Chickens on hormones

C

Chip00

I was talking to a butcher who works in the local Supermecado at night and at a Vets operation during the day. He tells me that they sell a lot of hormones to the chicken plants. Also, he tells me that 37 days from hatching these chicken already weight more than 3 lbs!!! Holy smokes! I eat chicken three times a week. Am I going to start looking like Arnold at some point and what about my two little girls???

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You live in a fantasy world. Hormones for chickens were alive and well in the DR for some years already. If you're not buying direct from the farmer (and understanding what the farmer feeds their chickens), you're eating straight hormones. I personally will not feed any child supermarket chicken.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
As a matter of fact it is you that lives in a fantasy world Christine as I eat my chicken and fish directly from the fishermen and families that breed their own chickens, I dont know why sometimes you are so unpleasant to many of the posters on here, it is so unnecessary

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Have Had My Own Chickens For Years!

They not only keep my yard free from bugs and other "Creepy Crawlys" they give lots of eggs,anf they taste good too!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You live in a fantasy world if you think that commercial chicken and fish is free of hormones in the DR. Your own words ..

Oh Chip I hope they are not going to start with all the chemicals etc here, the one thing Ive noticed/enjoyed is the great natural taste of the chicken and fish here

and .. all of a sudden, you buy from 'fisherman' and 'families that breed their own chickens' ... and you've never heard of a 'growth hormone'?.

Ay Ay ... those whom the shoe fits ....

Last edited:

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
As we're all aware, in the UK and other countries, they pack the chickens full of growth hormones etc and the supermarket chickens are huge, with breasts like 'Dolly Parton'. Also, they're packed full of a lot of water to increase the weight which is apparent if you fry them. I have to admit I've been misled into thinking the chickens here were 'natural' because they're so bloomin' small.....no leftovers going in our fridge..... Also the taste and texture is far superior to any mass produced bird I'd eaten in UK. I'd always tried to buy organic but it wasn't always possible, plus the price of an organic bird was approximately treble.....still worth it though, to avoid stuffing the girls full of steroids.......

So why are the birds still so small? Is it something to do with the breed or is it because they haven't yet 'got into the swing of it' with the amount of growth hormones they're feeding them?

Last edited:
C

Chip00

As we're all aware, in the UK and other countries, they pack the chickens full of growth hormones etc and the supermarket chickens are huge, with breasts like 'Dolly Parton'. Also, they're packed full of a lot of water to increase the weight which is apparent if you fry them. I have to admit I've been misled into thinking the chickens here were 'natural' because they're so bloomin' small.....no leftovers going in our fridge..... Also the taste and texture is far superior to any mass produced bird I'd eaten in UK. I'd always tried to buy organic but it wasn't always possible, plus the price of an organic bird was approximately treble.....still worth it though, to avoid stuffing the girls full of steroids.......

So why are the birds still so small? Is it something to do with the breed or is it because they haven't yet 'got into the swing of it' with the amount of growth hormones they're feeding them?

According to the fellow at the vet although they do sell hormones there are other drugs which are available to the chicken breeder but that they typically don't buy themn do their high cost.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Which is why you see so many Dominican females with larger breasts now.....back when we first started coming to the DR most women had large hips/butts and small 'pecs' however now that has changed. Also younger girls are a lot 'chestier' than they used to bew (could just be due to the fact that they're a lot fatter than they used to be also!)

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Estrogen, not Arnolds prefered:

The hormones given to livestock and poultry for weight gain are Estrogens, the female hormone... not at all what Arnold would have wanted. In other words, not anabolica, not a muscle building hormone.
Estrogens have a side effect... water retention! Basically they are banking on that side effect... water adds weight. People like bodybuilders who take anabolica (testosterone) can face similar problems because some of the excess testosterone will aromtize to estrogen, then they have to fight water retention and growing breast tissue (bitch tits).
There are theories about a link between people eat hormone boosted meat and who suffer of water retention and even lack of virility.

In Europe a chicken will see it's last sunrise on it's 27th day, because their growth ratio is less from there on while they eat more.

Enjoy your meal.
... J-D.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
In the US they also feed them antibiotics so they don't become sick-- if you are allergic-- keep that in mind. A friend of mind had to switch to organic chickens---(eventually she didn't eat them them at all-- they're very expensive-- or they were.) because she is allergic to antibiotics and she broke out in hives everytime she ate them!!!

Sep 19, 2005
CCC its a hen house you want???here you go....

65zvhax.jpg

here is a little closer view...not a meat operation....but they got a little operation goin gon here...huh
4uat3b9.jpg

bob

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Someone important (like the WHO or some other "health" organization ) did a study a few years ago in Ecuador, or Peru, or some other nearby South American country- it positively connected hormones present in chickens with a huge increase in girls aged 9 to 12 sprouting their female accessories much too early.