like this music, Trujillo was a big influence of this music growing and becaming was it's today if you read La Fiesta Del Chivo by Vargas LLosa you will find out about this.
My point in this Thread is that bachata has grow in the same way merengue did back in the 70's and 80's, when they were real merengue bands, not the Porqueria we have today with very few exceptions.

Tallman, I'm obligated to tell you, but "La Fiesta del Chivo" is a novel, and a poorly written one to boot, penned by a Peruvian writer of questionable repute. Please don't use it as a source for things Dominican.

Tallman1680

On Vacation
Oct 7, 2006
It's not my only source, I had done tons of research and spoke to old people that remember those days, and it was the way I tell you.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
It always is! but don't tell me, tell it to Edison...;)
No way ... I might see the light :laugh::laugh:

OK; enough off topic... What has Bachata become? I've also heard the stories from the old folks about merengue, and the stigma ... and also about Bachata? It is now so popular, but still in some old circles, just not quite pc.

My neighbors, on Sunday nights, used to blast traditional merengue right across the whole neighborhood ... drowning out two dance halls ... so, I got to know traditional merengue quite well ;)

Last edited:

scotpgot

May 26, 2004
www.jazzwriter.com
In my own little mind, I equate the Bachata (and a lesser extent the Merengue) to country-western music in the states. It seems to be more popular in rural areas than in large cities (where I think it is more likely to hear Reggaeton and Salsa).

I took a dance lesson the other day (hehe, typical Gringo, I know) and was learning the Bachata and definitely got the distinct feeling I was learning to line dance. :D

Tallman1680

On Vacation
Oct 7, 2006
Bachata has taken a change from what it was to it's today, Bachata bands are now modern and young, Bachata use to be a older folks type of musis, but gruops like Aventura had change the face of Bachata taking it to the younger crows and get it to the international scene, I think eventually Bachata will replace merengue for Good!!!!!

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Bachata is my absolute favorite type of music and I have compared it to Country Music, because it seems to address the same topics of eternal love, lost love and crying in their beer (or rum).....but line dancing? No way!
Anyway, I don't think Bachata will replace Merengue. Merengue is Merengue, Salsa is Salsa and Bachata is Bachata. Different types of music and dancing, although the topics may be the same.
Traditional Bachata reminds me a lot of the Cuban Son, all instrumental and slow.
Aventura made Bachata more internationally known, but there are other Dominican Bachata artists like Frank Reyes and Antony Santos who are getting known in a lot of European countries and of course North America. Maybe I should mention Juan Louis Guerra.
Traditional Merengue like the "Tipico" has enjoyed a tremendeous popularity in the past few years. Personally I don't like it, but who am I to pass judgement?
I didn't like Bachata when I first encounterd it.

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
they talk to much

i love bachata but nowdays you have these young groups who are breaking tradition like aventura. they will start the song talking garbage and you dont even get to listen to the actual song till after a minute or so after it has begun. Dont get me wrong i like what aventura has done for the genre but they need to keep their mouths shut and just sing. if you are going to talk make it a few seconds not a whole minute.

Ben

Feb 2, 2004
Bachata is my absolute favorite type of music and I have compared it to Country Music, because it seems to address the same topics of eternal love, lost love and crying in their beer (or rum).....but line dancing? No way!.

I agree with Snowbird44. Bachata has become my favorite too. I'm pleased to be hearing more of it here in the USA. Unfortunately not many of us gringos know how to dance it yet (maybe that's why the dance floor empties when Bachata comes on at Salsa club). Here in Boston/Cambridge a group of us get together to dance Bachata every week and it's a blast.

"El Mayimbe" Anthony Santos will be performing in Boston in a few weeks I'll be there.

Ben

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
Pretty soon Bachata will be a memory if things keep going the way the seem to be. The key word now is "REGETON" or as I like to call the thing "REGERETON". I can not believe that it is playing in all the youth places. I even heard it in Pedernales. Move over Mayimbe and Tulele 'cause Daddy Yankee and the Godfather are coming...

Tallman1680

On Vacation
Oct 7, 2006
I do not agree with Motorcycler, the so call REGRETON aka "BAGAMUNDERIA", will never replace bachata or merengue these real traditional Dominican music, REGETON is a "MUT" of Jamaican reggae and American hip-hop, mix with BAGAMUNDERIA lyrics, have you seen what a hit was the bachata concert even in Espana was??